Elderly expats given lifeline regarding mandatory insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant “O-A” visas

1 minute ago, flexomike said:

There was no reason to switch a long time ago, no benefit, when the Covid hit, it was to late to do it, I got stuck in the situation where when I found out about the insurance requiement I was going to do the border crossing, but the timing didn't allow me to do it.

Yup...my flight to Penang was cancelled where I would have switched it out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have just removed several off topic posts meant to deflect the topic and several that were baiting and bickering.

Just a reminder this is the forum for visas, extensions and etc not the news forum.

From now on posts will be removed without a further notice of the removals.

Just a reminder of this after cleaning out some additional posts.

I read today, in an online article from the Thai newspaper whose name must never be spoken here, that this applies to ALL foreigners living in Thailand.

It says, and I paraphrase, that the cabinet approved the proposal yesterday and the Government said it would apply to all holders of the Non Immigrant Visa, (NIV).

It also says, again paraphrased, about the NIV O-A visa applicants and extensions having to show the 400,000/40,000 baht combination insurance, but goes on to say those seeking to buy the 3,000,000 baht insurance from overseas may do so, with all the hoops discussed above.

So, no longer 400,000/40,000 combination insurance, just for NIV O-A, but 3,000,000 insurance for all non-Thais living in Thailand. All....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Scott Tracy said:

So, no longer 400,000/40,000 combination insurance, just for NIV O-A, but 3,000,000 insurance for all non-Thais living in Thailand. All....

The second 'Great Exodus" about to begin....who wants to play Moses and part the Andaman Sea so we can walk across to paradise ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The entire insurance requirement is up in the air for now. It was only approved in concept. It could well be changed by the month the final version is done.

IMO the intent of it 1s to give some options for those that cannot get insurance. A plus side it that it appears immigration will have to accept foreign insurance. The covid insurance could go away before it is finalized in a few months.

With all due respect, you posted virtually the exact same thing about the 40/400 insurance...and now it hits every extension no matter when you acquired your original OA Visa. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Why are the vaccinated being forced to buy Covid insurance?

That is only for now. When all the vaccines that are available is proven to work it may not be required. 

10 minutes ago, tonray said:

With all due respect, you posted virtually the exact same thing about the 40/400 insurance...and now it hits every extension no matter when you acquired your original OA Visa. 

I don't think I wrote the same thing back in 2019 when the immigration order came out. 

I still think that was not the intent of the immigration order.

Also as I wrote the cabinet resolution is only a concept now. It could certainly be done differently in the end.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:23 AM, doctormann said:

And what about O-A retirement extensions?

On 6/16/2021 at 7:19 AM, webfact said:

People applying for the visa for the first time must include health insurance or government welfare with minimum coverage of $100,000 or 3 million baht for medical expenses and treatment of Covid-19.

FIRST TIME is not an extension and an extension is not a visa.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The entire insurance requirement is up in the air for now. It was only approved in concept. It could well be changed by the month the final version is done.

IMO the intent of it 1s to give some options for those that cannot get insurance. A plus side it that it appears immigration will have to accept foreign insurance. The covid insurance could go away before it is finalized in a few months.

You are correct....this or that could change. 

But when something gets briefed to the prime minister and cabinet (i.e., the highest level of govt) which is subsequently approved in concept you can bet there will be little to no change in the final product which will be a new police order and/or Foreign Ministry regulation update regarding OA visa/extension requirements.

Below are the new guidelines briefed to the PM/cabinet the other day which they gave their preliminary blessing to/approved in concept subject to some further review/refinement.   I seriously doubt lower level govt personnel will stray from the wording in the new guidelines which got a preliminary blessing and IMO these guidelines will ultimately be what we see in the new police order/regulation unless big public backlash occurs sayings the new guidelines while benefiting some, does not benefit the majority but makes it worst for the majority.

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/42740

image.png.0a885316083e998958d8a485ea9107e4.png

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again your view differs from many. I am sure more would disagree with what you wrote, so I will agree to disagree with you painting those who discuss issues as moaners.  Enjoy your day.

What do you mean 'again'?

I most certainly am not saying those who discuss are moaner, I said there were many, but also some here are discussing it realistically. 

Well, if you read it properly it say Covid insurance of 100kUS$ will be required for first entry wit a visa. That is de facto already the case as of now. So lots of hot air about nothing.

Just now, MadMac said:

Well, if you read it properly it say Covid insurance of 100kUS$ will be required for first entry wit a visa. That is de facto already the case as of now. So lots of hot air about nothing.

Apparently you didn't notice the new guidelines will apply to OA extensions of stay also....(i.e., where the guidelines say "...for requesting to stay...")

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Apparently you didn't notice the new guidelines will apply to OA extensions of stay also....(i.e., where the guidelines say "...for requesting to stay...")

Im refering to your translation.

4 hours ago, Searat7 said:

The Medicare supplement plan will only cover visits/procedures approved by Medicare so you will have zero coverage outside the USA. Some think Medicare is cheap too but this is not the case if you have a really good income as payments are indexed to your income. What really galls me is that the Thai health insurance has to be effective for the length of my O-A visa so I will be paying for 5-6 months extra a year as I spend half of the year in USA.  I have used O-A visa since 2006 so it is my understanding I could not arrive in Thailand visa exempt and apply for a type O visa based on retirement after arrival in Thailand.

In 2017 I came here on a 3 month tourist visa after I was here 1 month I was able to convert it to a retirement visa after proving the 800000 bhat bank account