Villagers increasingly opt to end open defecation habit

geovalin

For more than half a century, Bun Yon, a 62-year-old villager in Kampong Cham province’s Sdao commune, has lived a life without a toilet. “My neighbours and I had always relieved ourselves in the bush or at the riverbank,” he says. “It was just our way of life.”

However, Yon says his shameful early morning routine has now become a thing of the past. “After most people in my village had their own toilets, I also wanted to have my own,” he says. “But, I didn’t have any money.”

Yon says he had received a toilet bowl and some concrete storage rings from the commune authority as part of the effort to implement the “open defecation free” policy. But, he says he still needed at least $500 more to pay for the building of a brick wall and putting in the roof with iron sheets.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50865075/villagers-increasingly-opt-to-end-open-defecation-habit/

• Haha 1

Learned about this topic during sustainability class. It covered India and Cambodia. It is actually very little that building a toilet costs, and kiva.org is full of cases where people are looking for help with funding it. If you want to help, check that website. It's even a loan - so the once repaid, it can be loaned to another. Contribution is just 25$ per person with several backers. So if you wish to help, that's where it is easiest to do it.

https://www.kiva.org/lend-by-category/water-and-sanitation

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

News Flash, 1625, London.

Rats eat human poop. Rats attract fleas infected with Yersinia pestis - which causes the Black Death. Please dig a hole, plop in it, then fill in the hole.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rVBKxt_2ud4/V4dA3r_camI/AAAAAAABDbU/XI8xmeqpoXkiTflWHjAYPnwyniz_zOT7QCLcB/s1600/bd01.jpg

Recent (2018) studies show that rats were wrongly blamed for Black Death.  It was body lice.

Poor people used to share beds, beds made from hay and perfect conditions for the lice to breed.

Even though whole streets shared the same sewer, not every household got affected.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sharksy said:

Recent (2018) studies show that rats were wrongly blamed for Black Death.  It was body lice.

Poor people used to share beds, beds made from hay and perfect conditions for the lice to breed.

Even though whole streets shared the same sewer, not every household got affected.

Are you aware of the difference between hypotheses and theory?

The study suggests that rats were wrongly blamed for Black Death.

The bubonic plague is still being spread by rat bearing fleas:

"In cases of plague since the late 1800s—including an outbreak in Madagascar in 2017—rats and other rodents helped spread the disease. If Y. pestis infects rats, the bacterium can pass to fleas that drink the rodents’ blood. When a plague-stricken rat dies, its parasites abandon the corpse and may go on to bite humans.

Because of rats’ role in modern plagues, as well as genetic evidence that medieval plague victims died of Y. pestis, many experts think that rats also spread plague during the Second Pandemic."

The counter hypotheses:

" But some historians argue that the Black Death may have spread differently. For one, the Black Death tore through Europe far faster than any modern plague outbreaks. In addition, “rat falls” precede some modern outbreaks, but medieval plague records don’t mention rats dying en masse.

“Geneticists and modern historians were putting the rat into the position [of spreading the plague] and were straining bits of evidence,” says Samuel Cohn, a University of Glasgow medieval historian who has criticised the rat-flea theory."

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/2018/01/maybe-rats-arent-blame-great-plague-london

• Like 2