Jump to content

Getting married online – What do you think ?


Bill Poster

Recommended Posts

 

42 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:
On 6/1/2021 at 7:33 PM, orchis said:

Thailand, as per your link, is NOT on the list of countries that accept the so-called apostille certificate.

 

43 minutes ago, Bill Poster said:

Thanks , I missed that 👍

 

 

Yes, but from the same web site (same page in fact):

 

"Countries not listed will often still require an Apostille certificate but will then also require further legalisation or attestation via their embassy''.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

 

You cheap Charlie you !

Certainly not, it was they that couldn't meet the groom dowry price.

The daughter was financially dependant on her family, so I'd have been doing them a favour.

 

The history of these Asian dowry's is that the women is a virgin, unused.

No Asian man will pay a dowry for a woman previously in a relationship or divorced.

They simply try it on with foreigners, thinking we're stupid and more money than sense.

 

In Thailand, the 'unwilling' dowry comes in the form of land, house, pickup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They simply try it on with foreigners, thinking we're stupid and more money than sense.

 

My wife came from a poor Thai family, 4 girls, 3 divorced, one on the other side, no one asked me for a dowry, I just gave mum and dad a couple of hundred thousand at the wedding, much to their surprise, I kind of figured they could use it. 

 

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

In Thailand, the 'unwilling' dowry comes in the form of land, house, pickup.

 

I purchased land for the wife back in 2007, built her a house in 2015 and purchased her a pick up in 2016, again, at no time did she ask or expect. I have lived in that house now for the better part of 6 years, I drive her pick up (chauffer), and pay for everything associated with the house, and car plus, plus, plus, I suppose that is what the bread winner does in a marriage.

 

She's worth it, besides if we ever split up, no court, she gets the lot 10% of my worth invested so to speak, plus the kids, while I keep the other 90% which is overseas and she has no claim to that under a prenuptial agreement, I know, I know, I'm a cheap Charlie, but a very happy one at that 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2021 at 7:11 PM, BenDeCosta said:

My "official marriage ceremony" involved me sitting in a child's sized plastic chair at the local amphur office for about 20 minutes.

Why did they give you a child's chair, were you just crying uncontrollably ?😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, 4MyEgo said:

 

You cheap Charlie you !

Paying a dowry is good practice for a prospective husband, given he will be paying and paying till the divorce and then if unlucky will still be paying for such things as child support and alimony.

Not forgetting that the wife will likely be residing in the house the sucker man bought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, 4MyEgo said:

 

My wife came from a poor Thai family, 4 girls, 3 divorced, one on the other side, no one asked me for a dowry, I just gave mum and dad a couple of hundred thousand at the wedding, much to their surprise, I kind of figured they could use it. 

 

 

I purchased land for the wife back in 2007, built her a house in 2015 and purchased her a pick up in 2016, again, at no time did she ask or expect. I have lived in that house now for the better part of 6 years, I drive her pick up (chauffer), and pay for everything associated with the house, and car plus, plus, plus, I suppose that is what the bread winner does in a marriage.

 

She's worth it, besides if we ever split up, no court, she gets the lot 10% of my worth invested so to speak, plus the kids, while I keep the other 90% which is overseas and she has no claim to that under a prenuptial agreement, I know, I know, I'm a cheap Charlie, but a very happy one at that 🙂

 

You are unusual. Most of us don't have that much money.

 

BTW I wasn't a bread winner, having retired. I was bread giver.

She however was a bread winner, but her philosophy was that all my money was hers and all her money was hers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2021 at 7:48 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it necessary that Jim and Noi have met in person before?

Or is everything online?

no for me.

 

i have a rigorous in person testing procedure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Paying a dowry is good practice for a prospective husband, given he will be paying and paying till the divorce and then if unlucky will still be paying for such things as child support and alimony.

Not forgetting that the wife will likely be residing in the house the sucker man bought.

Like I have always said, only invest 10% of your worth, consider it charity if things go south, besides it's a lot less than if you divorced overseas, minimum 50% without kids, 65%-75% with one kid, 75%-85% with 2 kids, anymore than that, kiss it all goodbye. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are unusual. Most of us don't have that much money.

 

BTW I wasn't a bread winner, having retired. I was bread giver.

She however was a bread winner, but her philosophy was that all my money was hers and all her money was hers.

I worked hard, very hard, more than most, no hand outs, and it's worked out, although almost cost me my life 14 years ago when I had a heart attack, and that saying, my money is my money and your money is my money is the same in every Thai household, however reality here is, she knows it's mine until death do us part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2021 at 6:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

I don't think it is possible do it online here. It requires registering your marriage in person at a Amphoe for it to be a legal marriage.

Moved to the Marriage and Divorce forum.

The marriage would be in a US state, not Thailand, according to the link.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 1:53 PM, Aforek said:

OP, it's a scam : you need to be in person at the ampur 

To get married in the US through this website (or be issued a US state's marriage certificate), which is what the link offers, neither party need to be at any Thai amphoe because it wouldn't be a Thai marriage.

 

Of course, it could still be a scam but I suppose the US authorities are the one's to ask about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 5:13 PM, Jaxxper said:

Unless they have changed the process I thought a foreigner had to be in Thailand a certain number of days before the marriage can occur.

They are not talking about a non Amphur Thai wedding are they ? Just a thought.

The service is not for a Thai marriage, it would be a US marriage, with a marriage certificate issued by a US state.  That's what the link says.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 5:26 PM, EvetsKram said:

Yep,  maybe some countries but Thailand isn't one of them.  You must be here

You need to be in Thailand to get married in a US state which is what the link offers?   Don't think so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...