Thailand reports 2,230 new COVID-19 cases, 38 new deaths

webfact

Good to see a fall in the numbers, even if the community transmissions are still around 2,000 per day. Be interesting to see if the prisons and factories infections take off again.

Per capita, Thailand is still one of the best performing countries https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries and just comparing to Malaysia next door with less than half the Thai population, see graph..

I was temperature checked yesterday by the local health volunteer and asked for my details (passport and recent quarantine papers) as we're visiting my partner's village. How many countries have such system when people visit a village?

I'm confident we'll see the numbers drop week by week during June. Not perfect, but their processes and the community are up to the task.

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 2.51.21 PM.jpg

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Appreciate it has changed again but I was talking of Sept-Nov last year where 3 tests were standard. So it appears from what you said they relaxed the 3 to 2 possibly early this year and have now reverted to 3 again, is that your thinking ?

Had 2 in Sept.

• Like 1

Looks like herd immunity might be kicking in, which is good to see. I'm amazed by Thailand's death rate, which has consistently hovered around the 1% mark, well below the 5-10% a lot of countries have experienced. I always thought covid didn't stand a chance against the high vitamin C diet adhered to by such committed chilli eaters. And that assumption has definitely been validated. That's a huge plug for somtum! I'll take that over a risky shot of protein spikes any day.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, anchadian said:

It’s pretty clear that Thailand needs to try much harder if it’s to move up the leader board.

I’m not an expert in bungling and ineptness, but here are my suggestions just the same:

Immediately remove all restrictions, especially in the large urban centers. Offer big discounts for crowded bus travel and at poorly ventilated food courts. Hand out free tickets to popular movies. Incentivize throwing parties, especially in the Thonglor area (seems to have been an effective strategy not so long ago). Replay the Songkran holiday, and this time make it longer.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, anchadian said:

The naming of COVID variants invites another pandemic – of racism

Many Thais were shocked and frustrated at international news reports identifying a “Thai variant” of COVID-19 last week. Among them was Medical Sciences Department director-general Dr. Supakit Sirilak, who said it was unfair to describe the variant as “Thai” since the country had seen only one case – and that was imported.

Meanwhile, the Indian government demanded that social media platforms remove all references to the “Indian variant” of COVID-19, saying the term is not scientifically accurate and damages the country’s image.

Such reactions have nudged many people to dig deeper into how variants are named.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-naming-of-covid-variants-invites-another-pandemic-of-racism/

snowflake wokeness gone global

44 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So for you it is a non story.  But lets look at it this way, a vaccinated tourist arrives in Phuket and gets infected, and is then hospitalized for 2 weeks or so, or maybe many vaccinated tourists get infected, what kind of spin will be put on that to save the tourism industry......

Apologies, I didn’t explain myself well.

for me it’s a non story because it’s not unexpected and of no real life consequence. When things are back to “normal”, this will be common place.

I agree, local thai folk who believe in witchcraft may well spin a conspiracy theory that maybe vaccines are no good because you can still catch Covid.

And, as you say, if a tourist brings in Covid (which is not unlikely given that children don’t have to be vaccinated) or catches Covid  then there may be a backlash from locals who get scared.

the former example is the bigger issue I think because it may reinforce the nonvaxxers  among thai people. I don’t see the latter as such a big issue because I suspect the number of normal tourists that arrive in the next 6 months will be so small as to be negligible.

2 hours ago, robbioff said:

The Myanmar figure is quite low. Is that because the army has been busy wiping everyone who hates them out? (things have gone very quiet over there)

Frankly I don't trust any figures from SE Asia. The whole lot is run by a bunch of crooks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

The delays are real folks.

The first shipments of AstraZenenca COVID-19 vaccine from Thailand's Siam Bioscience to the Philippines have been delayed, an advisor to the president told

@Reuters in Manila

https://twitter.com/TostevinM/status/1399672365659815943

Wait they were selling the AZ to other countries instead of using it here first, no way, lies, blasphemy, or yes we knew that that's what they would do, got to make money first before you vaccinate your own peeps.  incredible.....

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Donga said:

Good to see a fall in the numbers, even if the community transmissions are still around 2,000 per day. Be interesting to see if the prisons and factories infections take off again.

Per capita, Thailand is still one of the best performing countries https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries and just comparing to Malaysia next door with less than half the Thai population, see graph..

I was temperature checked yesterday by the local health volunteer and asked for my details (passport and recent quarantine papers) as we're visiting my partner's village. How many countries have such system when people visit a village?

I'm confident we'll see the numbers drop week by week during June. Not perfect, but their processes and the community are up to the task.

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 2.51.21 PM.jpg

With such a high percentage of asymptomatic cases a temperature check is pretty meaningless.

I mean, if you have a fever you usually know it yourself without having any kind of temperature check. And if you are asymptomatic, then the temperature check tells you nothing.

but it’s good that the locals are checking up on farang visitors....I guess.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Wait they were selling the AZ to other countries instead of using it here first, no way, lies, blasphemy, or yes we knew that that's what they would do, got to make money first before you vaccinate your own peeps.  incredible.....

I think it was part of the contractual obligations involved when setting up the factory, as it’s meant to be the AZ production hub for SE Asia.

But they might have delayed the Philippine order so as to turn out the meagre  2 mil for locals. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Apologies, I didn’t explain myself well.

for me it’s a non story because it’s not unexpected and of no real life consequence. When things are back to “normal”, this will be common place.

I agree, local thai folk who believe in witchcraft may well spin a conspiracy theory that maybe vaccines are no good because you can still catch Covid.

And, as you say, if a tourist brings in Covid (which is not unlikely given that children don’t have to be vaccinated) or catches Covid  then there may be a backlash from locals who get scared.

the former example is the bigger issue I think because it may reinforce the nonvaxxers  among thai people. I don’t see the latter as such a big issue because I suspect the number of normal tourists that arrive in the next 6 months will be so small as to be negligible.

Thanks for the clarification.  Many Thai's believe they are vaccinated with just one jab of the Sinovac vaccine which is sad and what has been done in Phuket, not a large percentage have had both jabs.

• Like 1

Ohhhh No!

The first case of human infection from the H10N3 strain of bird flu has been detected in China, reports said. 

China's National Health Commission (NHC) on Tuesday confirmed the infection in a 41-year-old man within the country's eastern province of Jiangsu, according to Reuters. 

The man, from Zhenjiang, was hospitalized on April 28 after developing a fever and other symptoms. He was diagnosed as having the H10N3 avian influenza virus a month later – though it was unclear how he became infected.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Thanks for the clarification.  Many Thai's believe they are vaccinated with just one jab of the Sinovac vaccine which is sad and what has been done in Phuket, not a large percentage have had both jabs.

I’m not sure what the percentage is for Phuket these days. I saw that they were claiming 50% vaccinated, that is obviously just one jab. Strangely the two jab figure doesn’t seem to be quoted these days, at least I haven’t seen it. It would be interesting to know, less than 20% I’m guessing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Weekend numbers being reported while they gather the prison numbers and cluster numbers from the factories and such.  What is reported daily does not really match everything that gets put out in separate news, but then maybe it is just me not putting 2 and 2 together correctly.

The 7 day rolling average is now regarded as the best figure for monitoring status regarding new cases, new deaths etc.   This removes fluctuations due too the weekly cycle in reporting etc.  Its still good to see the cases figure moving in the right direction. 

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Frankly I don't trust any figures from SE Asia. The whole lot is run by a bunch of crooks.

Singapore is pretty good. Regularly appears near the top of least corrupt countries in the world. Other than that, you’re not a million miles from the truth.

1 minute ago, Privateer said:

The 7 day rolling average is now regarded as the best figure for monitoring status regarding new cases, new deaths etc.   This removes fluctuations due too the weekly cycle in reporting etc.  Its still good to see the cases figure moving in the right direction. 

It certainly does keep moving towards the right hand side of the graph, I’ll give you that. Directionally there may be an issue however.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

With such a high percentage of asymptomatic cases a temperature check is pretty meaningless.

I mean, if you have a fever you usually know it yourself without having any kind of temperature check. And if you are asymptomatic, then the temperature check tells you nothing.

but it’s good that the locals are checking up on farang visitors....I guess.

If you have a fever you usually know. I think the point is this virus has multiple symptoms or of course no symptoms. A very well constructed virus.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Herd immunity? With less than one per cent of the population of Thailand having had two vaccine shots?

any research to prove your vitamin  D diet theory has been “validated”? Other than your nonsensical leap from Thailand’s chilli consumption to its death rate?

Thais are fed an above average diet of high octane vitamin D (D is for deception).

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Privateer said:

They move in the right direction every second day if you look carefully.Every other day they move in the wrong direction at an increasing rate.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Thais are fed an above average diet of high octane vitamin D (D is for deception).

So they are pretty fed up. Or is ugly the more appropriate term in this case?

Edited by Richard Hall
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

Testers had a weekend off?????

Well I do hope that it's a drop from infections and not some kind of manipulation to indicate that tourism is somehow safe and it really isn't.  

Let's see what tomorrow will bring.