Confusion reigns as Thailand’s 3 million expats wait for their shots

webfact

52 minutes ago, polpott said:

No chaos here. How's your country doing?

The chaos might reflect on the recent situation of allowing tourists to go to Portugal then quickly relisting it as amber...

• Confused 1

I read today that US is going to send 500 Million Pfizer vaccine doses to 100 Covax registered countries. Is Thailand therefore in the  queue at the factory behind that order? 

Edited by rbkk

22 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Lockdown and restrictions are not vaccination programs ... for anyone  to put lockdowns in the same boat as mass vaccination is ludicrous.

The issues for Thailand and all but the richest of countries on our planet is to get enough vaccine and fast enough has proved incredibly difficult.

The xenophobia of the western world and those western huge pharma conglomerates in refusing to even consider waiving patent controls and freely giving the formula to the world so poorer countries wouldn’t have to scrape n beg for vaccines and the entire world could get back to normal much faster has been obviously the case.

the slowness and ever changing timelines is far more to do with this than the easy and convenient a go-to rather than the incompetence of the government.

Those who posit such things probably have no clue as the logistical and systemic barriers to procuring and rolling out a nationwide vaccination program. Well, unless your the US,  hold some of a few of the patents and can mass produce and distribute yet give almost zip to other countries. Yes I hear some tens of millions of doses are going to be given away by the US soon. But the world behaviour regarding caring n sharing of vaccines in this serious global threat is yet again another example of nation-privilege, and white racist policies.

So why are non-Thais not being accorded access?

The US seems to be providing to all. What nation is exercizing "white privelege"? Seriously.

I thought Thailand has had AZ rights for some time now.

Edited by Kwaibill
Expanded.

23 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

STILL not working most of the drop down do but nationality does not, are they doing this deliberately? they MUST know, better take it down completely than carry on with this embarrassing farce

It let me register all details about 2 hours ago but still only 3 BKK hospitals/sites "available". I am near Pattaya so will hope it all opens up soon.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I read today that US is going to send 500 Million Pfizer vaccine doses to 100 Covax registered countries. Is Thailand therefore in the  queue at the factory behind that order? 

Thailand is not in Covax. Their decision.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The key message you seem to be sending out is that ‘everyone else is a liar’ and don’t bother trying. 

Not really, my message is to remain  sceptical and do your own 'on the ground' research, rather than take the word of others as absolute gospel. Unfortunately, as I have found out over the years  there are a lot of outright liars out there in the social media world, as well as Walter Mittie's, exaggerators and mental cases . I am none of those things, but it pays to think that many other people are. 

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Not really, my message is to remain  sceptical and do your own 'on the ground' research, rather than take the word of others as absolute gospel. Unfortunately, as I have found out over the years  there are a lot of outright liars out there in the social media world, as well as Walter Mittie's, exaggerators and mental cases . I am none of those things, but it pays to think that many other people are. 

And some of them might even speak Spanish too......ole!

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

It let me register all details about 2 hours ago but still only 3 BKK hospitals/sites "available". I am near Pattaya so will hope it all opens up soon.

Yet the know it alls claim it's only if you live in Bangkok!

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

Yes I managed to register, again only 3 Bangkok hospitals listed.

A cursory "Cooks tour" of those hospitals revealed no appointments available until September!

A well known website posted some Indo Country's like Taiwan and the Philippines paid Siam  Bioscience to distribute the AstraZeneca produced and manufactured in Thailand and surprise surprise they have delayed the vaccine. They were Promissed 200 million doses. Yet Thai officials have claimed that there struggling to vaccinate there own Country's population saying the Astra and Moderna are in short supply. So the question has to be asked is if the Goverment offered 200 million vaccines of Astra to Taiwan why have they not vaccinated there entire population, and why are they offering the AstraZeneca to other Country's if there own countrymen & Woman cant recieve it in Thailand due to shortages.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rbkk said:

Thailand is not part of COVAX so they are SOL unless the US decides to send some directly to Thailand despite that.  Otherwise, Thailand will have to continue negotiating with Pfizer directly.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

A well known website posted some Indo Country's like Taiwan and the Philippines paid Siam  Bioscience to distribute the AstraZeneca produced and manufactured in Thailand and surprise surprise they have delayed the vaccine. They were Promissed 200 million doses. Yet Thai officials have claimed that there struggling to vaccinate there own Country's population saying the Astra and Moderna are in short supply. So the question has to be asked is if the Goverment offered 200 million vaccines of Astra to Taiwan why have they not vaccinated there entire population, and why are they offering the AstraZeneca to other Country's if there own countrymen & Woman cant recieve it in Thailand due to shortages.

My understanding is that it's part of their license agreement with AstraZeneca.  They have to ship a certain percentage to other countries.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Thailand is not part of COVAX so they are SOL unless the US decides to send some directly to Thailand despite that.  Otherwise, Thailand will have to continue negotiating with Pfizer directly.

Thanks for that. I was aware Thailand (He????) did not opt in to COVAX. I was more asking about the 20 million Pfizer doses Thailand said was due here October (For the students?). Will that delivery now be delayed by the US govt order or is it stock they already hold and are redistributing?

4 hours ago, rbkk said:

Thanks for that. I was aware Thailand (He????) did not opt in to COVAX. I was more asking about the 20 million Pfizer doses Thailand said was due here October (For the students?). Will that delivery now be delayed by the US govt order or is it stock they already hold and are redistributing?

Last I heard Thailand is still negotiating with Pfizer for 20 million which they will be paying for.  The US ones would be free if they get any.  I think the October timeframe is for getting the first shipments of Moderna.  I think they can probably get some Pifzer jabs much sooner than that once they make a deal and approve it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

. So the question has to be asked is if the Goverment offered 200 million vaccines of Astra to Taiwan why have they not vaccinated there entire population, and why are they offering the AstraZeneca to other Country's if there own countrymen & Woman cant recieve it in Thailand due to shortages.

Ask away, the answer is widely known and has been public knowledge since the agreement with AZ was signed months ago.

AZ didn’t just randomly pick out Thailand for preferential treatment to get a vaccine facility and vaccines ahead of other countries in the region , part of the whole licensing arrangement is that Thailand is obligated to distribute a certain amount of vaccine production under AZ license regionally.

Hope this clarifies for you...

• Like 1

The problem with our curent glorious leaders is they think they are not running a poor third world country and don't need programs like Covax. But that type of thinking is exactly what keeps them poor and third world. Because now they are in the back of the line trying to buy vaccines unavailable at any price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

Last I heard Thailand is still negotiating with Pfizer for 20 million which they will be paying for.  The US ones would be free if they get any.  I think the October timeframe is for getting the first shipments of Moderna.  I think they can probably get some Pifzer jabs much sooner than that once they make a deal and approve it.

What do you mean, "The US vaccines"? You made a big song and dance about  how the Pfizer vaccine "wasn't a US vaccine", despite the fact that I never mentioned Pfizer in my post (I link to your post below).

The vaccine commonly known as "Johnson & Johnson" was developed by the Dutch company formerly known as Crucell, so that can't be a US vaccine.

Going by your logic, the US only has 1 vaccine, Moderna, so your reference to "The US ones" is nonsense.

Just about everything else you said is also wrong but I won't bother wasting any more keystrokes since you are too busy waving your flag around to listen. Remember saying that?

Edited by nkg

1 hour ago, nkg said:

What do you mean, "The US vaccines"? You made a big song and dance about  how the Pfizer vaccine "wasn't a US vaccine", despite the fact that I never mentioned Pfizer in my post (I link to your post below).

The vaccine commonly known as "Johnson & Johnson" was developed by the Dutch company formerly known as Crucell, so that can't be a US vaccine.

Going by your logic, the US only has 1 vaccine, Moderna, so your reference to "The US ones" is nonsense.

Just about everything else you said is also wrong but I won't bother wasting any more keystrokes since you are too busy waving your flag around to listen. Remember saying that?

He's not talking about specific brands.

The US said they will donate hundreds of millions of doses to COVAX program, which Thailand did not sign as the only country in SEA. Covax is the worldwide vaccination program which europe also donated billions of dollars too, but thailand was too arrogant to sign up to it unlike pretty much every other country.

Thus he thinks Thailand won't get any of those shipments, due to its own arrogance.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

I'm confused.

"...It is expected that 20 million doses of Pfizer vaccine will arrive in the third quarter of this year."

https://thailand.prd.go.th/ewt_news.php?nid=11364&filename=index

Edited by rbkk

Just now, Surelynot said:

Contract now actually signed today for 20 million....if that helps any?

Thanks!

So the original question is still "Is Thailand in front or behind of the US Govt 500 million doses order?"