TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes like trucks that drive around with a sign 2 kg for 50 baht , 4 kg for 100 baht .

do not dare to ask how much for 3 kg

Or when you buy for 160 thb of stuff in Big C

you pay with 200 bahts and the cashier needs to check

3 times the screen to see how much she has to give back and count

4 times the money in her hand, just in case there will be three 20 bahts bank notes instead of two

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Isn't it amazing how we've been second class citizens for so long and now since everyone is broke they want our money?

If they want retirees they'll have to drop the 250K requirement for investment.

You probably have been lucky to be a second class citizen

since i retired in Thailand 7 years ago at the age of 50 i have always been only an alien here, who was granted each year a new permission to stay in the kingdom for one year as long as i fullfilled all the conditions plus having to report myself every 90 days at the immigration office

On the other hand i am pretty happy to not be a Thai citizen

(first or second class) for sure i don't have any of the little rights linked to it but i also don't have any of the obligations, duties and restrictions going with this statute

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

Wow! Such a wild and unrealistic pipe dream, I want some of the pot they're smokin' !!!

Just sad they did not even put a second of thought to all those (filthy, pesky, non showering) foreigners who have been living, working and supporting countless Thai families, while pumping all their hard earned money into this country for decades...

Sorry, forgot - you already have them in a tight stranglehold since they:
a) Have pumped all their cash into this system already and will continue to do so, because...

b) Most of them have raised a Thai/foreign family
c) Feel home here, even though most officials do their utmost to make them feel hated
d) Have been cheeky and inventive enough to somehow obtain a valid visa, even though most locals and officials hate even thinking about this... Damn - how can we close those "loopholes"???

Edited by Freigeist365
  • Like 1

This seems like a good hedge in case some crazy stuff happens in a first world country.  The 50+ is so easy to qualify for why not.  Nowhere are there minimum residency requirements, just invest $250,000 in government bonds.  Easy.  Why not.  It doesn't even stipulate how long you need to hold them or where you need to buy them.  I will buy mine on the open market, get the visa and sell them.  Yeah, during that time there is a chance they will lose value or there will be a default, but oh well.

11 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Invest $ 250,000/500,000 in Thai government bonds ? OMG !

Not a big deal.  People, mutual funds, investment companies, traders buy Thai government bonds everyday.  Besides it doesn't say how long you need to hold them for so stop bitching.

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

All of my income is foreign and I have lived in CNX for years.  I have never been taxed on my foreign income while I have lived in Thailand. If  I had $250,000 USD in liquid assets at my disposable I would have never come to LOS.  For those who can spare that kind of money "better options are out there?".  However I do know someone who is pretty close to being a millionaire.  He told me his only reason for living in LOS is this:  Women and Girls.  Plentiful and easier to please than the western variety.  

WoW, a whole million.  If you told me that 50 years ago it might have meant something.  Now not so much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Showtime said:

Not a big deal.  People, mutual funds, investment companies, traders buy Thai government bonds everyday.  Besides it doesn't say how long you need to hold them for so stop bitching.

I am not bitching, only the fact that it,s mandatory makes me get the itch. Besides people who buy them are mainly Thai and mutual funds, investment companies and traders are not retirees. Doesn't say how long you need to hold them ? Knowing Thailand I am sure it will be for the entire period or you might sell them and buy new ones for the total amount. After you took your loss ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert Zweistein said:

I am not bitching, only the fact that it,s mandatory makes me get the itch. Besides people who buy them are mainly Thai and mutual funds, investment companies and traders are not retirees. Doesn't say how long you need to hold them ? Knowing Thailand I am sure it will be for the entire period or you might sell them and buy new ones for the total amount. After you took your loss ?

Who said anything about losses.  If a loss was guaranteed nobody would buy either new issues or existing bonds.  Retirees buy bonds and invest in mutual funds.  Holding the bonds for 10 years increases your risk, but doesn't mean you will lose money.  You could keep rolling over short term bonds or buy bonds near maturity and hold them until maturity and then buy new bonds. 

I haven't checked.  You may even be able to short Thai bonds at the same time thus your net position is zero, but of course you don't let the government know that.

There are many countries offering similar arrangements including 1st world countries.  If you don't like the mandatory part don't do it in any country where it is mandatory.  It is as simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bimmerbob said:

Good point.

With all the increasing uncertainties in Thailand regards residential restrictions, property ownership, the immigration reporting, etc. why on earth would foreigners want to choose Thailand as a permanent home? Go holiday there by all means......

Nobody with any brain would by property in Thailand for 10 years.  The only way to go is to invest in the bonds.

11 hours ago, GlassWayOverHalfFull said:

Why not. I could live anywhere in the world and year round I'd choose here. If you don't like it just clear off. The only issue I have with Thailand is the whinging foreigners. 

If you don't like whinging foreigners, maybe you're in the wrong country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Basically.  Always funny to hear people's responses about why they came to Thailand, trying to avoid answering "for the girls" as if it is the more politically correct answer that will somehow make them more respectable in the eyes of those asking.  Thailand is pooying, without it, plenty of better countries around with less hassle.

Actually, that's the only reason why it may work. At least to some extent.

Edited by candide
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Who said anything about losses.  If a loss was guaranteed nobody would buy either new issues or existing bonds.  Retirees buy bonds and invest in mutual funds.  Holding the bonds for 10 years increases your risk, but doesn't mean you will lose money.  You could keep rolling over short term bonds or buy bonds near maturity and hold them until maturity and then buy new bonds. 

I haven't checked.  You may even be able to short Thai bonds at the same time thus your net position is zero, but of course you don't let the government know that.

There are many countries offering similar arrangements including 1st world countries.  If you don't like the mandatory part don't do it in any country where it is mandatory.  It is as simple as that.

Of course I won't do it in any country where it's mandatory. It's my money and I decide what to do with it and not a government. I also don't think you are allowed to play with it as you mentioned above. Don't let the government know that ? The banks will have their instructions.

• Like 1

What will the Thai government do when some billionaires (in USD or EURO terms) buy up lots of land, and the Thais have to rent land in Thailand from foreigners or become subservient to foreigners?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

i totally agree, finaly someone not being in denial

the main Thailand's attraction is the pu...y power

if it was not for his girls and women, the country will

be as attractive to live in than Sri Lanka or Kuwait

where there are also a hot climate and beaches 

Lots of places that are tropical, lovely beaches, and gorgeous women. Try Costa Rica, Columbia, Argentina, Brazil, most Central American countries and South American countries. It is just a matter of $$ to attract the women. Spanish and Portuguese is a lot easier to learn than Thai for most westerners.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Lots of places that are tropical, lovely beaches, and gorgeous women. Try Costa Rica, Columbia, Argentina, Brazil, most Central American countries and South American countries. It is just a matter of $$ to attract the women. Spanish and Portuguese is a lot easier to learn than Thai for most westerners.

Exactly if you were a billionaire would you want your super yacht:

A. Docked in Pattaya being serviced by somchai? while you get serviced by some somtam breathed wench? while they local thugs try and shake you down.

or

B. Would you rather be docked in Monaco, having your super yacht serviced by the professionals, while you get serviced by super models from all over the world, all whilst avoiding tax?

For me personally it would be a no brainer ???? I think the billionaires would feel the same, people don't get super rich by being stupid do they?

Thailand needs to realise it's position and get in it's lane and cater to the people that want to visit/ live in Thailand, instead of trying to lure in these elusive billionaires that only exist in TAT's head.

No billionaire will put his time, or money into such an unstable environment, where the rules change everyday, the government official's describe their race as smelly, and they have no legal rights to protect themselves or their assets.

Wake up TAT! Get your head out of the clouds and serve your customer base.

Edited by JamieM
  • Like 2