Thailand sticking with plan to welcome vaccinated tourists in July

webfact

42 minutes ago, Karma80 said:

All this does is steal the ASQ business from Bangkok hotels and diverts it to Phuket under the guise of SHA+ hotels where you can quarantine in a hotel, but be free to roam the island. The Phuket hotels were going bankrupt the next couple of months and this is just a band aid to get them through. Fair enough, but right now there is no short haul tourism, it's all long haul and I think you may need your head examined to come here for a two week vacation right now. 

Free to roam the Island, but return to your scheduled SHA Barracks every night or, risk arrest because you decided to hang with a friend and enjoy dinner and a beer? What are the true parameters.  Looks like you can now transit through BKK instead of flying directly to Phuket, as how else would the US folks arrive as there is no direct flight to Phuket anymore from the US.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RoyJames said:

Its not too bad.,no quarantine and you can go where you want after 14 days,I can think of worse places to spend 14 days than Patong lol,I wonder what the cost of the hotels will be,this could be the catch,otherwise I would consider going if I could get time off work.

Bars are closed in Patong. It’s like a set from a zombie movie there atm. I suppose it might spring to life if the rules change by July, although it seems that’s unlikely given the comments in the op article.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like you can now transit through BKK instead of flying directly to Phuket, as how else would the US folks arrive as there is no direct flight to Phuket anymore from the US.

Although I agree, that it is great that we can transit through BKK, there are now flights directly to Phuket.  Star Alliance is flying from Germany; so it is US to Germany then Phuket.  There are others ... 

"Doha, Dubai, Singapore, Taipei, Istanbul, and Hong Kong. Thai Airways International says it will offer scheduled flights from Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Paris and London."

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Last time I looked they were arresting foreigners for having a couple of friends over in the afternoon and it made international news.

This is not a good look.

Will people be able to go to a restaurant and have a glass of wine or a beer with their meal and then go to a bar for the rest of the evening?

If things don't return to normal then nobody will come, nobody at all, especially if they're expected to quarantine on return.

It will fail.

Never mind having a glass of wine or beer, will there be a restaurant or bar there that's open?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dsj said:

However, if you can prove that you are an expat living on the island for more than 14 days then you can do so. (go to another island outside the province) 

But can we drive across the bridge and have lunch at Natai Beach?  Or do the Phuket expats have to 14 day quarantine when we return from lunch?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chaihot said:

Although I agree, that it is great that we can transit through BKK, there are now flights directly to Phuket.  Star Alliance is flying from Germany; so it is US to Germany then Phuket.  There are others ... 

"Doha, Dubai, Singapore, Taipei, Istanbul, and Hong Kong. Thai Airways International says it will offer scheduled flights from Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Paris and London."

Thats not a direct flight from the US as I was talking about, that is a transit flight with multiple flights, and why would someone in LA want to fly backwards and add transit hubs in New York/Chicago to Europe and then to Phuket. That would be a 36 plus hour flight instead of the usual 19 hour flight you can get to BKK from LAX/SFO.  At one time there used to be a 13 hour non-stop direct flight to BKK with a in-transit switch to Phuket via Thai Airways, however that was canceled some years ago as it became unfeasible.  Now to do it you must change planes at least 3 times to get to Phuket.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Earlier in the week I read it was only 7 days in Phuket. All other requirements plus a covid test at day 5 and if negative you could travel after 7 days, now 14.

A proposal that didn't get past the next surge in infections.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

notice also the double standard on vaccinations. To be “vaccinated” tourists must have two jabs, for locals, one jab makes you “vaccinated”.

I have neighbors that have the 1 "jab" and they think they are safe.  Probably won't go back for the 2nd one.  Sad really.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Hotels are being realistic, realising thet there aren't going to be too many people taking advantage of this scheme.

But if your flying in on an international flight fully vaccinated you can only stay at the SHA hotels, not any others, nor can you go to your home......so it really does not matter what the other hotels are hoping for they will not get any of these folks until after the 14th day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Excellent plan—-but they forgot one item.

get that damned Baht down.  With all the troubles here, you’d think the currency would reflect the downbeat economy.

Also, they could use that budget surplus they’ve been bragging about to shore up their own economy instead of relying so heavily on infusions of foreign ducats.

However, I realize that would require leaders who actually give a <deleted> about their country and its people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

My brother just got a ticket back to the US from BKK because he THOUGHT he could get back into Thailand via a 7 day stay in Phuket but now he's screwed. They could cancel the whole program next week due to some variant for all we know.

It is happening in many places. The desperate UK tourists all flew off to Portugal recently, as it was declared 'green' and now it is being declared Amber as of Tuesday, making quarantine requirements for those returning. UK is getting ahead of itself in the desperation  to open things up... problems are the rest of Europe has yet to catch up, and even internally UK is  subject to new strains and vaccine shy people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveB2 said:

Currently, Thailand sees about 30 people die per day with COVID-19.

That is all very well but I still see 30 deaths per day of Covid as a deterrent for tourists coming from countries with fewer. They are not thinking about how many committed suicide or were morbidly obese. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

So why is it only certified hotels ? Sounds like jobs for the boys and you scratch my back deals . Surely if their amazing sandpit idea is so good then all businesses should be able to open and if the people arriving have been vaccinated and are free to roam Phuket then why do they have to stay in certain hotels !! 

I agree with your view on this.  However, it is being done not only to infuse money to certain folks but also as they claim for safety.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But if your flying in on an international flight fully vaccinated you can only stay at the SHA hotels, not any others, nor can you go to your home......so it really does not matter what the other hotels are hoping for they will not get any of these folks until after the 14th day.

To be fair it doesn't say you can't go home but you will be forced onto paying for the SHA hotel.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, dsj said:

I know a lot of you may know about the local taxi mafia and even the two tier pricing that spoils some holidays. I specifically asked the Governor of TAT about this. He said they will be taking this opportunity to clean up the situation to make sure that tourists are safe and that their holiday isn’t spoiled by scammers. He is also very much in agreement with me that the two price policy is bad for tourism. We have talked before on this. He said that when he saw the mayor this week and he was telling him they were building a toilet block on the beach, the governor told him he mustn’t charge the tourists more. It must be the same price for everyone.

As if this is a new problem and been too busy to tackle this countrywide problem...BS..

Feels like the typical thai cash grab--they started way back thinking Chinese investors or hiso would flock there..nope

So you fly across the world and step foot on a Island for 2 weeks...no way off....suddenly the brochure doesnt look like the same room as usual,

the menus as always now have tape on them with the new prices of 200 baht fried rice----so the Gov will pay me back any costs that are "above local prices"?

Thais I assume are cash strapped and hungry for those walking ATMs I can just imagine the taxi guys as soon as you walk out of the airport gate..HEYHEYYOUHEYYOU!

I would feel like a fish in a barrel as the vultures start to circle-----but ive lived there long enough to know Id prob be eating out of 7-11 if I was foolish enough to stay 14 days....I considered the 7 but not thats off the table-----just so I could suck it up and get back up north--the islands are nothing but jaded greedy thais anyway

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, starky said:

To be fair it doesn't say you can't go home but you will be forced onto paying for the SHA hotel.

Guess you just loan it to your Mia Noi or Short Time girl...lol.  Waiting on the full parameters to be released.  I have friends in the US who want to get back and train for a month doing Muay Thai, they are not sure if they can or not, as they normally stay on site in a package deal.

• Like 2

A post containing false and misleading information as well as quoting content from Bangkok Post has been removed.

A post using an animated childish trolling meme which has been removed on numerous occasions in the past has been removed again.  

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from some other site without a supporting link has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.