Dowry cost in Thailand

KhonDD

1 hour ago, lodstewart said:

my lady has a cousin in the Village, was Bar Girl , married  an American Guy has one son, the Husband died 2 years ago,

She went back to the Bar to work, met another American, who is besotted with her and wants to marry,

the in laws to be have asked 500k sinsod, the first Husband paid 300k, He has already bought gold for MIL and girl,

and Motorbike for the Father , sends the girl 40k every month , He is back in the States due to the pandemic at the moment.

the greed of some families is relentless, I fear it will be much worse for him as time goes by.

"... asked 500k sinsod, the first Husband paid 300k..."

Inflation is a bitch.  Hope she isn't. 

I got my gal cheap.  It wasn't until 20 or so years later when I had money that I got tapped.  Mostly long-term interest-free loans which worked out. Still own a house and a couple lots there in some relative's name.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 6:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems it is pretty common that a big amount is shown at the wedding and it is agreed already that the bigger part of that money will be returned after the ceremony. All just for show.

But then it also seems to happen that the receivers somehow forget that they agreed that part will be given back...

Be careful and prepare to walk away from the girl or the money.

I was with my GF for 5 years before we got married, she has two children, and a university education, she was in fulltime education till she was 22 years old, and has a good job.

There was no way I would ever have paid any dowry even if she never had any kids. We just went to Bangkok and had a simple marriage done through a legal company which cost me 15000Bt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I pay a monthly sin sod.

AFAIK sin sod is only applicable to virgins, anything else is not genuine.

How can you be really sure she is a virgin? You only have her word for that.

On 6/15/2021 at 3:09 AM, Maha Sarakham said:

Every situation in regards to a dowry will be unique.  I will try to keep it simple just in the interest of saving time.

Generally if she has been married before or has kids, there will not be a dowry.  If there is a divorce, you're not getting your money back.  Think of it as a gift to her family and just be willing to walk away from it.

If she is younger and/or has a University education with a decent job, the expectation for the dowry will likely be higher. 

The subject of a dowry is a very sensitive topic to many foreigners who simply don't agree with it.  However, it is a very real practice in Thailand where even the Thai men will typically procure a loan to pay for the dowry and associated wedding ceremony.

My wife's friends from University have been getting married to the tune of 500,000 to 1,000,000 THB to Thai men.  These are just average looking girls with an education and a decent job.  You may be asked for more if the family gets greedy and see's you as a farang with a lot of money, it's very typical in the villages of Isaan.  However, if the family see's their daughter is happy and she is on your side, they may be willing to work with you on that.  It really depends, so many variables to this.

Dowry is a polite word for a woman being sold into human slavery. Here is another variable that needs to be considered. Why would anyone in their right mind pay money to have sex with the same woman every day, pay for everything else she wants and put up with her BS? If I'm going to pay, then I'm going for variety and quantity. Why help one family when you can help many?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would have to be mental to pay anything bigger than a symbolic money for tradition purposes.. Why not just give it to your family, people? Dont be stupid.. Its like double pricing 

I think its okay if you are a geezer and marrying young poor girl, because she is basicly gonna be your slave, but young attractive guy and same level girl? give me a break..

Edited by Kalorymetr
  • Like 2

the great mystery: what is it that gets men besotted with Thai women? I have lived in several countries, know couples who ''are in love''. But I cannot ever recollect coming across a case of a man besotted with a western woman?

5 minutes ago, paddypower said:

the great mystery: what is it that gets men besotted with Thai women? I have lived in several countries, know couples who ''are in love''. But I cannot ever recollect coming across a case of a man besotted with a western woman?

As my Thai girl said. They will take care of you and have sex with you not like nurse in your country. Old, ugly fat? No problem for a Thai girl ???? They want secure live in exchange for their 'services', this reminds me of middle ages.

That is the mystery

Oh! and its accepted and encouraged by Thai society too! in my country in Europe, people would be disgusted by relation ship of this sort

Use it while it lasts. This will change some day, hopefully before I get old.

BTW, my colleague at work, met his Thai wife in London and have been living here in Thailand for over 10 years now with her.

He told me, he would never ever marry a Thai girl met in Thailand as majority is just in it for the money. His wife he met in the UK on the other hand was already loaded when they met.

From my personal experience, there are many nice, normal Thai girls(and they would never ask you for paying the "fee"), but they will not date anyone.

Edited by Kalorymetr

Just now, Kalorymetr said:

Same in Italy, but I dont see old white man flocking there

Odd that sexy Italian women aren't attracted to fat bellied, beer swilling old expats like they are in Thailand.......yet another mystery........having said that my first wife was Italian!!

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Odd that sexy Italian women aren't attracted to fat bellied, beer swilling old expats like they are in Thailand.......yet another mystery........having said that my first wife was Italian!!

Thai girls are not attracted to them either, but if they made you think they are.. Well, they do damn good job ????

Edited by Kalorymetr
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Simplicity. Provide support for a Thai woman, and she is yours for life.

OTOH, a relationship with a Western woman is hedged with so many conditions and caveats quite a few men say to hell with it.

I wouldn't say I'm besotted with my Thai GF, but she's a huge improvement on what I was getting in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Not odd at all,

Our western governments compete with us men for the attention/ownership of the women.

Your government can outbid most of us working men, and demands less in return.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

The British government F#@$s as many of it's citizens as it can, at every opportunity.

You haven't lived in many countries in Europe I guess. British government is very good compared to eastern and south Europe.

I paid nothing - and never would do.

My wife is university educated - a doctor at a private hospital in Bangkok.

I think her parents were quite happy and never expected anything. 

We sent them a pic from Bournemouth beach on a gloriously sunny day yesterday though - surely more than enough for anyone. ????

The way I look at it is quite simple - I look after my wife not her family. Doesn't mean I don't pay for dinner when we all meet up.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

We sent them a pic from Bournemouth beach

I'm not a world traveler, but I don't think this beach is in the LOS.

Someone paid for a flight ticket, accommodation, travel, food, whatever....

maybe she paid 50% of everything......but if not, well, you are paying.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

I paid nothing - and never would do.

My wife is university educated - a doctor at a private hospital in Bangkok.

I think her parents were quite happy and never expected anything. 

We sent them a pic from Bournemouth beach on a gloriously sunny day yesterday though - surely more than enough for anyone. ????

The way I look at it is quite simple - I look after my wife not her family. Doesn't mean I don't pay for dinner when we all meet up.

That's quite of a daily commute from Bournmouth to BKK. Guess being a University educated Doctor ( is there anyone who is a doctor without a degree ? ) they can work online perhaps ? or else you didn't pay a dowry due to the cost of a season ticket to work.

• Haha 2

tradition or not, play the game by filling the dowry scale full of gold and 100$ bills to show the visiting 'friends' and family members how well of your future family in law will be, you don't have to tell them that most of the valuables are theirs, you in return will return their wealth to them, by promising to take care of the whole in law family.( up to your abilities!)

Any decent in-law family will accept and you and your to be partner live happily and forever.

Best Wishes for all.

HGMA

On 6/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, Surelynot said:

I look on it as a contribution to the cost of the wedding rather than "payment for a bride" with all its connotations.

The bride's family have to pay and arrange for the wedding (I am led to believe).......so you are just chipping in to cover the cost..

yep did the same paid mom 200.000..she paid for the complete wedding 200 guests..all the set up in the garden ..monks ..loads of bloody monks..i showed 3 million at the wedding then took it back to the bank that afternoon job done..also got a big part of my money back in envelopes..turnd out to be a good mother in law helpful never asked for a single satang in all the years ..they are not all bad 

19 hours ago, jkcjag said:

Regarding divorce I believe Thai law dictates everything that's been accumulated during in a relationship should be divided 50/50...simple. In practice I've no idea if it works.

Sin Sod is for the parents, so it can't be part of a divorce agreement. Khongman is for the wife and after the marriage it becomes her Sin Suan Tua ( own property) and will not count as marital property in the case of a divorce.

Edited by hanuman2543

9 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Sin Sod is for the parents, so it can't be part of a divorce agreement.

Once again, the falang comes to LOS thinking they are the smartest humans on the planet.......wanting to exploit the young ones.

they leave broke, bitter, and sentenced to a lifetime on TVF.

welcome.  lol

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:54 AM, KhonDD said:

I searched this site with term Dowry but got no hit

Well, you should try searching this site with term bumgun. You'll get crickets. 

TROLL

Nothing for me for2nd Thai wife. She had been married before.

First money grabbing Thai wife - I divorced. Funny thing was I got back together with her for awhile and she said if we re-married her family would want a new dowry. Needless to say I split up with her 2 days later.

• Haha 1