Thailand reports new daily record of 5,485 new COVID-19 cases, 19 new deaths

webfact

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not really sure I have an "angle", nor do I profess to be an expert in interpreting statistics.  I thought a Forum like this was a place to express opinions, so I don't know why people are getting so touchy.   The increase today is depressing but I still don't see the doom & gloom that others do, and some seem to relish, especially while fatality rates remain so low.  

No one relish's the numbers or becomes overly happy when the numbers keep moving upwards.  We express what we see much like your view, except we are more realistic with what is happening and express disappointment that they have not gone further outside of the Areas to get ahead of the spread.  Yes we can agree to disagree.  The numbers are not stable, as to me stable would indicate this was on the back end and soon to be zero in all privinces.  As I said if you do not test en-mass and equally in all provinces, you may never know.  They need to have teams on the ground from the MOPH rolling to Areas to check and get ahead of the spread, not wait until a cluster pops up which makes one cringe.

• Like 2

Of the 5,485 new cases that were found in the past 24 hours:

- 1,205 were found via tests at medical facilities

- 2,270 via proactive tests at known clusters

- 1,953 via tests at prisons

- 57 imported cases

- 19 fatalities

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1399237694790586369

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Official #COVID19 update in #Thailand on Monday:

Since 1 April 2021 130,929 people infected (+57 imported cases & +5,428 local cases)

937 dead +19

50,416 in care

1,233 in ICU &

390 on ventilators

3,101 discharged from care

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1399237538934497283

1233 in ICU and 390 on ventilators.  These are the groups that represent the level of urgency in vaccinating everyone.  Additionally the 3101 discharged from care should be watched as well to see if they have any long term lingering medical issues from what is termed "Long Covid"

• Sad 1

the 3,475 local cases (excluding the cases in prisons and imported cases), the highest numbers by province were 1,356 in Bangkok followed by 555 in Phetchaburi, 358 in Samut Prakan, 327 in Saraburi and 211 in Pathum Thani

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1399238798970527744

That grey haired Doctor dude did say we may reach 10,000 a day at some point during this wave.

Unfortunately, looks like he could be right.

Also, I see/hope nothing opens (bars, beaches, etc.).  How can they just motivates people from Bangkok to travel which is not a good idea now.

Edited by bkk6060

If it is true that Sinovac is only effective after the second shot, how can the newly proposed strategies possibly work.  The cat is out of the bag.  The virus is here now.  From what I see the social distancing/mask wearing behaviours are good.  We need good vaccines immediately and this is the only way back to a normal way.

• Like 1

Bangkok province report for the day: 1,356 new COVID cases and 12 new deaths reported on Monday. Cumulative totals for Bangkok since the start of the current third wave of Thailand's pandemic on April 1 stand at 41,573 cases and 462 deaths, for a case fatality rate of 1.11 percent.

Screenshot_2.jpg.a579929d501ab6924f9a6a72188516d2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/336038334681164/?type=3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Ministry of Public Health charts showing how Thailand is faring versus other countries and its regional neighbors ranked by total COVID cases since the start of the pandemic. In Monday's update, Thailand rose to now rank 82nd out of more than 200 countries based on total cumulative COVID cases.

Screenshot_10.jpg.3c653bd10398216c1e908223d2f82202.jpg

Screenshot_11.jpg.31162ef161a812274f98b2c9c7631e9b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/336038144681183/?type=3

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

About 1.67 percent of the population is fully vaccinated, with 2,498,929 (+45,122) people received the first dose, while 1,110,953 (+16,430) received the second dose.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1399238958333054977

These vaccination numbers remain very low. Getting them to increase ten fold as the government seems to anticipate they will, seems a big ask.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For starters, for the record, anyone who thinks they could or should be able to resume their "normal" life -- which I take to mean begin ignoring COVID safety measures -- just because they've received a single vaccine dose is simply wrong and ill-informed.

That said, there is an argument to be made that in places/countries where there's a shortage of available vaccines such as Thailand, it may be better to try to get first vaccine doses into as many people as possible first, before then moving on to second doses.

That approach is rooted in the understanding that even a first dose only is going to provide a reasonable level of protection against serious COVID illness and death, with some vaccines doing better in that regard than others. And also, some emerging research that shows vaccine effectiveness can be improved with longer intervals until the second dose.

But obviously, people will get the most protection out of whatever vaccine they're being given once they've received the second dose. And even then, especially when many in the public remain unvaccinated, it's still best if everyone at least for the timebeing continues to practice COVID safety measures.

Sorry I dont agree with you. Older people with underlining conditions need 2 vaccinations. They need to be fully vaccinated or else you're playing with their lives. One jab might work for younger people but not the elderly.  

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I think you need to educate yourself on trend lines and spikes.  If you call a difference of 2,070 (Apr. 23) to 4528 (May 30) infections a narrow range you really don't know what you're talking about. That's well more than doubled in 5 weeks and quadrupled in the 8 wks since Apr. 1.

As you know, I was referring to community cases, not those in prisons.

Until today, community cases have been in a stable range for a month.

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

As you know, I was referring to community cases, not those in prisons.

Until today, community cases have been in a stable range for a month.

No they've been trending up in Thailand where are you?

14 minutes ago, Saddic said:

They must be running out for prisoners to blame the exponential increased numbers on by now...

They are now reverting to the illegal returnees from Malaysia which will now assume the number one mantle of who is to blame for the continued spread.

12 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Of the 5,485 new cases that were found in the past 24 hours:

- 1,205 were found via tests at medical facilities

- 2,270 via proactive tests at known clusters

- 1,953 via tests at prisons

- 57 imported cases

- 19 fatalities

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1399237694790586369

Today’s spike is due to finding new hotspots. That could be good news, as hospital walk-ins are not increasing.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Also 12 shots from a Vail containing 10 Shots has been muted.

So in effect only 40% of the Vaccine that should be given to achieve immunity,

Is Thailand really this poor now ?

Poor no, cheap yes

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi announces 62 new cases of Covid- 19 with three new deaths

The Chonburi Department of Public Health announced 62 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 today, May 31st with three new deaths, mostly driven by clusters at factories and migrant worker camps.

This makes a total of 4,669 cases of Covid-19 in the current round of infections, with 992 still in medical care, and with a total of 28 recorded deaths in Chonburi since the start of this recent round of infections in early April. Three additional deaths were announced this morning although details were not released.

Additionally, 3,649 people in total have now been released from medical care and fully recovered since this current wave began. 41 people were released yesterday.

189080823_2047164325435387_2994454834778710710_n.jpg?resize=521%2C720&ssl=1

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/31/chonburi-announces-62-new-cases-of-covid-19-with-three-new-deaths/

Pattaya is under controll . Only two new Covid 19 yesterday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just heard news that schools here in Bangkok will be opening up on the 14th, so in 2 weeks.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  

My daughters due back in her Pattaya school 14th, I wont hold my breath. wife reckons it wont happen, but they might extend the term

30 minutes ago, Excel said:

And boy didn't Thaksin get the wroth of the corrupt when he highlighted in 2007 exactly who had these offshore accounts. Unfortuanately it is the same families and their syhcophants who are still running this country so hence the poor are expendable in their eyes

Indeed and it was Thaksin's clampdown on the govt. banks (KTB etc.) giving and then forgiving billions worth of loans to their mates who couldn't pay them back including Sondti L. which sparked the initial yellow shirt protests engineered and propagated by his media company.

Not to veer too much off topic but there seems to be a widespread belief among Thais now that a Thaksin led administration would have performed far better than the current military goon squad. 

I'm not sure if that would be the case and I think that any administration would struggle under the same conditions but it indicates the growing levels of deep dissatisfaction from the public with the current government.  

This government is certainly the most unpopular since I have been here and that includes Gen. Suchinda, Abhisit and the laughable Leekpai terms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Strange how they seemingly managed to escape 1 year and now suddely this spike. 

It's happening in every (edit: unvaccinated in this region) country afaik. Vietnam hit 500 cases yesterday, and Taiwan has been around 600 for a while.

Keep in mind Taiwan is 1/3 population, so not dramatically lower on a per capita basis (with deaths actually higher). Of course there's more confidence in the numbers reported in Taiwan, but fair to say short of a lockdown as strict as last year, there was no containing this.

Edited by jacob29

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Today’s spike is due to finding new hotspots. That could be good news, as hospital walk-ins are not increasing.

Todays "spike" is and increase from "known clusters" is what it says, there is no mention of new hotspots stop changing what you've quoted to suit your conformation bias.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed and it was Thaksin's clampdown on the govt. banks (KTB etc.) giving and then forgiving billions worth of loans to their mates who couldn't pay them back including Sondti L. which sparked the initial yellow shirt protests engineered and propagated by his media company.

Not to veer too much off topic but there seems to be a widespread belief among Thais now that a Thaksin led administration would have performed far better than the current military goon squad. 

I'm not sure if that would be the case and I think that any administration would struggle under the same conditions but it indicates the growing levels of deep dissatisfaction from the public with the current government.  

This government is certainly the most unpopular since I have been here and that includes Gen. Suchinda, Abhisit and the laughable Leekpai terms.

Not only the most unpopular but also the most incompetent governments.