Warning re Account Balance During "Under Consideration" Period.

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So you have FD for 400k for what 3 month? Marriage extension require 400k for 2 month prior to application + consideration period. Excellent that your tying up 400k for a year when you don't need to.

Do you keep 800k in a dedicated account all year Jack?

Thank God the saints at the Canadian Embassy still give income letters and affadvits for almost everything. Including common laws relationships towards Canadian visas. My UK passport sits in the dark dark drawer.  

Edited by arick

19 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

This was no great drama but a bit of an inconvenience as it required a forty minute wait at the bank and a 140 km round trip to the immigration office. 

That is the yukky part, did my marriage extension end of January, went to do 90 days online the other day, didn't work, read there were issues, predominantly for the 1sr 90 days after the extension, drove to immigration and back (4 hours) as the wait was an hour, short staffed, he didn't look impressed as if to say why didn't you do it online, so when I saw his face, I said, online not working, oh, ok, took him 60 seconds and off I went. I wouldn't call it a bit of an inconvenience, what if some of us don't have cars with air conditioning, especially in this heat.

As for the 400k, thanks for the heads up, I always transfer double that amount 3 months before it's due and draw down on that for living expenses, I know these guys change things every single year, as if to frustrate us, why else would they still have this 90 days <deleted>.

They are living in the dark ages and should try it on for size and see how they like it, yes, yes, their country, their rules.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Not ALL extensions are approved in Bkk.

Mine as an example is approved at Chiang Mai.

To the best of my knowledge the requirement to maintain the balance is applicable to Retirement extensions NOT marriage as nothing was said nor inferred to me recently when doing mine.

However we know offices can and do vary.

Does Chiang Mai Imm require you o present your passbook or a one year bank statement along with your application for extension?  If so, why do they want it?  What are they looking for?

4 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Does Chiang Mai Imm require you o present your passbook or a one year bank statement along with your application for extension?  If so, why do they want it?  What are they looking for?

In my experience they want BOTH.

Actually, 3 items, bank book, statement and letter from the Bank.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience they want BOTH.

Actually, 3 items, bank book, statement and letter from the Bank.

Do you think they maybe looking to see if you maintain the required balance for the required time?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Do you think they maybe looking to see if you maintain the required balance for the required time?

That isnt neccesary, only the 2 months prior. (1 month under consideration possibly)I think it depends on how awkward they want to make it.

12 months statement, photocopy of every page of the passbook is total overkill in my opinion but they say jump, you just say ,how high and smile.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Do you keep 800k in a dedicated account all year Jack?

Sort of.

600k in FD and 300k in savings a/c both with Kasikorn. Only for extensions. 

Along savings a/c with separate bank for day to day use.

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sort of.

600k in FD and 300k in savings a/c both with Kasikorn. Only for extensions. 

Along savings a/c with separate bank for day to day use.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So you have FD for 400k for what 3 month? Marriage extension require 400k for 2 month prior to application + consideration period. Excellent that your tying up 400k for a year when you don't need to.

So I could ask you the same question.

Why keep 600K + 300K all year when for 7 months you only need 400K.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

So I could ask you the same question.

Why keep 600K + 300K all year when for 7 months you only need 400K.

My advice was more directed to folk that are tight on funds.

I've read so many threads re married guys struggle to come up with even 400k in bank for 2or3 months. If in that situation they no doubt use that 400k to live for following months.

It's all about how much money you have and income.

Some RT guys don't even care about interest rates etc they just stick 800k in FD and leave it. Bank book comes out of draw once a year.

Yes some married guys might do the same and keep 400k all year round.

Haven't seen any posts that do that. I'm sure there is but vast majority of married guys (imo) would just keep money in bank for least time possible.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My advice was more directed to folk that are tight on funds.

I've read so many threads re married guys struggle to come up with even 400k in bank for 2or3 months. If in that situation they no doubt use that 400k to live for following months.

Quite the opposite, in my experience, there are far more enquiries from retirees struggling to meet the financial requirements for retirement posted on TVF.

Some RT guys don't even care about interest rates etc they just stick 800k in FD and leave it. Bank book comes out of draw once a year.

If they aren't concerned about interest rates why put the funds in a FD account and not just leave it in a Savings account.

Yes some married guys might do the same and keep 400k all year round.

Haven't seen any posts that do that. I'm sure there is but vast majority of married guys (imo) would just keep money in bank for least time possible.

I think you've witnessed examples in this topic and in fact many married men leave at least, if not more than 400K in a FD account all year. I certainly do. It's not because I have to, it's because I want to. Indeed there are many married men who obtain retirement extension because they are issued the same day, so they have to meet the financial requirements for retirement.

Admittedly, there are some married men who cannot meet the financial requirement and they are able to stay by virtue of the Non Imm O ME Visa, they could obtain at HCM or Savannakhet with no financial proof. Similarly I know of once married men, now divorced, effectively a retiree once again, but still obtain the Non Imm O ME because they have copies of their old marriage certificate, ex wife's Tabien Baan and ID card.

How many retirees use agents to circumvent the financial requirements, I would suggest far more than married men.

Edited by Tanoshi

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Quite the opposite, in my experience, there are far more enquiries from retirees struggling to meet the financial requirements for retirement posted on TVF.

If they aren't concerned about interest rates why put the funds in a FD account and not just leave it in a Savings account.

I think you've witnessed examples in this topic and in fact many married men leave at least, if not more than 400K in a FD account all year. I certainly do. It's not because I have to, it's because I want to. Indeed there are many married men who obtain retirement extension because they are issued the same day, so they have to meet the financial requirements for retirement.

Your preaching to the converted. 

I don't know how many times in threads to guys doing extensions based on marriage complaining.

I have posted that if your 50+ and can afford it to change to extension based on retirement. No home visits etc. Personally I would never accept home visit.

Do you recall back to when covid started the daily posts from guys using ME visa (marriage) complaining re their situation.

When it was pointed out that they could easily change to non o marriage and place 400k in bank the daily responses were "I can't afford that".....

Edited by DrJack54

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your preaching to the converted. 

I don't know how many times in threads to guys doing extensions based on marriage complaining.

I have posted that if your 50+ and can afford it to change to extension based on retirement. No home visits etc. Personally I would never accept home visit.

Do you recall back to when covid started the daily posts from guys using ME visa (marriage) complaining re their situation.

When it was pointed out that they could easily change to non o marriage and place 400k in bank the daily responses were "I can't afford that".....

Of course Covid and allied hurdles/expenses stopped many from doing the border hop for the O-ME

I am unaffected personally by this but I am curious.

When an application is "under consideration" what exactly is being considered? There is a set of checks? And if so, which one of those checks might that be that ultimately denies the marriage extension being granted?

The application is checked for correct documents at the time of the "interview" at Immigration, is that right?

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Of course Covid and allied hurdles stopped many from doing the border hop for the O-ME

The point I was making is that they only needed to place 400k in bank and do no O (marriage) and obtain 12 month extension. That money only needed to be in bank for 2 months plus under consideration period. They could then use it. Small hurdle I would have thought.

Many complained that they couldn't afford it.

9 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I am unaffected personally by this but I am curious.

When an application is "under consideration" what exactly is being considered? There is a set of checks? And if so, which one of those checks might that be that ultimately denies the marriage extension being granted?

The application is checked for correct documents at the time of the "interview" at Immigration, is that right?

I dont "know" but I am speculating a closer examination that the details submitted support a "real" relationship and not a sham marriage.

When the application is submitted at local level they are not "read" as such just marked as present.

6 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Extensions based upon marriage to a Thai have to be approved at the Immigration Division that the office where you did the application is under. The under consideration period allows time for the approval to be sent to the responsible division and then approved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Marriage extensions have to be approved and signed of by a higher ranking officer than those based at local Immigration offices, hence they are sent to regional offices.

Whilst the local offices check the submitted documents before accepting the application for submission to regional level, it's my understanding that the regional office check that the IO at local level correctly approved it for further consideration of approval.

Typically two sets of identical documents have to be submitted, one for the local office, the other set sent to regional office. It's very rare an application accepted at local level, will be refused at regional level.

I have known regional request additional documents, but that was further copies of a documents already submitted and merely because the copies submitted were so poor, they couldn't be clearly read.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, arick said:

Thank God the saints at the Canadian Embassy still give income letters and affadvits for almost everything. Including common laws relationships towards Canadian visas. My UK passport sits in the dark dark drawer.  

Is it the same for the US?

20 hours ago, MJCM said:

Question please.

Does it have an ATM card this Mee Tae Dai account?

Or can you transfer money out of it via Internet Banking?

Yes it has an ATM card, Yes you can transfer money via internet banking. only con is more than 2 free withdrawals a month, 50b fee.

• Like 1

As I've recorded previously. I did my marriage annual extension application at end of March. 

Documents submitted at the "reception counter, then waited outside under the tent for passport to be returned with Under Consideration stamp.

Never went into the main office face to face with IO.

Returned 1 month later on the nominated date, handed in my passport, waited outside again under the tent.

20mins later my name called and passport returned with 1yr extension. 

Absolutely NO mention of the 400k or updated bankbook. 

I think @Ubonjoe will confirm that there is nothing in the orders requiring the 400k to still be there during Under Consideration period.

This was at Pathum Thani IO.

23 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Savings account 0.25 - FD account 1.2%.

If anything unexpected came along you still have the option to use that money.

400K is the minimum, you can keep more in if you want.

Interested where you get 1.2% interest and length of deposit at this time.. thank u.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They no longer do income affidavits to prove your income.

The will witness affidavits done for various reasons.

thanks-I am no longer married, but have a legal Thai son, 11. Can I get a retirement visa that way?

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They no longer do income affidavits to prove your income.

The will witness affidavits done for various reasons.

I was shocked Australia.  NEW Zealand, US and UK they don't do anything for you. 

• Like 1