Fines of up to 20,000 baht now in place for not wearing a face mask

webfact

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Yesterday I had to go to my condo and in the space of 15 minutes I saw 7 people without mask, 4 farang and 3 Thai staff, even my tenant who had come up in the lift to meet me at the unit was not wearing a mask, I was wearing one 

Maybe we live in same condo. Twice I've gotten into it with people not wearing masks in lifts, once assaulted. Lifts are the perfect location to spread the virus & it can linger for hours. And security does absolutely nothing, don't even pay attention to who comes in or out. Office suggested perhaps I should take photos and send them to the police... It's their job, not mine!

Does this new old rule mention anything about security at condos having some responsibility for enforcement? I've suggested security merely mention to offenders "You need to wear a mask when outside your room". Even that is too much...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PEE TEE said:

Does this exclude exercising 

You are quite probably exhaling more droplets, and possibly closer to other exercising people, so NO, it should not exclude exercising unless you are far distance from all others.

3 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Maybe we live in same condo. Twice I've gotten into it with people not wearing masks in lifts, once assaulted. Lifts are the perfect location to spread the virus & it can linger for hours. And security does absolutely nothing, don't even pay attention to who comes in or out. Office suggested perhaps I should take photos and send them to the police... It's their job, not mine!

Does this new old rule mention anything about security at condos having some responsibility for enforcement? I've suggested security merely mention to offenders "You need to wear a mask when outside your room". Even that is too much...

Do your condo elevators have cameras in them like mine do.  Easy for them to review the cameras and notice the people not following the rules.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

OK, let's have some figures please.

Figures for what.... surgical facemasks 2.5 are 0.1  micron particle filtration efficiency...2.9 micron bacterial filtration efficiency (>99%). 

Published data have suggested that sneezing may produce as many as 40000 droplets between 0.5–12 μm in diameter.

Source

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I will humour you despite the fact I suspect I waste my time.

The virus is transmitted mainly via the respiratory route, when people inhale droplets and particles that infected people release as they breathe, talk, cough, sneeze or sing. The closer people interact, and the longer they interact, the more likely they are to transmit COVID-19, but infection can occur over longer distances, particularly indoors. 

Surgical facemasks are more than fine enough to catch and contain these droplets. 

I have read too many comments from fools stating the size of the virus is very small compared to a facemask mesh... as if it was a fly (or wasp) getting through chicken wire fencing... quite ridiculous. 

I have a close personal friend working at a major hospital here in Sweden as a virology professor, they are doing a study on the Covid-19 spread. All evidence points to the virus being airborne.

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do your condo elevators have cameras in them like mine do.  Easy for them to review the cameras and notice the people not following the rules.

Not easy enough. They never reviewed assault on me, for instance (it wasn't all that much of an assault, one good slug to my shoulder, 20 something male shouting "You want to fight? You want to fight!" yeah, I'm 71. good idea). It's all for show: signs plastered all over about covid restrictions, rules, etc and they figure that is enough, job done.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So still can be fined while driving my own car with my family inside and not wearing a mask, even though we live under the same roof and the GF and I sleep in the same bed.....interesting times ahead.  Next we will be mandated to have the mask on while inside our own homes.  It is already a Juristic rule to wear them when we go outside the unit, are in the lifts and in the common areas.  Saw a resident swimming yesterday and was about to ask him where his mask was.....lol

Nobody is supposed to be swimming-public pools even in condos are locked down-but you are lucky!!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But it is the leeway that will concern some especially given the propensity of the Thai police to interpret the law and come up with their own level of fines based on what some see as socio-economic or racial factors.

Squats for Thais as we've seen already, 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Figures for what.... surgical facemasks 2.5 are 0.1  micron particle filtration efficiency...2.9 micron bacterial filtration efficiency (>99%). 

Published data have suggested that sneezing may produce as many as 40000 droplets between 0.5–12 μm in diameter.

Source

So will the droplets (0.5 - 12 um) go through the holes(0.1 micron)  in the mask or not please? I am not very good at hole sizes.

The facemasks you mention are '2.9 bacterial filtration efficiency'. Covid is a virus!

5 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

I have a close personal friend working at a major hospital here in Sweden as a virology professor, they are doing a study on the Covid-19 spread. All evidence points to the virus being airborne.

As it is ejected from a big drippy sneezing nose at 150 km/hr, it is most definitely airborne.

• Like 1

Laws like these only makes sense in the areas with high case counts. Elsewhere it is draconian. The science is still somewhat fuzzy about how effective masks are, and few wear the kinds of masks that would really help. Plus, these kinds of laws tend to invite stigma, random enforcement by the local franchisees, and little enforcement against the big boys. Does anyone really think Cha Cha was forced to pay the fine?

N95 masks, which are worn in hospitals, especially when dealing directly with a Covid-19 patient, are about 95% effective, according to Murray. But all hospital workers undergo fittings to make sure the masks seal to their faces, Murray said.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/in-the-face-of-new-covid-19-strains-quality-masks-are-more-important-than-ever/article_4b6e2ee0-5f3b-11eb-94b4-4324ba878a29.html

And the obsession with social distancing?

Recommendations to wear masks to protect the wearer from droplet infections are based on the assumption that droplets travel short distances only, generally 1–2 m. However, of 10 studies of horizontal droplet distance, 8 showed that droplets travel >2 m, in some instances ≈8 m.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-0948_article

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KamalaRider said:

Or become vaccinated 

That does not totally stop a person from infecting others, merely reduces the symptoms/consequences for the vaccinee.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So will the droplets (0.5 - 12 um) go through the holes(0.1 micron)  in the mask or not please? I am not very good at hole sizes.

The facemasks you mention are '2.9 bacterial filtration efficiency'. Covid is a virus!

No, the holes are smaller than the droplets.

But even so, a particle smaller than a hole is very likely to be held. It says on the box, 0.1 micron particle (and certainly bigger) filtration efficiency is >99%.

I know Covid is a virus, I simply state what is on the box of masks.

• Thanks 1

I'd mentioned awhile ago to the amusement of many emoticon laughs that Thailand will be wearing mandated masks well into next year if not on a semi-permanent basis up through 2025.
Mandated mask wearing has "just" now been officially codified.
You really think this is going away anytime soon?  Not a chance.

But it all comes down to enforcement.  Thailand isn't a modern enough country to have databases that track what are effectively misdemeanors.  So tracking infractions will be entirely hit and miss.  And then enforcement will happen primarily in population centers.  Cops don't drive around in cars looking for moving violations no less looking for mask infractions out in rural Thailand. 

I'm glad I live out in the sticks where this is essentially unenforceable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

the space inside a car is so compact wearing a mask will make little to no difference no matter who they are - the whole concept is a failure out of the box.

The whole concept of masks is a failure. Studies have proven in some cases mask wearing is likely to promote chest infections as the same fetid air is breathed again and again or rather the fetid mask corrupts the air and/or keeps it in. We all know it prevents very little. If someone infected used an elevator before you, touching the buttons and you then do thesame, you can catch an infection and a mask won't help. 

Juristic offices at my place are on a serious power trip except in situations where big haired, wealthy thais are concerned and so the garden/park/tennis courts are open cos Thais use them but the gym and swimming pool are closed because they don't. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

If I’m riding my scooter with no helmet but have a mask on or if I don’t have a mask on and am wearing a helmet or either or both of the above,

what’s the fine?

1. Riding a scooter in Thailand without a helmet is close to suicidal and not very smart.

2. Wearing a mask whilst riding a scooter is also not very smart seeing as catching Covid or transmitting same is just about impossible when outdoors on a scooter.

3. The vast majority of Thais driving scooters wear masks but don’t wear helmets. 
4. Figure all that out. 

Pollution

1 minute ago, connda said:

I'd mentioned awhile ago to the amusement of many emoticon laughs that Thailand will be wearing mandated masks well into next year if not on a semi-permanent basis up through 2025.
Mandated mask wearing has "just" now been officially codified.
You really think this is going away anytime soon?  Not a chance.

But it all comes down to enforcement.  Thailand isn't a modern enough country to have databases that track what are effectively misdemeanors.  So tracking infractions will be entirely hit and miss.  And then enforcement will happen primarily in population centers.  Cops don't drive around in cars looking for moving violations no less looking for mask infractions out in rural Thailand. 

I'm glad I live out in the sticks where this is essentially unenforceable.

FYI.  I saw our doctor who is the head physician at our local hospital at lunch today.  Jokingly asked him how many Covid cases he's seen.  His rely: "Zero." 

And masks are mandated countrywide.  Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Trust the authorities to complicate things with laundry list of fines, just set up one fine for all and be done with it, now the question remain how well they can or be able to enforce the new rule...

Maybe after the 3rd instance a week in Nong Plalai jail with no mask allowed ?

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

That does not totally stop a person from infecting others, merely reduces the symptoms/consequences for the vaccinee.

That WILL very effectively STOP the spread from infecting  others, PERIOD. What kind of myths and false facts are you people  listening too.  I am amazed how much false information people actually listen to. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2