Foreign motorist captured after allegedly recklessly driving and dragging a motorbike for over 800 meters in apparent road rage incident in Pattaya area

webfact

pp.jpg

By Nop Meechukhun

Banglamung/Pattaya-A foreign national was captured over the weekend, Saturday, June 5th, after reportedly driving a sedan before allegedly recklessly bumping into and then dragging two vehicles for 800 meters in a road rage incident in the Banglamung district, according to Banglamung police.

Banglamung police officers arrived at the scene in the early evening on June 5th after being alerted of the road accident on Banglamung 25 Road near Rong Po market that involved one foreigner and several vehicles of local residents in the area.

A black sedan with a Prachinburi license was found in the middle of the road with a black motorcycle nearby. Both vehicles were facing towards the Rong Po market, wrecked and severely damaged.

The foreigner, around 50 years old, whose nationality was unknown and name was withheld by police pending a further investigation, was spotted injured and lying on a footpath nearby, having been detained by police and residents. He was reportedly the driver of the black sedan that caused several damages to villagers’ vehicles.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/07/foreign-motorist-captured-after-allegedly-recklessly-driving-and-dragging-a-motorbike-for-over-800-meters-in-apparent-road-rage-incident-in-pattaya-area/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

he looks very like a Russian who was assulting women on soi Buakoew a few nights ago, he was steaming drunk and road off on a motorbike when challenged by a few Thais - he could hardly walk never mind drive 

I could of course be wrong but it does look like him

so he did russian styled Payback upon their motorbikes? 

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

he might have kept driving 'because' of the angry mob...

probably also Have him for attempted theft... 2 Counts of... 

Eh.... bias anyone

Hits a motorcycle and keeps on going dragging the motorcycle in front of him. Then the Thais pursue. Maybe that made him drive on but had he stopped initially then things could be solved. But probably drunk as a lot of foreigners seem to think its ok to drink and drive (like the Thais) though foreigners should know better but obviously a lot come here just for the lax rules.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

When I lived in India I was always advised that if I had an accident (thankfully I never did), under no circumstances should I stop, but to drive to the nearest police station, to avoid being potentially beaten or hacked to death by an angry mob.

Indeed, even in the relatively civilised Bengaluru (Bangalore) on a couple of occasions busses involved in minor shunts were torched and the drivers beaten. It probably also explains why, when the taxi taking me to Kolkatta (Calcutta) airport was involved in a minor coming together with a bus, the result was a cheery wave between the two drivers, nobody even blinked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m trying not to be bias one way or another and maybe you are correct - but the story is not perfectly clear.

But... you have made assumptions from the story that the Motorists didn’t stop after he hit the bike. 

Maybe you are correct, but the story does not clear on that point and may be incomplete. 

Either the motorist hit the bike and tried to flee straight away.

OR, the motorists, hit the bike, saw the mob form after the woman screamed and then tried to flee.

Of course, if involved in an accident the first thing I do is stop and check that others are ok. 

In this case the foreigner clearly didn’t to that and that is very wrong of him. 

He either didn’t stop be cause he was trying to escape or he didn’t stop because he was scared. 

You ask if am I scared of Thai’s ??? 

I am afraid of any angry mob when that anger is directed at me.

If scared he should have simply locked himself in the car and waited for the police to arrive of course. 

Why do Thai’s flee the scene? it's either because they are drunk or to escape a beating. 

There are plenty of stories in the media where a foreigner is set upon by a group of Thai’s after a perceived slight.

If there are plenty of stories about a foreigner being set upon after a traffic accident id love to see them. Because I have not you say there are just one link would be good ? So a link of a story where a foreigner stopped and got out after an accident (so no fleeing) and got set upon.

Why Thais don't stop, because they are drunk (same thing i expect the foreigner to be)

48 minutes ago, smedly said:

he looks very like a Russian who was assulting women on soi Buakoew a few nights ago, he was steaming drunk and road off on a motorbike when challenged by a few Thais - he could hardly walk never mind drive 

I could of course be wrong but it does look like him

You are so correct , I could of course be wrong . 

In that situation it could be advisable to bite your lip .

Just now, robblok said:

If there are plenty of stories about a foreigner being set upon after a traffic accident id love to see them. Because I have not you say there are just one link would be good ? So a link of a story where a foreigner stopped and got out after an accident (so no fleeing) and got set upon.

Why Thais don't stop, because they are drunk (same thing i expect the foreigner to be)

I don’t disagree... 

But...  many foreigners have been told many things which makes them paranoid.

i.e.

- ‘Don't help someone who’s been in an accident you will get charged and end up paying for it’ 

- ‘Don’t stop in an accident, if you can drive to a police station, especially at night’ 

I’ve been told both of these... the foreigner didn’t stop for a reason.

He was either trying to ‘escape’ or he was ’scared’

If trying to escape he is clearly a total ayhole...  But, at night I would be quite frightened of the consequences if I had an accident and there was a group of Thai men approaching.

------

I had an accident in a multi-storey car park about 10 years ago, it was morning (parking for work) and a girl tried to overtake me in the car park and scraped the side of my car. Within a couple of minutes there were about 20 people there supporting her (mostly guys) none of them looked very happy.

I went back to my car and called my insurance and stayed in the car - it was perfectly feasible that the one of her male co-workers would start to get angry with me and start to get physical, things get out of hand very quickly. 

When the insurance came the girl and her mob of angry friends threatened me with the police until I told them I’d already called the police !

My point here is that when an accident happens it takes a very cool mind to remain calm and as we know young uneducated Thai men who may be drunk (in the case of this black car hitting the motorcycle) may not keep a cool mind.

In such a case, I believe instinct would kick in and I’d get out and make sure the woman and child were ok, but doing so could place us in the line of fire of a group of upset Thai men. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A foreigner had an accident with a motorcycle, a mob chased him 800m caught him and kicked the s£!te out of him !!!

What the foreigner did is clearly wrong, will any of the Thai who beat him also face assault charges ?

Was the foreigner also drunk etc ? how did the accident happen ?

Clearly wrong ? I have read the same report as you have , yet i fail to see which of the parties are clearly wrong . 

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

If there are plenty of stories about a foreigner being set upon after a traffic accident id love to see them.

I haven’t read any such news either - but I’ve heard of it. 

I also have friends who’ve been beaten up by motorcycle taxi’s (win) and also a couple of friends who’ve been beaten by a Taxi Driver - none of these events made the news.

Personally, I’ve never had any trouble here and don’t expect to. But if I’m involved in an accident at night I would automatically go on to ‘high alert’ for my physical safety. 

Edit: I want to be clear, I am not supporting the Foreigner who tried to flee, he is clearly in the wrong and clearly deserved a kicking. 

The fact that he got a kicking highlights that they happen, deservedly in the case.

Now... The Mob who took the law into their own hands assaulted someone. Will they be charged with assault ?? I think we know the answer. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Judging by his wrecked car there looks to be some minor speed and a direct hit as that poor car is really messed up. So looking at that, the severity of it is not just a fender bender and I would bet he has some well deserved extra boo boos from trying to do a runner. In an exact scenario and case like this we should think that the Thai Mob would be the dickens out of just about anyone. Isn't it a past time here anyway?

Nothing to see here, just another day of a hit and run beating by a mob. Move along!

15 minutes ago, itsari said:

Clearly wrong ? I have read the same report as you have , yet i fail to see which of the parties are clearly wrong . 

must have been the motorbikes fault even though it was parked lol

Funny when motorbikes  bash my wing mirrors  in Bangkok or scrape down the door they just drive off, maybe I should  pursue and kick the living sheit  out of  them? Few  years  ago a woman on a  bike whilst I was waiting to turn right actually turned onto me breaking the bumper, she drove off too, another  good  kicking opp missed I  guess.

• Like 2