COVID-19: Thailand reports 43 deaths, 2,310 new infections

webfact

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin announced the vaccine rollout in Thailand’s overcrowded prisons on Thursday, where more than 22,000 inmates have tested positive for Covid-19 during the latest wave

Somsak urged the ministry’s Department of Corrections to distribute vaccines to prisons nationwide to ensure that all officials and inmates receive jabs.

He said prisons in provinces with a high infection risk will be first on the list for vaccine delivery.

"This move aims to contain the spread of Covid-19, gain confidence among prison officials and inmates, reduce loss of life and budget, and comply with human rights," he said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001880

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin announced the vaccine rollout in Thailand’s overcrowded prisons on Thursday, where more than 22,000 inmates have tested positive for Covid-19 during the latest wave

Somsak urged the ministry’s Department of Corrections to distribute vaccines to prisons nationwide to ensure that all officials and inmates receive jabs.

He said prisons in provinces with a high infection risk will be first on the list for vaccine delivery.

"This move aims to contain the spread of Covid-19, gain confidence among prison officials and inmates, reduce loss of life and budget, and comply with human rights," he said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001880

Great, not only the general Thai population here but looks like inmates are going to get the vaccine before foreigners at risk do in Phuket. So I'll just hang on with countless others and wait and wait. It will probably be available in Private hosptials before it get to us.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Volunteers wanted for research on mixing Covid vaccines

The Center of Excellence in Clinical Virology at Chulalongkorn University is looking for volunteers who have had two different types of Covid-19 vaccine, its chief announced on Thursday.

The institute has now opened registration for people who have received one each of the Sinovac and AstraZeneca jabs, Dr Yong Poovorawan, a top virologist leading the country’s Covid-19 situation, posted on Facebook.

“The administration of vaccines would be much easier, faster, and efficient” if giving a different vaccine for the second dose was more widely accepted, Dr Yong said Sunday.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28423/volunteers-wanted-for-research-on-mixing-covid-vaccines/

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Indeed, the need for doses is well known. Because the population of Thailand is pretty well known, give or take 5 million or so.

what isn’t quite so clear is the delivery schedule for the 150 million doses.

care to fill us in on what that is? Because the cupboard is bare in 3 days time.

Change your reading sources and do your own research...

Start with PR THAI GOVERNMENT

Health Minister Anutin has on Thursday signed a deal that will bring in 20 million doses of Pfizer by years end. The government will also import 5 million Sinovac vaccine every month, according to the government.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1402933188129804294

1 minute ago, overt2016 said:

Is it just me, but I get the feeling that prayut is somehow pleased with these infection

numbers as they keep the protesters and students off the streets?

That was pointed out many months ago, in fact it was muted it his governments and the controllers policy as they know that shooting people which occurred during his time as Commander-in-Chief in 2010 will no longer be tolerated by a very large number of the masses exasperated  by the poor economy affecting millions of the poorer classes and other failures to stem the rampant corruption by military men

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Volunteers wanted for research on mixing Covid vaccines

The Center of Excellence in Clinical Virology at Chulalongkorn University is looking for volunteers who have had two different types of Covid-19 vaccine, its chief announced on Thursday.

The institute has now opened registration for people who have received one each of the Sinovac and AstraZeneca jabs, Dr Yong Poovorawan, a top virologist leading the country’s Covid-19 situation, posted on Facebook.

“The administration of vaccines would be much easier, faster, and efficient” if giving a different vaccine for the second dose was more widely accepted, Dr Yong said Sunday.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28423/volunteers-wanted-for-research-on-mixing-covid-vaccines/

That'll look good on your vaccine passport!

35 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Change your reading sources and do your own research...

Start with PR THAI GOVERNMENT

Well, it seems your simplistic solution will not be available by the time the vaccine runs out this week.

Hmm, buy some more you say? Let me see now, why isn’t every government in the world doing that? Ahh, right. There seems to be just a tad more to it than your armchair solution. Unless…….Lazada?

wait, wait, there is always the PR that the Thai government turns out by the truckload. Trouble is, there seems a disconnect with reality. If you believe that codswallop,  it’s probably why you think you can just “buy some more”.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Health Minister Anutin has on Thursday signed a deal that will bring in 20 million doses of Pfizer by years end. The government will also import 5 million Sinovac vaccine every month, according to the government.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1402933188129804294

I suspect these sinovac imports may have a lot to do with the sudden desire to experiment with using two different types of vaccines. AZ base, sinovac top up.

I wonder what site these young foreigners used to register?  

Vaccinations at the Bangkok Bank Football Association today in #Bangkok. Many of those getting inoculated there are foreign factory workers in the area. #COVID19

ImageImageImage

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1402928696848109569

11 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Vaccinations at the Bangkok Bank Football Association today in #Bangkok. Many of those getting inoculated there are foreign factory workers in the area. #COVID19

ImageImageImage

They are probably part of a cluster and being "forced" to being vaccinated. 

• Like 1

According to Dr. Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the Thai Medical Sciences Department, the Delta variant of COVID-19, which was first emerged in India, has spread to 11 provinces in Thailand, with 348 people found to be infected to date, including 318 cases in Bangkok alone.

He said Thursday that random tests on 4,185 samples from infected people, taken between April and yesterday, found 3,703 cases of the Alpha variant (88.48%) and 348 Delta cases (8.32%).

The Delta variant cases include 318 in Bangkok, 17 in Udon Thani, 2 each in Saraburi, Nonthaburi, Khon Kaen and Chaiyaphum and 1 each in Phitsanulok, Roi-et, Ubon Ratchathani, Buri Ram and Samut Sakhon.
May be an image of text that says "NBT WORLD Medical Sciences Department: Delta COVID-19 strain found in 11 Thai provinces Bangkok 318 Udon Thani Phitsanulok 17 1 Roi-et Saraburi 2 Ubon Ratchathani Nonthaburi 1 2 Buri Ram Khon Kaen 1 2 Samut Sakhon Chaiyaphum 1 2"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

He said Thursday that random tests on 4,185 samples from infected people, taken between April and yesterday, found 3,703 cases of the Alpha variant (88.48%) and 348 Delta cases (8.32%).

Here we go, it was only 6% a few days ago up to 8.32% now, worrying indeed.

In the UK, real world study AZ and Pfizer vaccines were only 33% effective against the Indian variant three weeks after the first dose.

The Pfizer vaccine was found to be 88% effective at stopping symptomatic disease from the Indian variant two weeks after the second dose, compared with 93% effectiveness against the Kent variant.

The AstraZeneca jab was 60% effective against the Indian variant, compared with 66% against the Kent variant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57214596

EDIT

Just noticed, this is on tests carried out between April and now. So the true spread of the Delta variant is likely much higher already

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

ImageImageImage

I wouldn't mind some Lot 430

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here we go, it was only 6% a few days ago up to 8.32% now, worrying indeed.

I think the 88.48% of the UK Alpha British B117 Kent highly contagious English strain is more of a worry to me to be honest.

It has caused 90%+ of the deaths in Thailand.

Things would be very different in Thailand without it.

Take care mate.

Just now, RobMuir said:

I think the 88.48% of the UK Alpha British B117 Kent highly contagious English strain is more of a worry to me to be honest.

It has caused 90%+ of the deaths in Thailand.

Things would be very different in Thailand without it.

Take care mate.

Obviously so, its the dominant variant right now.

however the worry is that the Delta variant may over take it as it did in the UK and is starting to in the US.

Take care Bob

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No need to wait now Brian.

Put hand up for 2 different shots.

Seriously good way to get early jabs no appointment required.

Brian could be patient SIGMA, the first guy to catch all known variants in the festering sandbox of Plague Island.

Good luck Brian, we are all rooting for you.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Brian could be patient SIGMA, the first guy to catch all known variants in the festering sandbox of Plague Island.

Good luck Brian, we are all rooting for you.

You're the only people who are,  Phuket Health Authority have absolutely no regard for foreigners in the at risk group. 

13 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, it seems your simplistic solution will not be available by the time the vaccine runs out this week.

Hmm, buy some more you say? Let me see now, why isn’t every government in the world doing that? Ahh, right. There seems to be just a tad more to it than your armchair solution. Unless…….Lazada?

wait, wait, there is always the PR that the Thai government turns out by the truckload. Trouble is, there seems a disconnect with reality. If you believe that codswallop,  it’s probably why you think you can just “buy some more”.

You do understand, or perhaps you don’t, that there is an AZ production facility in Thailand?

You do understand, or perhaps you don’t, that the Thai government has ordered 63m doses?

Anyway, 1.2m doses administered in the first 3 days of the ‘official’ rollout isn’t too bad ..

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I doubt they'll open for vaccinated tourists this year. It will be postponed and postponed again. 

I think the issue is more if tourists will want to come.  Lets face it if the tourists are vaccinated and coming from countries with low numbers of cases why are they facing any restrictions in coming to domewhere with much higher rates of Covid, and very little vaccination or testing and a new more transmissible strain.  It is the tourists who are risk not Thais.  In addition why come from countries with limited restrictions toone wher you have to wear a mask at all timers, bars are closed, restaurants are restricted in many parts and you cannot have a drink with anyone else.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Excel said:

I can see why you left your home country and support the Thais so much with such confused logic ????????????

Strange counter argument.  He uses logic and you?  Also, did you leave your home country so could feel superior?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

That’s an interesting stat although without knowing your country it’s hard to draw any conclusion.

do you have the numbers for people who have received both jabs in Phuket by any chance and what the percentage is of the population?

I think you know the answer.  Try again - how many have received the first jab?  You know that the second jab is weeks away for most or maybe you don't.

• Confused 1

Thailand reports 2,290 COVID-19 cases, 27 new deaths

COVID11.jpg
FILE PHOTO: A woman from Klong Toey community receives coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine, in Bangkok, Thailand, May 4, 2021. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

Thailand on Friday (June 11) reported 2,290 new COVID-19 cases and 43 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1220157-thailand-reports-2290-covid-19-cases-27-new-deaths/

//CLOSED//

/Admin