TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

9 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

but when you dig a little bit, there is almost ALWAYS a Thai girl\women

behind every westerner decision to come\stay in Thailand and your

comment confirms it

The fact that she is the wife, the girlfriend or a one hour rent doesn't really matter, the pu...y power is still the main attraction of the country

Where is it that if you dig a little bit,  there is no woman behind everything we do?

I remember the exact moment my life changed for ever. I was In my first year in Highschool, I was running track, played varsity Baseball and was happy as a pig in Sh*t. Then I got laid, and said to my self "Wow that was good, much better than Mr hand. I need to get some more of that"  in comes the car, the clothes , the dating, and all the BS.

Out go track, baseball , etc  LOL

Everywhere I was after that , until now, if you dig a little bit , is always a girl.

In fact the question is "what came first the chicken or the egg? "and the answer is obvious to anyone who knows anything about these things. 

THE EGG!! the chicken is simply the egg's idea of how to make another egg. 

I am here in Thailand because of my wife. If it wasn't for her Thailand would be just another vacation place that I would visit once or twice.  

I believe the Proposal is good, except for the 10 year visa thing, (as it was pointed out by someone else). If they want me to make a long time commitment to them , they also need to make a long time commitment to me. What happens to my investment after 10 years? Does it turn into a pumpkin? 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

What is the point of being able to work only 20 hours a week without work permit and who is going to count the hours worked?  Immigration and the Labour Ministry wil definitely object to this.  But the obvious first casualty will the right to buy land. Actually there is nothing stopping the government from amending the Land Code to allow this, since it has no parliamentary opposition. But they just won't do it and, if they did, there would be a huge backlash.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:39 PM, rhomber said:

I came to Thailand on the STV with the hopes to get the Smart Visa when they made the changes to that to enable foreign employment. But now I am here and they scrapped the Smart Visa changes and they have also scrapped the STV, so I am not even sure I will be able to stay the full 9 months. I earn almost $200k, presumably I am exactly the kind of person they want to attract and keep. However, reading the above, it says things like "They must have qualifications of at least a bachelor's degree" - I have no university experience, however I do have over 20 years of actual experience and the title of "VP of Engineering" to match. They also say "They would be nomads in stock trading at companies making at least 50 million dollars per year" - What the heck? You only want people who work in trading companies? I work in an IT company, and how does it even matter how much the company I work for makes if I earn enough?

Meanwhile, I can easily move to Ecuador and actually buy land and live there permanently and feel like it's my home as long as I make $800/mo (Rentista visa). I want to feel like this my home Thailand, I do not feel welcome here and I am worried I will need to leave soon as the STV isn't eligible for COVID extensions. I am 38 so I am not eligible for the retirement visa for another 12 years. I am not going to set 600k baht on fire getting an elite visa either, I think the fact I live here and spend 30000k baht a month on rent, hire a cleaner for 3600 baht a month and pay for groceries and e.t.c. should be enough.

What you are not told is that Thailand hasn't wanted foreigners and their ideas here for many years.    They tend to upset the apple cart and the golden goose.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 7:48 PM, Surelynot said:

What would possess a wealthy, group 1 type, to even bother considering any of this????

If I were a dollar millionaire I wouldn't even be here.

Are we sure the article doesn;t mean they are considering the Baht Millionaires,and not the $$ Millionaires??  They would surly get their quota that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 3:38 PM, KhunBENQ said:

A milllion millionaires/high skilled professionals/wealthy pensioners/workers at billion dollar companies.

What are they dreaming of at night?

Is Thailand destined to become Chiland. Yes !!! Once they begin to sell property wholesale the inhabitants may as well be renamed Chi-landese.

2 minutes ago, Bangkocker said:

Is Thailand destined to become Chiland. Yes !!! Once they begin to sell property wholesale the inhabitants may as well be renamed Chi-landese.

The Chinese still call Laos, Thailand Cambodia, and Vietnam  "Indo-China". they will realize their five hundred old dream to unite the whole asian peninsula if Govt's let them have their way.

20 hours ago, nausea said:

Don't really see it, neither with the Smart Visa or under these new proposals. As I understand it, most DNs reside here because of geographical arbitrage - the majority have limited funds, many are first-timers and it's their first attempt at establishing an on-line business, and few are directly employed by companies, or have formal qualifications. As with most ex-pats they're here because it's cheap and cheerful.. Thailand really needs to get out of this fixation on the high-end market, and focus on where they have competitive advantage which, IMO, is relative cheapness and a reasonably developed infrastructure, which is attractive to those with a small income or a bit of cash to spare; those with real/big money have too many other options.

I agree with you on the focus on the high end (aka 'quality') market and qualification criteria. This focus can do nothing but limit the number of DNs chosing Thailand as a base to operate from. It's my understanding that there are factions within the government that are in disagreement about easing the stringent restrictions on working here, so I assume the anouncment and Smart Visa F proposal as a step in the right direction - there is certainly more that can be done to make Thailand more attractive to DNs, but progress is clearly being made.

I'm not sure I can agree with your assumptions about the majority of DNs having limited funds etc - this may be true of the more visible ones we might see in co-working spaces and coffee shops, but there are many others tucked away in high end villas / apartments very quietly getting on with their business online who, quite sensibly under the current restrictions, do not let it be known what they do all day.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

The Chinese still call Laos, Thailand Cambodia, and Vietnam  "Indo-China". they will realize their five hundred old dream to unite the whole asian peninsula if Govt's let them have their way.

Lets hope not. I think even the poorest Asian countries are realising China is on the rampage. As if China doesn't have a very large land mass to pollute already.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:13 AM, webfact said:

2 Those people working in Thailand for foreign companies

No age limit, but must be able to prove reliable income. 

They must be earning $80,000 for the last two years or $40,000 a year. They will be digital nomads or people close to retirement age. 

They must have qualifications of at least a bachelor's degree and five years experience as well as $100,000 in health insurance.

They would be nomads in stock trading at companies making at least 50 million dollars per year over three years or they would be working for corporations that make at least one billion dollars a year.

They will get a ten year visa, be able to work with no permit, pay just 17% tax on local earnings and be able to buy property and land. 

3 Retirees aged 50+

These people will have to invest $250,000 in government bonds or real estate. 

Have to show $80,000 in pension income over the last two years or $40,000 per year and have $100,000 in health insurance.

Providing they can show all the required evidence of their long standing pensions they will get ten year visas, can work 20 hours a week with no work permit, pay 17% tax only on local earnings and buy property and land.

Both of those have appeals and are not that hard to meet. I am not yet old enough for the Retiree one but its only a couple more years to go.. Of the 2 it appears perhaps the simpler option as I lack the degree. 

Of course the devils in the details, but I would be very interested in reading and seeing the real world application of those details and what 'property and land' I was allowed to own. 

On 6/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, NanLaew said:

Duhhh... he's a billionaire already. That's places him firmly top of 'target group #1'

I understand that, but my point was that the "digital nomad" category is not very sound. Computers, IT and all that tech have plenty of "digital nomads" that don't have a BA. Like Gates, they decided to get on with it rather than put in the time to get degree.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:39 PM, rhomber said:

I came to Thailand on the STV with the hopes to get the Smart Visa when they made the changes to that to enable foreign employment. But now I am here and they scrapped the Smart Visa changes and they have also scrapped the STV, so I am not even sure I will be able to stay the full 9 months. I earn almost $200k, presumably I am exactly the kind of person they want to attract and keep. However, reading the above, it says things like "They must have qualifications of at least a bachelor's degree" - I have no university experience, however I do have over 20 years of actual experience and the title of "VP of Engineering" to match. They also say "They would be nomads in stock trading at companies making at least 50 million dollars per year" - What the heck? You only want people who work in trading companies? I work in an IT company, and how does it even matter how much the company I work for makes if I earn enough?

Meanwhile, I can easily move to Ecuador and actually buy land and live there permanently and feel like it's my home as long as I make $800/mo (Rentista visa). I want to feel like this my home Thailand, I do not feel welcome here and I am worried I will need to leave soon as the STV isn't eligible for COVID extensions. I am 38 so I am not eligible for the retirement visa for another 12 years. I am not going to set 600k baht on fire getting an elite visa either, I think the fact I live here and spend 30000k baht a month on rent, hire a cleaner for 3600 baht a month and pay for groceries and e.t.c. should be enough.

A batchelors degree in thailand means have you ever been a waiter , or toilet cleaner

On 6/4/2021 at 10:39 PM, rhomber said:

Ecuador is no Thailand. And the people and the lifestyle there is no match for Thailand. Lots of random killing in Ecuador and the services are <deleted> compared to Thailand. Latin America is not as friendly nor as safe as Thailand.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, Presnock said:

I spend a lot more than that each and every year.  but then again, as we have noticed over the period of the pandemic and fleeing of tourists plus lockdowns,

Yes, I spend more than a million some years. Since 2008, I've done this. What is strange is the "sudden" idea that long-term expats don't contribute this much. as a rule, rather than an exception. And to categorize the "new" vs the "old" isn't helpful. Unless the Thai govt, makes actual changes to tempt foreign retirees, nothing will tempt them. This is well-understood by every University student, I've spoken with (and I speak to them regularly) As you say, a good faith measure of eliminating the 90 day report would go a long way to attracting foreigners....after all, it isn't as if the IO can't locate us.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 1:35 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Yup, we had an Op where many discussed such expenditures yearly not long ago and it turned into a sensitive subject where many called BS on others unless we posted proof.....

Hahah, I didn't see that. But every Non-O  I know spends that or more. I suppose there could be exceptions, that haven't been deported yet.......but even maintaining 800K each year is a form of spending, as any economist will tell you.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 3:36 PM, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Same here. In my case I think Zimbabwe would suit me. Beautiful place, nice climate, English speakers, no problem with overseas fund income.

I take it you must be black!  Zimbabwe used to be Rhodesia and change in 1980 with Mugabe becoming president.  White land owners immediately had their properties taken over by the govt and split among blacks.  White bank accounts were frozen and one could not transfer the money outside the country.  It used to be the bread basket for the south sudan area - I had many friends there who had bought lands and retired there - biggest mistake of their lives.  I was in Lusaka for a while and heard many local stories.

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

Unsurprisingly, I doubt they have thought this through.

A 30 year USD80,000 per annum pension would need a pot of well over USD 1 million. There was a similar thing touted a few weeks ago about trying to attract large numbers of global millionaires, pipe dreams I think.

Personally, I would be very careful about on-shoring any significant portion of my estate into a relatively lawless country like Thailand during my golden years when one might be more ‘vulnerable’. As we have seen, only takes a bent lawyer and some fake signatures and your assets are gone. 

Absolutely......if you come from a stable regime USA/UK/EU etc.......why the hell would you risk transferring money here or buying anything here???

I rent, will never buy, and only shift money over as it is required in minimal amounts....

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Absolutely......if you come from a stable regime USA/UK/EU etc.......why the hell would you risk transferring money here or buying anything here???

I rent, will never buy, and only shift money over as it is required in minimal amounts....

Wise man. I'll extend that to never marry anyone in Thailand. Pack of money grubbers. Thailand is a place to have fun. NOT commit to anything. Now let's see if all the gents jump on me for being forthright.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bangkocker said:

Wise man. I'll extend that to never marry anyone in Thailand. Pack of money grubbers. Thailand is a place to have fun. NOT commit to anything. Now let's see if all the gents jump on me for being forthright.

Well I would not put it in total absolutes, but certainly a theme to substantially bear in mind when considering  perhaps, if mostly using the brain for the consideration process (often a problem).

Seems to work OK,  when they are at least your economic equal, but I've only tested the theory for 15 years so far....but confidence remains high....????

11 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Well I would not put it in total absolutes, but certainly a theme to substantially bear in mind when considering  perhaps, if mostly using the brain for the consideration process (often a problem).

Seems to work OK,  when they are at least your economic equal, but I've only tested the theory for 15 years so far....but confidence remains high....????

Lucky man at the moment. But most that are batting their eyelids at a falang are unlikely to be 'an economic equal'. Thai women are much more likely to select  a Thai man as a partner. And if they are chasing a falang they may something else in mind - even if they are an economic equal. Hope the partnership lasts 16 years :<) and you don't run out of cash.

• Like 1