Confusion reigns as Thailand’s 3 million expats wait for their shots

webfact

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Soz......didn't read the thread.........but pound to a penny behind....5555

The day after the US Govt order announcement and Thailand finally place an order. You could well be right!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, nauseus said:

It let me register all details about 2 hours ago but still only 3 BKK hospitals/sites "available". I am near Pattaya so will hope it all opens up soon.

Just logged in - now the BPH has disappeared from the damn list completely. 

Edited by nauseus

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

It went off topic as soon as UK was mentioned.

My post wasn't off topic. I was an expat waiting for the vaccine. I expedited my own solution. I'll be fully vaccinated in a weeks time and back home in Thailand before the end of next month.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand is not in Covax. Their decision.

14 hours ago, shdmn said:

Thailand is not part of COVAX so they are SOL unless the US decides to send some directly to Thailand despite that.  Otherwise, Thailand will have to continue negotiating with Pfizer directly.

It's true that Thailand is not in Covax as such, but they have entered into a vaccine sharing agreement with Covax which means that could get some vaccine doses, in exchange for giving money to Covax and potentially donating doses if and when Thailand has a surplus.

Thailand enters into vaccine exchange agreement

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

He's not talking about specific brands.

The US said they will donate hundreds of millions of doses to COVAX program, which Thailand did not sign as the only country in SEA. Covax is the worldwide vaccination program which europe also donated billions of dollars too, but thailand was too arrogant to sign up to it unlike pretty much every other country.

Thus he thinks Thailand won't get any of those shipments, due to its own arrogance.

I know. In a previous thread, I referred to "US vaccines", and "shdmn" jumped in and gave me a big lecture about how "Pfizer is not a US vaccine".

Skip forward a few days, and shdmn does the very thing that he lectured me about. I understand that "US vaccines" is a useful shorthand for a group of vaccines approved by the US, he does not.

Edited by nkg

As for Expats waiting there turn even given a date don't be surprised when you turn up wait for two hours in a Queue then get turned away and told only Thai Nationals, sorry for any inconvenience. Or being told sorry all used up today.  How many members on here have had the Astra or Moderna vaccine ? or as i suspect you have stumped up a few thousand for the cheap charlie vaccine but told it was the Astra you got ? 

Edited by BarraMarra

On 6/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, John Drake said:

Well, I don't mind answering. I got the Sinovac yesterday afternoon. Originally, I was going to wait until Moderna or J&J came in. Was prepared to do that. But last week the university I retired from, Mahidol, called me and said retirees were eligible for vaccination. Sinovac, in my mind, is better than nothing. I'll still get one of the others when they arrive in December or January. But having something between now and then was better than going entirely without. BTW, two Thai friends got AZ on Monday. FWIW, symptoms from the AZ seem to be lingering for them, slight sore throat, fever, tiredness, muscle ache. The Sinovac went down like a flu shot, less than 20 hours later, only soreness at the injection site and some tiredness. So, there you go. I got Sinovac. Don't regret it.

I Got AZ jab on 8,June,2021 Free

On 6/9/2021 at 8:59 AM, mtls2005 said:

Another Natapanu nugget.

Does anyone know what makes up this 3 MM figure? Does that include legal migrant workers? State-less tribespeople?

I was sitting here and thinking where the fk did they come up with those figures. Are all those working immigrants also counted as expats 

Thais are now confused awaiting their shots too.  The government rollout to over 60s seems to have ground to a halt due to a shortage of AZ.  Last week appointments for AZ were cancelled.  Now private hospitals in Bangkok have sent out SMSs cancelling all appointments for the whole of next week till June 20th.  No one knows when deliveries from the local licensee can resume or whether it is able to ramp up to full production capacity.  If not, the whole rollout will be derailed for Thais as well as foreigners.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, BarraMarra said:

As for Expats waiting there turn even given a date don't be surprised when you turn up wait for two hours in a Queue then get turned away and told only Thai Nationals, sorry for any inconvenience. Or being told sorry all used up today.  How many members on here have had the Astra or Moderna vaccine ? or as i suspect you have stumped up a few thousand for the cheap charlie vaccine but told it was the Astra you got ? 

I got the Astra on 9th,and it was free,