Why is the chicken so god damn expensive?

AndyAndyAndy

Well in CM if my Mrs. buys pork from many shops for her business, the clincher is so many times over the last few months as we would also have it for dinner, it was very strong pig tasting which means its old and it still is expensive. Yuck. 

Edited by holy cow cm

1 hour ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I'm in Sakon Nakhon.

I was in Marko, but out of principle refused to buy their 61 Baht boneless chicken breast. So on the way home I stopped in Tesco. And price was the same. It's not just one shop.

Like 4 months ago it was 40 Baht.

Of course, price goes up over time. But 50% in 4 months... .

Maybe the price of dog would be cheaper then?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think chicken is really cheap.

You are right of course.There would be a great deal to be said for chicken to be significantly more expensive, both worldwide and in Thailand.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Agreed, I wont buy Thai beef as in my experience its....not good, I prefer imported Australian cuts of Beef.

There are few ok Thai beef also but have to watch its "rare" cooked (hang) enough time. If not its like chewing gum!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

When I lived back in the UK, this was all women's talk. If men discussed prices at all, it was beer and fuel.

Back then we were all too busy working to go shopping.

Now I don't have much else to do.

2 chicken breasts for 35bht from Tesco Lotus seems a good price to me.

2 pork steaks for 68bht isn't that bad either.

I'm even OK paying 335bht for a kilo of streaky bacon from Makro.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Agreed, I wont buy Thai beef as in my experience its....not good, I prefer imported Australian cuts of Beef.

There is some extremely good Thai beef now.  KUBeef has 6 different locations.  Wagyu ribeye is currently ฿1,500/Kilo for a whole piece.  They will slice it how you want it and vacuum seal it.  They have lower grades too for cheaper prices.  I got some really good wagyu chuck and top round for around ฿650/kilo, lots of marbling and real tender.

http://www.facebook.com/kubeef

May be an image of food and text

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There was some chicken plants closed down in some areas... Covid infections.... maybe that has had an impact.

Didn't know that chicken could be grown from plants! Worth looking in to as an alternative to carrots.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not only Chicken but ....Eggs was in Makro last Friday

and the cheapest tray of eggs ,size 3 was 90 THB, 

before they were 70 odd Thb. a tray.

regards Worgeordie

Hens lay less eggs in hot weather.

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Why don't you compare the wages in the UK or Europe? You just can't compare the prices.

Because my income here is the same as it would be there---and thats the story for a lot of Ex-pats here.

26 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Didn't know that chicken could be grown from plants! Worth looking in to as an alternative to carrots.

Yes power is grown in power plants, as well as widget manufacturing.

World food prices in westernized countries are going up the highest in a decade lots of articles about this.

Expect prices to go higher here also.  Still cheaper here for pork and chicken then many western countries and I think the quality is better here, especially the pork.

Global food prices have risen every month for the last year, according to Reuters. In May 2021, food prices were 39.7% higher than they were in May 2020, says the Food and Agriculture Organization.

• Cereal prices have increased 36.6% since last May, reported the Food and Agriculture Organization.
  • Vegetable oil has increased 124% over the last year, said Al Jazeera.
  • Dairy products have become 28% more expensive over the last year, the Food and Agriculture Organization said.
  • Meat prices have increased by 10% since May 2020, the Food and Agriculture Organization reported.
  • Sugar prices are up 57% since last year, Al Jazeera said.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not only Chicken but ....Eggs was in Makro last Friday

and the cheapest tray of eggs ,size 3 was 90 THB, 

before they were 70 odd Thb. a tray.

regards Worgeordie

Egg prices are like currency, continuous fluctuation. We buy from a dedicated egg shop and they change daily. Are high at the moment, I was 105 yesterday for a tray on No 1, about 10 days ago that was 91. Over the last six months they have been normally 85 - 95.

The supermarkets will be a bit more stable as they absorb the fluctuation but will keep looking to maximise profit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

There are few ok Thai beef also but have to watch its "rare" cooked (hang) enough time. If not its like chewing gum!

My Wife did a makro run last week, and i asked her to get some good beef.

She said not a good idea as there has been some dodgy stuff going round

apparently. (Maybe she saw something on the Thai news)

I buy chicken breast from local BigC for less than THB50 kg. Compared to my home town of Perth, WA, where they were AUD8.99 per kg (over THB200), I find it extreemly good value. What I am surprised at is anything with bone or fat is 3 times more expensive (have you seen the price of chicken feet...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Mrs feeds the dogs chicken breasts because they are cheaper than tinned dog food.

Mr Pom. Snowball and Cookie think that is an excellent idea. With tinned dog food going at around 30 Baht a tin, and the three of them getting through two tins mixed with some cheap rice every evening, they have explained the economic advantages to me.

• Haha 2

Whereas Peperoni cost anything between THB 95 - THB 109/kg; hydroponic (locally grown) salad being THB 129 - 139/kg (incl. roots, plastic cup etc - all stuff you throw away). 

In all fairness, growing a peperoni must be cheaper than raising a chicken - or not? 

In closing, someone has to pay for all the little toys of the governments, be it tanks or submarines, unnecessary airport extensions and railway dreams from Phitsanulok via Mae Sot to Rangoon/Yangon or Chiang Mai via Chiang Rai to China PRC.

This stuff certainly does not come free - and if it just remains in the feasibility study level  where the first envelopes of the thicker kind have to pass ........ Look at Bangkok's stonehenge facing Don Muang airport, standing solid for 25+ years. Another pristine example of chicken price rise possibility was - at that time - the little aircraft carrier in Sattahip which has grown solid to the port with those little tiny barnacles ........... 

19 hours ago, Surelynot said:

CP strangle hold? 

You hit it on the head, same as Macro. CP's chicken processing capacity has been severely restricted due to 14 day covid shutdowns in two factories, but may be more. You know the Thai thinking don't you ? If you can not make the same profit out of 2 products then you double the price on one.  That held good until of course people stopped buying the overpriced  meat. Yesterday in Macro I saw that chicken was back down again to near normal levels. Now the CP plant at Saraburi I understand has just opened again, not sure about the others so has the supply increased ?

• Thanks 1