Fines of up to 20,000 baht now in place for not wearing a face mask

webfact

53 minutes ago, KamalaRider said:

There's no study to my knowledge that has been released yet, might be but I don't know any, I know some of the studies have leaked information about it 

May 7 ‘Covid is airborne admits CDC’

Many scientists explained this over a year ago, but the CDC only recently backtracked and admitted this. The following from the New York Times:

“U.S. public health officials have finally revised existing public guidance about the novel coronavirus, acknowledging for the first time that people can get infected by inhaling aerosolized particles hanging in the air in addition to “direct splashes or sprays” from an infected person directly onto a mucus membrane, The New York Times reported. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now warn that airborne transmission is a vector for contagion, warning for the first time that even staying six feet away from others may not be enough. “

"C.D.C. has now caught up to the latest scientific evidence, and they’ve gotten rid of some old problematic terms and thinking about how transmission occurs,” Linsey Marr, an aerosol expert at Virginia Tech, told the paper. University of Maryland aerosol scientist Donald Milton said there should be a “better focus on good respirators” for those forced to work in close quarters. “A surgical mask, even if it’s tucked in on the edges, is still not really going to give you enough protection if you’re in a meatpacking plant elbow to elbow all day long with other people,” he said.”

And more here:

"Federal health officials on Friday updated public guidance about how the coronavirus spreads, emphasizing that transmission occurs by inhaling very fine respiratory droplets and aerosolized particles, as well as through contact with sprayed droplets or touching contaminated hands to one’s mouth, nose or eyes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now states explicitly — in large, bold lettering — that airborne virus can be inhaled even when one is more than six feet away from an infected individual. The new language, posted online, is a change from the agency’s previous position that most infections were acquired through “close contact, not airborne transmission.”

And more long term research regarding the ineffectiveness of wearing masks here against influenza specifically, but applies equally to coronavirus:

“Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids …

There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure.

Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza … In this review, we did not find evidence to support a protective effect of personal protective measures or environmental measures in reducing influenza transmission.”

Emerging Infectious Diseases May 2020; 26(5)

30 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Doubt it.  It's been the gift that keeps giving to those in charge.  They

Your thought. Have you any proof of evidence that any government like the people to have half of their face covered? Usually government like the peoples face to be full seen to easier recognise them.  

why between 1000 and 10000

between 10000 and 20000?

I cannot understand why it is not fixed prices?

1000 for thai people and 10000 for farang?

In Europe expensive fines too

135 euros in France

250 in Belgium, 1000 euros possible in Italy, 6000 in Spain so Thailand is in the normal prices 

I wear my mask every day... I hook one end around one ear put it on my head and then hook the other end around my other ear...it makes a good sun hat when I'm out walking!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, WineOh said:

an enforcer would have made a small fortune on my soi this morning.

I counted 12 people without masks in the space of 5 minutes.

12,000 baht for 5 minutes work

Not bad money at all for a local.

now going up to 20.000..does that mean 40.000 for Farang  ..giving the police the authority to fine you at their discretion..Oh sorry forgot they are all honest ..ha

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Some are so selfish they think it is a joke and don't want to follow the rules and believe they should not be required to wear a mask.

I like it.  Would like to see even higher fines.  

They should put undercover cops at the malls, Foodland and Makro make a fortune. 

Are you the guy i saw in the bank wearing a balaclava 

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and if you wear glasses they will steam up too....perhaps you need to put large plugs into your nostrils?

I use masking tape cos the wife says i have a big mouth 

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

As a foreigner just follow the regulations however pointless you feel they are. Or leave.

I knew it wouldn't be long until I came across the likes of you.
Please read my post just 5 posts above to see where I think you fit in society....

Edited by Sig

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

Is being in your car considered being in public? 

I am a proponent of wearing a facemask, and even though both the wife and me are fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, we always wear masks while in public, but not in our car, (we are in Khon Kaen), We drive through the police check point on the ring road  almost every day without wearing a mask, and the police has never stop as or said a word.  

I find it difficult to wear a mask , especially when I am driving, because the breath escaping from the top of my mask makes my eyes water.  

If I wear a mask in the car ,I find the exhaled breath fogs up my glasses so I can't see properly !!!   So wearing a mask whilst driving could cause an accident ??   I'm sure others would agree with that ??? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

As a foreigner just follow the regulations however pointless you feel they are. Or leave.

And there you have it the Daily "If you don't like it leave" mantra". Well done my man well done.  By the way where did I ever say I wasn't or wouldn't follow the regulations.....ah yep sucked another one in...lol

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KamalaRider said:

I have a close personal friend working at a major hospital here in Sweden as a virology professor, they are doing a study on the Covid-19 spread. All evidence points to the virus being airborne.

Well that’s the Swedes for you.

The Turnips in Norway say similar too.

Funny how Europe screwed up so bad.

so few cases here in Thailand but still those that are here from Europe continue to whinge and complain…..lol

6 hours ago, connda said:

FYI.  I saw our doctor who is the head physician at our local hospital at lunch today.  Jokingly asked him how many Covid cases he's seen.  His rely: "Zero." 

And masks are mandated countrywide.  Amazing Thailand.

Er…doesn’t that indicate that mask wearing is effective….

4 hours ago, Antonymous said:

May 7 ‘Covid is airborne admits CDC’

Many scientists explained this over a year ago, but the CDC only recently backtracked and admitted this. The following from the New York Times:

“U.S. public health officials have finally revised existing public guidance about the novel coronavirus, acknowledging for the first time that people can get infected by inhaling aerosolized particles hanging in the air in addition to “direct splashes or sprays” from an infected person directly onto a mucus membrane, The New York Times reported. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now warn that airborne transmission is a vector for contagion, warning for the first time that even staying six feet away from others may not be enough. “

"C.D.C. has now caught up to the latest scientific evidence, and they’ve gotten rid of some old problematic terms and thinking about how transmission occurs,” Linsey Marr, an aerosol expert at Virginia Tech, told the paper. University of Maryland aerosol scientist Donald Milton said there should be a “better focus on good respirators” for those forced to work in close quarters. “A surgical mask, even if it’s tucked in on the edges, is still not really going to give you enough protection if you’re in a meatpacking plant elbow to elbow all day long with other people,” he said.”

And more here:

"Federal health officials on Friday updated public guidance about how the coronavirus spreads, emphasizing that transmission occurs by inhaling very fine respiratory droplets and aerosolized particles, as well as through contact with sprayed droplets or touching contaminated hands to one’s mouth, nose or eyes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now states explicitly — in large, bold lettering — that airborne virus can be inhaled even when one is more than six feet away from an infected individual. The new language, posted online, is a change from the agency’s previous position that most infections were acquired through “close contact, not airborne transmission.”

And more long term research regarding the ineffectiveness of wearing masks here against influenza specifically, but applies equally to coronavirus:

“Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids …

There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure.

Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza … In this review, we did not find evidence to support a protective effect of personal protective measures or environmental measures in reducing influenza transmission.”

Emerging Infectious Diseases May 2020; 26(5)

Typical Americans with their, so called studies, 14 months into a pandemic where 100,000’s already lost their lives.

3 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

how many have been caught and fined NOW??

What about NO HELMETS when driving motorbike.....I seen at least 150 this afternoon soi 8 off threppassit road......no helmets but wearing a mask........!!!

It’s their country, why are you so upset by this.

it’s the idiotic ferangs that follow suit that you

8 hours ago, KamalaRider said:

Selfish?? The face mask doesn't protect you at all or others from airborne viruses. Covid-19 isn't a drop decease virus, it's AIRBORNE. The only protection is to stay away from people and to wash often and well. 

Again folks , in order for a face mask to properly work they need to be airtight. 

If a mask was airtight, you would suffocate.