clean a clogged high-end Canon inkjet printer print head ?

orang37

I picked up a Pixma Pro 10 at a  bargain price (maybe), but, replacing the print head may cost around 6k baht.

Is there an inkjet wizard you've had a positive experience with who has got the chops to see if the the print head can be cleaned ?

i sent a query to Pouch Com Ltd. in Chiang Mai Land, who are dealers in higher end Canon printers.

thanks, ~o:37;

I have an old Canon ink jet printer that I have kept going for many years using hydrogen peroxide for cleaning the print heads. I pretty much have to clean my print head every time I am out of town for a couple of months. First, I soak the print head in about 2 mm of H2O2, just enough to cover the nozzles. Then I turn old ink cartridges upside down and using a dropper put about 10 drops of the H2O2 onto the sponges for each color, slowly allowing each drop to soak in. Then I insert the cartridges into the print head and run the cleaning and test print functions. If the print head is really clogged up it may take a few iterations. I bought a spare print head many years ago and I have yet to open the package.

• Thanks 1

I have Epsons and use the Blue windex glass cleaner and Q-tips.  While the process is a bit different than grins' we end up in the same place.  I think just follow his procedure and you should be be able to confirm that you got a bargain.

I have spent over a year away at a time and found that soaking it overnight was necessary to reliquify the ink.  Just saying

Good luck

• Thanks 1

Throw it away and buy a laser printer in clearance.

Probably cost a bit more, but it works when you need it, even if you use it only once a year

No issue with cleaning and replacing heads when you haven't used it for a few weeks.

Been there got the t-shirt many years ago

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Throw it away and buy a laser printer in clearance.

Probably cost a bit more, but it works when you need it, even if you use it only once a year

No issue with cleaning and replacing heads when you haven't used it for a few weeks.

Been there got the t-shirt many years ago

There were some very valid replies to the OP's question. I'm with you Susco with laser printers. I gave up on inkjets for my home/businesses many years ago as the quality not so good, soggy printed pages, poor colours, smudge if wet and blocked print heads/nozzles. I currently have 5 lasers (all Brother), four in the UK for my staff and my home office. One I keep at my Bangkok condo. Reliable as..... Even if not used for more than a year they always churn out crisp print and the cost of replacement (always genuine) toner cartridges is quite reasonable (Amazon and Lazada).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

...  I currently have 5 lasers (all Brother) ...

I have an inexpensive Brother laser printer/scanner/copier.  It's worked fine for a number of years.  ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damrongsak said:

I have an inexpensive Brother laser printer/scanner/copier.  It's worked fine for a number of years.  ????

Three of my lasers are the MFC-L2470DW & MFC-L2570DW which are great. They work well wirelessy via WiFi so don't have to be physically connected to a PC or Router. Scanning wirelessy was an issue for many years but never with these units. They seem to get a couple of firmware updates each year. Never get paper jams either which always seemed to happen with HP printers.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the well meaning advice from the laser lovers ! ????  This printer (10 colors) is an A3+ size capable beast that will be used for high-res (4800x2400 dpi) art and photo printing on special papers. It's not for typical b/w print jobs.

The print head has 7860 nozzles delivering 4 picoliter drops.

cheers, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37
memory recovered after alien abduction
  • Like 1