Fines of up to 20,000 baht now in place for not wearing a face mask

webfact

56 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So will the droplets (0.5 - 12 um) go through the holes(0.1 micron)  in the mask or not please? I am not very good at hole sizes.

The facemasks you mention are '2.9 bacterial filtration efficiency'. Covid is a virus!

Because it's completely ineffective against virus, saliva drops yes but not airborne virus. One thing that is true about facemasks is that it slows down the velocity for the air when coughing and sneezing, apart from that, only social distancing will prevent the spread. The virus is unstoppable without the vaccine. Told from a man who's got it twice already, once from a crowd in a supermall, waiting in line with 2 m. distance to the next person, my w daughter also got it, and then 2 months ago when my daughter brought it home from school.  Both times I got sicker than I  have been from any other infection in my life, last time I ended up in hospital because I couldn't breathe. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KamalaRider said:

I have a close personal friend working at a major hospital here in Sweden as a virology professor, they are doing a study on the Covid-19 spread. All evidence points to the virus being airborne.

I thought this  had been established  over a year ago!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jingjo01 said:

Someone should look at Bang Saray public park near the beach. Every afternoon and evening large groups of Thai youngsters gathering and playing around with loud music. No masks and no social distancing. Usually from about 5 pm to 10 pm. I did report it to the appropriate call in phone number several months ago. The operator said they would contact the Tessaban to advise. No action yet taken. These teenagers involved in risky behavior could take the virus back to their elderly parents and not even know. If I leave my house without a mask I could get fined. Why does this rule not apply to these irresponsible Thais ? 

It applies to all groups .

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

As it is ejected from a big drippy sneezing nose at 150 km/hr, it is most definitely airborne.

I personally never sneezed when being infected but I did cough a lot. But I couldn't cough very hard due to respiratory problems. 

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So still can be fined while driving my own car with my family inside and not wearing a mask, even though we live under the same roof and the GF and I sleep in the same bed.....interesting times ahead.  Next we will be mandated to have the mask on while inside our own homes.  It is already a Juristic rule to wear them when we go outside the unit, are in the lifts and in the common areas.  Saw a resident swimming yesterday and was about to ask him where his mask was.....lol

You see it from a very personal and narrative view. The government as hopefully all of us, want to stop a pandemi. One way the government think is possibly is to demand that all wear facemasks outside home. Then what is the easiest way to control it? Stop every car where people not wear facemasks and check if they all live in the same place, or fee everyone that not wear a face mask? The latter is easier for both them and you. So think again and think right this time.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

These are two completely different things. A rag around the gob will do then.

How do they know if it is your 1st, 2nd or 3rd offence?

It's the instantaneous comm technology developed as a spinoff of the Thai Moon Mission program.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I thought this  had been established  over a year ago!

There's no study to my knowledge that has been released yet, might be but I don't know any, I know some of the studies have leaked information about it 

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Some are so selfish they think it is a joke and don't want to follow the rules and believe they should not be required to wear a mask.

I like it.  Would like to see even higher fines.  

They should put undercover cops at the malls, Foodland and Makro make a fortune. 

it's the same attitudes that resulted in hundreds of thousand deaths in the west - some folks just don't care about others or they've become brain dead from reading all the conspiracy garbage on the book of face - either way imo they're no different than drunk drivers and perhaps should be jailed (where they'll be begging for a mask lol)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder if they have more ability to collect such fines than they do with traffic fines.  Traffic tickets can be thrown in the trash wit complete impunity.  These probably can, too.    And if you have little ort no cash on you, you cannot be made to pay on the spot.  The whole mask business is a joke.  The crappy masks 90% of the people are wearing offer no protection.   It is all a dog and pony show to make the ignorant feel safer. 

26 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Fascinating.

I reviewed some studies - as I always felt safe outside, especially riding my scooter, as long as I avoided bumping shoulders with other pedestrians.

One with 7000 military personnel who lived in poorly ventilated small accomodations. Mask wearing had little effect inside for the long periods...

For people outside, however, it made no difference... less than 0.1% get the infection outside... nearly all infected get the transmission through close quarters indoors.

Thus really mask wearing INSIDE and around shops or in busier areas makes some sense - but in cars and 'anywhere outside' is utterly ridiculous.

I'm waiting for the Mafia to try to stop me on my scooter...

Obviously, the police will continue to avoid entering any gated communities or private Moobahn areas in order to avoid being caught ignoring the crimes, drinking/dinner parties etc. just as they avoid entering any sois like ours, where there are at least 3 dozen ancient coaches spewing clouds of smoke that send all pedestrians running for cover coughing their guts out twice a day...

I continue to be impressed by the utter <deleted> that was the Land of Smiles.

Finally, somebody with a brain speaks.  Thank you, Ben.

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Just Bull+++t really as most Thai's don't have a pot to p++s in and will do push up's; only Farang will suffer with heavy cash fines to boost the Cops Tea Money !

Exactly. Last month I watched 3 farangs getting fined for no mask while waiting for their pancake from the street stall. Directly across the street was a pharmacy with the Thai women working standing in the doorway talking to her friend (Thai women) both without masks on. Cops gave zero f’s about them. Just getting some whisky money from the farangs. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WineOh said:

an enforcer would have made a small fortune on my soi this morning.

I counted 12 people without masks in the space of 5 minutes.

12,000 baht for 5 minutes work

Not bad money at all for a local.

What city/town do you live in?

57 minutes ago, Parsve said:

You see it from a very personal and narrative view. The government as hopefully all of us, want to stop a pandemi. One way the government think is possibly is to demand that all wear facemasks outside home. Then what is the easiest way to control it? Stop every car where people not wear facemasks and check if they all live in the same place, or fee everyone that not wear a face mask? The latter is easier for both them and you. So think again and think right this time.   

Doubt it.  It's been the gift that keeps giving to those in charge.  They may never allow covid to be 'beaten'