TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

5 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Basically.  Always funny to hear people's responses about why they came to Thailand, trying to avoid answering "for the girls" as if it is the more politically correct answer that will somehow make them more respectable in the eyes of those asking.  Thailand is pooying, without it, plenty of better countries around with less hassle.

Projecting?  You can't paint everyone with the same brush.  A lot of guys only go to Thailand for that.  A lot don't.  Some are initially drawn to Thailand because of that but keep coming back for other reasons.  Some find the culture a better fit compared to the west.  Like the fact it's still very much a mans world as opposed to what is going on in the west now.  A lot end up settling down in Thailand with regular Thai girls.  

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

A post-Covid Vietnam would be wise to offer renewable retirement visas...

Vietnam never had "retirement visas" so doubt you will see such thing. Vietnam aims to bring more industry in at the expense of China,  doesn't really care for this insignifiant cash from retirees.  I know I wouldn't bother , it's too much hassle for peanuts money.

Anyway not sure about you but I would never see Vietnam as a good place to retire. Dirty , noisy , Viets are not very kind (personal opinion , talking about people in towns not in villages - too direct for my liking and severely lacking respect) , mediocre health services,  crazy traffic (if you think  Thais are crazy in traffic , you should really check Vietnam) , a very annoying horn communication by drivers ...man that was enough alone to annoy the hell out of me.

Stayed for 3 weeks 2 years ago but couldn't get out faster. Nah , not for me. 

Edited by anon7854
  • Like 1

One million, why set expectations so low? Lol. 

Let's see... I'll sell off some bitcoin, some of the family land back home and oh... wait, haven't had the $80,000 + job for two years... now what? 

Right... I'm going to invest that much in Thailand just so I can get a 10 year permission slip? Is that land still mine at the expiration of the 10 years? And what work am I going to do that makes greater than $80,000 a year, just so I can get that free work permit... 

I am convinced this article is here just to see the poor bas^@&$, who will never qualify, in this forum react... ????

Edited by Freeduhdum
additional

16 hours ago, johng said:

The thing I don't see happening is "the right to buy land"     it was touted for the elite visa but soon dropped  PDQ same thing here I would say.

What happens when your 10 years is up, land must be sold back to Thai ownership? 

Or the Thai wife has secured it already. 

And these rich big spenders must have 100k insurance as they might do a runner and not pay for the hospital bills. They did not mention covid insurance. 

Well I guess they will fill up and sell those. many thousands of empty condos in Cha Amm after all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

One million, why set expectations so low? Lol. 

Let's see... I'll sell off some bitcoin, some of the family land back home and oh... wait, haven't had the $80,000 + job for two years... now what? 

Right... I'm going to invest that much in Thailand just so I can get a 10 year permission slip? Is that land still mine at the expiration of the 10 years? And what work am I going to do that makes greater than $80,000 a year, just so I can get that free work permit... 

I am convinced this article is here just to see the poor bas^@&$, who will never qualify, in this forum react... ????

Can I suggest that you start a phone shop. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

In Greece for instance, an investment of $250,000 in real estate (After tax ad registration fees probably about $280K)will get you permanent residency

If this proposal gave PR, then it would not be so ludicrous... what happens after 10 years? I would be willing to invest in the Greece PR... would need to read the fine print of the 10 year limitation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Freeduhdum said:

If this proposal gave PR, then it would not be so ludicrous... what happens after 10 years? I would be willing to invest in the Greece PR... would need to read the fine print of the 10 year limitation. 

That's a very good point. 

• Like 1

I was looking good until this requirement "They must have qualifications of at least a bachelor's degree and five years experience"    

I've got the five years experience but didn't bother with University so I don't have a degree.  

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A milllion millionaires/high skilled professionals/wealthy pensioners/workers at billion dollar companies.

What are they dreaming of at night?

And the moon is made of cheese that's why they have joined the space race to capitalise on it.ooo how cheesy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Every well heeled foreigner dreams of coming to a junta led SE Asian country where in times of a pandemic they are placed alongside the homeless in terms of importance.

They can also be insulted by Anutin as part of the bargain. They can be called dirty and unwashed by a corrupt politician.

Then they can report every 90 days like a criminal on parole.

What a dream for the wealthy.

I've heard there there are loads of cheap properties in Monaco as the super rich sell up and flee in their droves to unvaccinated Thailand to be treated like shheeit.

If you think the wealthy expats do 90 day reports and have even the slightest concern about getting a vaccine you are very poorly informed (I guess you don't know any wealthy expats).  

Like the wealthy Thais, they went to other countries to get their vaccines, then came back and spent 2 weeks doing quarantine at the Anantara.

If doing a 90 day report is so arduous, why not do it online?  or just don't do them at all.  The fine if you fail to do them is a pittance.   
Or if the fine worries you and you can't manage doing it online, then just pay for an agent to do it for you.

4 hours ago, anon7854 said:

Vietnam never had "retirement visas" so doubt you will see such thing. Vietnam aims to bring more industry in at the expense of China,  doesn't really care for this insignifiant cash from retirees.  I know I wouldn't bother , it's too much hassle for peanuts money.

Anyway not sure about you but I would never see Vietnam as a good place to retire. Dirty , noisy , Viets are not very kind (personal opinion , talking about people in towns not in villages - too direct for my liking and severely lacking respect) , mediocre health services,  crazy traffic (if you think  Thais are crazy in traffic , you should really check Vietnam) , a very annoying horn communication by drivers ...man that was enough alone to annoy the hell out of me.

Stayed for 3 weeks 2 years ago but couldn't get out faster. Nah , not for me. 

Thanks for the info'.

from some reason the TAT think that high quality farang will run in million to live in thailand just because they can get work permit. a work permit which they can get anyway in many other much better countries. so why would they budder to come to a country like thailand, where they can be kidnapped by the police for business disputes or get locked in jail for 100 years

because they transfered into thailand millions of dollars earned legally in dutch coffee canabis shops,..

• Like 1

I along with alot of "digital nomads" (hate that term) work for ourselves earn more than 40k a year but don't have degrees (very few software devs bother)

Which trading company or billion dollar corp is letting their employees work in other countries unless they have offices there anyways and therefore can get a WP.

Im pretty sure British companies can't do this with employees you'd have to be a contractor to not work in the Uk full time

and therefore not satisfy the Thai requirements probably.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Banana7 said:

What will the Thai government do when some billionaires (in USD or EURO terms) buy up lots of land, and the Thais have to rent land in Thailand from foreigners or become subservient to foreigners?

Or more realistically in renminbi

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The proposals would allow certain well-heeled retirees to actually be able to work legally in Thailand and purchase land. 

So humble teachers like me had to jump through many hoops to be able to buy land, yet those who have not contributed to or integrated into society, with loads a money can buy land? 

BS and should never happen, and won't. 

The law stopping foreigners was for a good reason and now the elites of the country are not going to give this one up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah, the weekly "TAT proposals" are in again. 

A million people will spend ONE TRILLION baht - or one million each/yearly. In addition some 800 billion baht in investment by 10,000 investors and 80,000 retirees. Another 500 billion baht in tax from 400,000 people with high skills. 

I repeat my unanswered question; what kind of excellent weed is smoked at their offices? I mean, are these people for real or is it yet just another huge smoke screen with a minuscule fire? 

Get your tourism product back there where it was 30 years ago and you would do just fine. But that would mean moving out 95% of hospitality staff and executives. Greed, dual pricing, cheating and dual-legal interpretations combined with an absolute maze of immigration contradictions, communication inabilities and rip offs have no place in such a strategy. 

So keep on dreaming; tourists meanwhile have found better, cheaper, nice, more welcome alternatives to the promised land run by the chosen people! 

• Like 2

Announcments regarding the up and coming Smart Visa F (Freelancer) have been coming out since at least October last year. I believe the above announcement is regarding this, it looks like it's going to happen.

More and more people work remotely these days, even more so since the pandemic. Thailand opening it's doors to this growing pool of professionals and removing much of the off-putting bureacracy I see as great progress.

This is good news for Thailand and good news for those who want to work here but are not prepared to deal with all the usual requirements; four Thai employees, border bounces, work permits that can go out of sync with visas, etc, etc (non-im B Visa) or lengthy, difficult processes like getting BOI approval (Smart Visa S, E etc).

This makes Thailand far more likely to attract DMs who, at the end of the day, have the choice of working pretty much wherever they want.

Smart move Thailand!

5 hours ago, anon7854 said:

Vietnam never had "retirement visas"

Indeed, and the word is they're kicking out the retirees they do have, previously staying on laxly enforced tourist and business visas/extensions.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The aim is to attract one million people in the four groups. This will increase spending in Thailand, increase expertise and bring other economic benefits.

The problem being is trying to convince a million high end earners or millionaires to part with their hard earned cash.

They're millionaires and tend to be smart... they can see right through Thailand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

To qualify for a 10 year visa they will need to invest US$ 500,000 in Thai government bonds or real estate.

Who else thinks Thailand is almost bankrupt and is looking to get bailed out?

Baby laughing.gif