Thailand reports new daily record of 5,485 new COVID-19 cases, 19 new deaths

webfact

Despite this increase in total numbers the more positive news is that nation wide cases are minimal or  not evident.

If that is genuinely so then containment and detection can be more effectively focused and implemented in the collective red zones.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Happening now: Thai PM

presents the 2022 draft budget bill to parliament, weighing in at 3.1 trillion Baht ($99bn), 186bn Baht less than the 2021 budget. It includes an emergency fund of 89 billion Baht for issues related to #COVID19 and its economic fallout.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1399203903434985476

Wow spending big at 89 billion baht on Covid related issues.  Are those medical expenses for hospitals and the vaccines, or is that to be spent on the recovery of Thailand by helping the citizens who are in dire need.  I think this governments likes the fact that people like many of us including those Thais who continue weekly to care for certain families and also in giving handouts.  In fact I believe they have begun to rely on the help from the people in Thailand helping the others, this way they do not have to.  My opinion and my view.  Tell me I am wrong, show me the facts and I will apologize for my post being wrong.

Edited by ThailandRyan

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not just Thailand. Same for the whole of SE Asia and Indian subcontinent.

What is happening now is what was expected a year ago.

NO.

They were let down by the hot weather and spicy food which protected them last year.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, club said:

I see where they are pushing the one jab nonsense.  

For starters, for the record, anyone who thinks they could or should be able to resume their "normal" life -- which I take to mean begin ignoring COVID safety measures -- just because they've received a single vaccine dose is simply wrong and ill-informed.

That said, there is an argument to be made that in places/countries where there's a shortage of available vaccines such as Thailand, it may be better to try to get first vaccine doses into as many people as possible first, before then moving on to second doses.

That approach is rooted in the understanding that even a first dose only is going to provide a reasonable level of protection against serious COVID illness and death, with some vaccines doing better in that regard than others. And also, some emerging research that shows vaccine effectiveness can be improved with longer intervals until the second dose.

But obviously, people will get the most protection out of whatever vaccine they're being given once they've received the second dose. And even then, especially when many in the public remain unvaccinated, it's still best if everyone at least for the timebeing continues to practice COVID safety measures.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

“It’s the spicy food” they said.

”Its because of the masks” they said

”it’s because they shower 3 times a day” they said.

”It’s because they don’t shake hands” they said.

And my personal favorite “Thais have a genetic immunity to Covid” they said (this one is so utterly laughable).

So come on genuiuses...what has changed? Please do tell.

Masks help a lot in preventing transmission the rest is quite obviouly nonsence and anyone who believes these things needs help. What has changed is the UK variant got here and it was well known that this variant is highly transmissable yet the empty heads in the government allowed it to spread.

Illegal Returnees Concern Govt

BANGKOK, May 31 (TNA) – The Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration expresses concern about illegal returnees as Malaysia will impose a national lockdown.

CCSA deputy spokesperson Apisamai Srirangson said CCSA was worried that Thai people might be trying to sneak in through southern border provinces as the Malaysian government announced to impose a national lockdown from June 1 to 14.

The provinces of concern were Songkhla, Yala, Narathiwat and Satun and the governors of the provinces were urged to cooperate with security authorities to block illegal immigration, she said.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-706916

Edited by anchadian

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wow spending big at 89 billion baht on Covid related issues.  Are those medical expenses for hospitals and the vaccines, or is that to be spent on the recovery of Thailand by helping the citizens who are in dire need.  I think this governments likes the fact that people like many of us including those Thais who continue weekly to care for certain families and also in giving handouts.  In fact I believe they have begun to rely on the help from the people in Thailand helping the others, this way they do not have to.  My opinion and my view.  Tell me I am wrong, show me the facts and I will apologize for my post being wrong.

This 'Government' cares nothing for the poor people or you or me and the majority of this 'fund' will end up in certain people's accounts in the British Virgin Islands !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For starters, for the record, anyone who thinks they could or should be able to resume their "normal" life -- which I take to mean begin ignoring COVID safety measures -- just because they've received a single vaccine dose is simply wrong and ill-informed.

That said, there is an argument to be made that in places/countries where there's a shortage of available vaccines such as Thailand, it may be better to try to get first vaccine doses into as many people as possible first, before then moving on to second doses.

That approach is rooted in the understanding that even a first dose only is going to provide a reasonable level of protection against serious COVID illness and death, with some vaccines doing better in that regard than others. And also, some emerging research that shows vaccine effectiveness can be improved with longer intervals until the second dose.

But obviously, people will get the most protection out of whatever vaccine they're being given once they've received the second dose. And even then, especially when many in the public remain unvaccinated, it's still best if everyone at least for the timebeing continues to practice COVID safety measures.

It depends on how effective 1 dose of a particular vaccine can be over time.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

At this point, any increase at all that is sustained would make opening up again anytime soon problematic.  But, a lot depends on where these new cases are located. If there is a cluster of 1,000 in a factory in Udon Thani, that’s a manageable issue, but if most of the new cases are in the greater Bangkok area, that’s going to mean that hotspots are getting out of control.

Manageable ? Statistcally they couldn't manage a condom shortage in a brothel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its never too late but the tipping point has already come and been in my opinion.

Its a long haul struggle now with few vaccines and no lockdowns apart from the bubble and seal ones where they lock up all the migrants to reach herd immunity, that saves them a few dollars on vaccines for them.

The deaths? Do they really care that much, evidence with the road deaths implies that's a no. I agree the UK took strict lockdowns and one of the worlds fastest vaccine campaigns but then it still took months to get where it is now. Thailand with no lockdowns and minimal vaccines.........disaster.

I am tempted to strongly disagree with your last couple of sentences.

Based on so many expats in these forums, Thailand's has one of the best Covid responses in the world.

So, it's not really possible that things could be out of control in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I’ve added two red lines to the rolling 7 day average for Covid cases. Please excuse my amateurish effort.

I believe any sharp upward movement out of the two red lines followed by a sharp downward movement back within them, represents a spike. Any similar movement downward out of the lines and then back within them, represents a dip. Movements within the red lines represents a a trend.

because the two red lines rise when going from left to right, cases in Thailand are in an upward trend.

is there an explanation I have missed?

97BFC32D-D85C-4003-974A-080C8ECC9ED7.png

5CC8CB5A-DAD0-4617-86C3-F956E4477F16.jpeg

If you increase the space between the dates 10 fold and put the 4000 where the 500 is on the cases axis then it would appear that infection has levelled off since April 1st.

I think that my be the graph that some are looking at who argue the stable horse hasn't bolted line of argument.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

This 'Government' cares nothing for the poor people or you or me and the majority of this 'fund' will end up in certain people's accounts in the British Virgin Islands !

And boy didn't Thaksin get the wroth of the corrupt when he highlighted in 2007 exactly who had these offshore accounts. Unfortuanately it is the same families and their syhcophants who are still running this country so hence the poor are expendable in their eyes

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I am tempted to strongly disagree with your last couple of sentences.

Based on so many expats in these forums, Thailand's has one of the best Covid responses in the world.

So, it's not really possible that things could be out of control in Thailand.

And Mickey Mouse is my house guest this week ????????????????????????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, club said:

I see where they are pushing the one jab nonsense.  

Also 12 shots from a Vail containing 10 Shots has been muted.

So in effect only 40% of the Vaccine that should be given to achieve immunity,

Is Thailand really this poor now ?

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If you increase the space between the dates 10 fold and put the 4000 where the 500 is on the cases axis then it would appear that infection has levelled off since April 1st.

I think that my be the graph that some are looking at who argue the stable horse hasn't bolted line of argument.

Dang, I didn’t think of that. There’s me thinking you’re not allowed to change the data points. No wonder I never made it as a government statistician. ????????‍♂️

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, phills2k1 said:

In all seriousness, what's your angle? Why do you spend so much time ignoring reality or just finding the tiniest shred of "at least..." to latch on to?

Earlier this week, after two days of the numbers dropping from a record high, you were digging in on "the numbers are going down!" when we all knew that a brief drop of ANNOUNCED cases from the record high was completely inconsequential in the long run

And no surprise, we're at a record high of ANNOUNCED cases just a few days later, and instead you harp on the semantics of "it's not exponential"

I completely get wanting to maintain some sort of optimism, but choosing to do it in a public forum while completely ignoring science (and quite frankly, reality), and knowingly making these blatantly wrong assertions to people is just so freaking ridiculous

I'm not really sure I have an "angle", nor do I profess to be an expert in interpreting statistics.  I thought a Forum like this was a place to express opinions, so I don't know why people are getting so touchy.   The increase today is depressing but I still don't see the doom & gloom that others do, and some seem to relish, especially while fatality rates remain so low.  

• Like 1

Official #COVID19 update in #Thailand on Monday:

Since 1 April 2021 130,929 people infected (+57 imported cases & +5,428 local cases)

937 dead +19

50,416 in care

1,233 in ICU &

390 on ventilators

3,101 discharged from care

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1399237538934497283

• Like 1