TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

Bill Gates will have to scratch Thailand  from his list of places to live if he considered himself a "digital nomad". He doesn't have a bachelors degree.

Bill Gates does not have a college degree. He enrolled at Harvard College in 1973 to study pre-law but also studied mathematics and took a graduate-level computer science course. Gates left Harvard after two years, opting instead to start his own computer software company.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 1:19 PM, GlassWayOverHalfFull said:

Why not. I could live anywhere in the world and year round I'd choose here. If you don't like it just clear off. The only issue I have with Thailand is the whinging foreigners. 

With me it's poor spelling and the sites that dumb down to accommodate those responsible. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

The Chinese middle class have the money now. They have plenty of it. They will gladly come into Thailand and pay. This is nothing new. The shift in economy parity has gone to China and Asia. Maybe those posting here are not aware of this or have forgotten.

The average annual income of China on a whole is ¥32,189 ($5,033) and the median is ¥27,540 ($4,306).  Take out the rural areas and that figure goes up about 40%.  

http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/PressRelease/202101/t20210119_1812523.html

If the Chinese were really going to make a difference, there wouldn’t be so many unsold condos here (even pre-Covid this was an issue). The rich Chinese most likely already own homes under the ฿40,000,000 plan.

So, sure, there might be a few that are enticed by the ability to buy a house on a postage sized lot in a non descript moo-ban or even a few that would buy a luxury golf course villa, but I doubt that there will be enough to soak up the excess inventory (which I assume is really what Thailand is hoping for, due to the overbuilding during the last decade).

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Surelynot said:
38 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So apart from not being filthy rich, what's your excuse reason for being here?

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

For my part, I am married and domiciled in Thailand with family but my work is all overseas so the 'hoop jumping' although a chore, is a necessity.

I wonder if most of the Thai bashers those members that are super-critical of everything that the locals are trying to do would actually be availing themselves of overseas travel of any sort even if there were was no Covid and all the related hokey pokey. You know, the burnt bridges and broke 90-day report whiners clique happily retired with options club?

24 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Bill Gates will have to scratch Thailand  from his list of places to live if he considered himself a "digital nomad". He doesn't have a bachelors degree.

Bill Gates does not have a college degree. He enrolled at Harvard College in 1973 to study pre-law but also studied mathematics and took a graduate-level computer science course. Gates left Harvard after two years, opting instead to start his own computer software company.

Duhhh... he's a billionaire already. That's places him firmly top of 'target group #1'

38 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, seriously.

For my part, I am married and domiciled in Thailand with family but my work is all overseas so the 'hoop jumping' although a chore, is a necessity.

I wonder if most of the Thai bashers those members that are super-critical of everything that the locals are trying to do would actually be availing themselves of overseas travel of any sort even if there were was no Covid and all the related hokey pokey. You know, the burnt bridges and broke 90-day report whiners clique happily retired with options club?

Why am I here?..........

PULLS: Prime reason, Thai wife, after 15 years in Germany she wanted to return for food and family (in that order).  Nightlife, we live in the centre of Bangkok. Rental costs, a fraction of UK costs. 

PUSHES: Not a fan of life in the UK.

12 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

I might well not be here if I hadn't married a rather nice Thai lady.

Ecuador or Portugal seem better alternatives in many ways.

Same here. In my case I think Zimbabwe would suit me. Beautiful place, nice climate, English speakers, no problem with overseas fund income.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:38 PM, KhunBENQ said:

A milllion millionaires/high skilled professionals/wealthy pensioners/workers at billion dollar companies.

What are they dreaming of at night?

More like constant wet-dreams.... 

25 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Because for many years I've received >5% pa net after tax on Thai share dividends. Also own 2 condos.

I would like to bring more money into Thailand, but my managed fund in Australia has made 28.81% so far this financial year.  I don't want to touch it while it's riding record market gains and the covid recovery boom. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I see the TAT memo has attracted the usual and roundly deserved ridicule and scorn.

Its always a "too good to be true" headline, then the detail exposes the sheer nitwittery of the plan, theres alway an angle where no matter how good the idea, they work in just enough strife and loose ends to make the hopeful reader realise theyre being milked yet again.

Yes, I can't really see what the offer is, it does not seem to be pitched except on a what their objectives are, rather than what a potential  customer may desire. The full detailed prospectus could be interesting reading. ....we could properly dissect it here...

Maybe the income proof would require an Embassy letter, so that will exclude a portion of the potential customer base immediately .

Do they expect a full $40k a year  to be all remitted to Thailand? That would suggest I would need at least $60k a year pension????  

Would you have to trot down to some office every few months to prove you still had the investment (similar to some retires have posted). or if the bonds were somehow time locked, and you passed away, how complicated for beneficiaries to realize there share. The property may be time-locked by market conditions....etc

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BestB said:

Yes like trucks that drive around with a sign 2 kg for 50 baht , 4 kg for 100 baht .

do not dare to ask how much for 3 kg

Standard genius at Seven:

subtotal ฿81

falang give me ฿101

my brain flat-line

give back ฿1 wrong

give ฿19 shrapnel change

smile because I fix customer problem.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Thai/Chinese?......No problem?

No problem!

They go all the way to the very summit.

However, geopoliticlly, it's about as relevant as the Mountbattens being German is to modern Germany. It only really matters here, not in Beijing, and never will.

• Like 1

I really like this government!  

They never fail to give me a dose of a good laugh!

Keep up the good work, please!!

Cheers!

27 minutes ago, aboctok said:

Standard genius at Seven:

subtotal ฿81

falang give me ฿101

my brain flat-line

give back ฿1 wrong

give ฿19 shrapnel change

smile because I fix customer problem.

Do not be so negative , be thankful you got any change back ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Why am I here?..........

PULLS: Prime reason, Thai wife, after 15 years in Germany she wanted to return for food and family (in that order).  Nightlife, we live in the centre of Bangkok. Rental costs, a fraction of UK costs. 

PUSHES: Not a fan of life in the UK.

"PUSHES: Not a fan of life in the UK."  I could only agree with that October to March. I think the UK is great April to September ???? !

The cheap accommodation in Thailand is a big plus point that the country still has, cheaper petrol, most other things were becoming less cheap than before, though the exchange rate is nearly back up to what it was Q2 2018...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

"PUSHES: Not a fan of life in the UK."  I could only agree with that October to March. I think the UK is great April to September ???? !

The cheap accommodation in Thailand is a big plus point that the country still has, cheaper petrol, most other things were becoming less cheap than before, though the exchange rate is nearly back up to what it was Q2 2018...

I recollect getting 60 or maybe even 70 (?) to the £ ........didn't appreciated it at the time though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I recollect getting 60 or maybe even 70 (?) to the £ ........didn't appreciated it at the time though. 

Yes I remember the day of our buddhist wedding ceremony, I actually got 75 from an ATM, they had announces some new finance or control restriction and the Baht tanked for a few days.

Changed days indeed. ( though the first time I arrived in Thailand 1991, it was only 35/36 ish, but every thing still seemed cheap, except disposable nappies for the Daughter )

• Haha 2