Dowry cost in Thailand

KhonDD

Do whatever you are comfortable doing.

My wife and I married officially at the amphur in Feb and had the Isaan blessing and party the following November.

A large amount (4 million + ) was placed on the table and given to MIL for show, all returned that same day and safely back in the bank that evening, accompanied by uncle and his two police friends.

The envelopes received on the day just about covered the cost of the dinner and drink, it was only a daytime event, no mad music into the small hours.

Six years down the line, MIL has transferred the 20 room dormitory and her house to my wife and has never asked for a single satang, all we paid was the transfer fees.

We have refurbished the house and used the fake sinsot money and some of my retirement lump sum to build another dorm, so we now have income from 38 rooms for rent.

• Like 2

Sin Sot was mentioned when I got married.  I told her Sin Sot was for 18-year-old virgins, not a woman in her 50's with children in their 30's.  That ended that.  I think friends had been pushing her to ask; "he fallang, he rich".  He not!  ????

• Like 1

I have a small discussion where i tell my gf that it is mother and father that asks for the sinsod and not gf. She says its not and im stating that in all world where sinsod is asked for the sinsod is for mother and father. We also discuss about that a Thaiman would never pay sinsod for a girl with 2 children an unmarrid where she states that a Thaiman would. PLease someone help me with this question

• Haha 1

Google might be a better way to search Thaivisa forums, there are several recent threads about sin sod...

Sin sod query - Marriage and divorce - Thai Visa Forum

14. feb. 2021 — Sinsod is outdated and is not part of your culture. As an American Father my responsibility is to pay for my Daughters wedding when the time ...
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Every situation in regards to a dowry will be unique.  I will try to keep it simple just in the interest of saving time.

Generally if she has been married before or has kids, there will not be a dowry.  If there is a divorce, you're not getting your money back.  Think of it as a gift to her family and just be willing to walk away from it.

If she is younger and/or has a University education with a decent job, the expectation for the dowry will likely be higher. 

The subject of a dowry is a very sensitive topic to many foreigners who simply don't agree with it.  However, it is a very real practice in Thailand where even the Thai men will typically procure a loan to pay for the dowry and associated wedding ceremony.

My wife's friends from University have been getting married to the tune of 500,000 to 1,000,000 THB to Thai men.  These are just average looking girls with an education and a decent job.  You may be asked for more if the family gets greedy and see's you as a farang with a lot of money, it's very typical in the villages of Isaan.  However, if the family see's their daughter is happy and she is on your side, they may be willing to work with you on that.  It really depends, so many variables to this.

Regarding divorce I believe Thai law dictates everything that's been accumulated during in a relationship should be divided 50/50...simple. In practice I've no idea if it works.

Some other points:

A dowry is not an obligation for everybody: The tradition is more appropriate between Thai couples

A dowry might be offered and declined (as in the case of my own Thai wife with her first marriage)

I believe that if she is not a virgin no sin sod is applicable.

Will somebody lie about that?

I also have heard that the dowry money should be returned as it is a gesture of good faith only

I have not been involved in such a thing as a dowry but if it were me, I might argue there is just as much importance of my culture as theirs, so maybe we negotiate.

Definitely, I want to get on with my in-laws and I want my girl to be happy that they and us will be compatible for the future so make some sort of arrangement we can all agree on!

Answering the OP about how much? Once you are willing, then you are restricted by how much you can afford.

And remember, Many parents of the bride will expect you to buy or build her a house, some gold and...

But every potential bride and her parents will be different and you all have to work out something!

Good Luck, mate!

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

She knew you were a bright "spark" and she was on the right "track" and wasnt being "railroaded"....yes all puns intended mate...5555

Oh, it was all "engineered" by my boss's Thai wife (I had met her in HK). She decided that Crossy had "woman problems", he didn't have one, so one was provided! Apparently I'd been spotted as "a bit of alright" at one of her parties (Madam is still blind as a bat) and so a date was organised. The rest, as they say, is history.

• Like 2

Yes, Sin-sod is usually paid if not previously married and no children. Theoretically she should be a virgin - but these days unlikely. Remember the sin-sod and other gifts/party is mainly about face for the parents. No money, their social status may fall (especially in the village). The last 2  Thai-Thai weddings i went to were lavish affairs - one was for about 300 guests at a prestigious hotel, the other was at a large entertainment venue with  about 500 guests. Neither of them were Hi-so affairs. Sin-sod was paid in both cases although how much i do not remember.

My own wedding i was asked for 600,000 baht, same as was paid for the youngest daughter. I negotiated that down to 300,000 which my queries prior to the marriage suggested was a normal amount if the husband could afford it (also she was  a bit long in the tooth). The party (with morlam) came to 48,000 baht, held in families restaurant, about 200 guests. I bought a ring, but we borrowed the gold. This was 11 years ago. Father was the previous pooyai-baan for many years so there was face to be upheld.

We lived in M-in-L's house so no rent to pay or house to build at first. But as i found out later, sin-sod and the wedding were just down payments on the costs to come! But that's another story. Still married.

It's strange how accepting westerners are of the term dowry to describe sin sod. In no way is it a dowry. It doesn't look like a dowry, or work like a dowry. In attempting to describe sin sod accurately in English, it's difficult to avoid the inelegant phrase bride price, but then, there you have it, that's what it is.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Oh, it was all "engineered" by my boss's Thai wife (I had met her in HK). She decided that Crossy had "woman problems", he didn't have one, so one was provided! Apparently I'd been spotted as "a bit of alright" at one of her parties (Madam is still blind as a bat) and so a date was organised. The rest, as they say, is history.

Yes, we are sized up as marriage prospects very quickly. I had only been in Thailand 4 days when the wife of a hotel manager tried to set me up with a waitress! My wife/wife's family did the same at their restaurant/fishing park - on 4th visit the wife invited me out. Good husbands are like durian .... always looking for a good deal!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Some families return the sin sod - their choice. By refusing to give sin sod, for whatever rationalization you might have, you are pretty handily insulting their daughter as worthless... they may accept this as it might in the long run be better for their daughter if they don't make waves, but it is still quite an insult. 

I was never asked for sin sod, my GF was married previously. As my GF and her family are very happy with what I have brought to the table, I suggest you stop making unwarranted and insulting assumptions about someone you don't know.

Are you saying sin sod should be paid for GF's as well as wives? That's a new one.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't take the "virgin" requirement too literally in this day and age, but the cheek of some families to ask for a dowry despite the fact that the bride-to-be has already been married to another man or even given birth is unbelievable. In these cases, any illusion of virginity is obviously out of the window - and so should be any delusion of receiving a dowry!

• Like 2

I would stick at no paying any dowry. If she or her family is not okay just do not marry.

You are not a Thai and it is your girlfriends fault if she choosed a foreigner.

And also... Have you ever heard of a Thai man paying sinsod to his farangs bride family?

I never heard of something like that.

• Like 1

Ok, this is pedantic, I admit, but...

Dowry is money paid by the bride's family to the groom or to the groom's family. 

Sin Sod is more akin to a bride-price.

From wikipedia: A dowry is a transfer of parental property, gifts, property or money upon the marriage of a daughter (bride).[1] Dowry contrasts with the related concepts of bride price and dower. While bride price or bride service is a payment by the groom, or his family, to the bride, or her family, dowry is the wealth transferred from the bride, or her family, to the groom, or his family. Similarly, dower is the property settled on the bride herself, by the groom at the time of marriage, and which remains under her ownership and control.[2] 

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

I wouldn't take the "virgin" requirement too literally in this day and age, but the cheek of some families to ask for a dowry despite the fact that the bride-to-be has already been married to another man or even given birth is unbelievable. In these cases, any illusion of virginity is obviously out of the window - and so should be any delusion of receiving a dowry!

... or even given birth ...

A cow with a calf is worth more.

• Haha 2