Elderly expats given lifeline regarding mandatory insurance requirement for Non-Immigrant “O-A” visas

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just out of interest. You would opt obtain a non O at Savannakhet over just a border bounce (without reentry permit) to kill off your current extension and then obtain non O at Thai imm.

Of course this can only happen when borders open.

For any guys reading I think what immigration did to the folk already on a non O-A prior to the requirement for insurance is bloody ridiculous. The fact that a non O-A using extensions based on marriage to not have same requirement rubs salt into the wound.

Outrageous. 

Am I correct in the fact that Phuket imm does not enforce this rubbish on non O-A RT extensions. 

Oh the consistency. 

BTW , I'm Non O (retirement).

Clearly angered by what they did to the non O-A folk.

I had non O extension.

But had to obtain O A plus insurance to return last December.

Even though the non O was valid for another 3 months.

Crazy.

3 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I have an O visa extension of stay based on marriage and I imagine I am not 'punished' because I have to keep 400K in the bank to renew (or 800k for retirement), or is my thinking incorrect?

If you have the money, go for the retirement route, it is so much easier. No interview, no waiting, no bankbook BS, just show them you have it and you get the stamp the same day.

2 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I had non O extension.

Crazy.

There was a 'rollout' of folk being able to be added to list. From memory it was folk with work permit and permanent residents etc. Then non O-A was added to list. Finally it was non O and then tourist visas and visa exempt were able to obtain COE.

I assume you obtained non O-A as non o extensions were not on list for COE at that time?

Why is the government passing these requirements onto insurance companies in other countries? A lot of the problems are caused by this government demanding these 2 policies here and instead of making it easier they are making it very hard for Westerners to stay in Thailand. It will cost my friend who is over 75-years old (according to him) almost Baht 350,000 a year to be covered by the $100,000. Corona policy and the 400k/40k in/out health policy. Thailand is not offering any solution, but are trying to push it on to other countries. If there was only one policy either the $100,000 or the 400k/40k policy then it would be manageable, but not two.

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

All visas eventually expire, with the OA you convert to what's called an extension of stay if you stay in country and then get a reentry permit to keep it alive if you leave.  I have had OA visas for years. The first 2 I used the multiple entries so I did not need to do an extension and got 2 years out of them. When I decided to stay at the end of the 1st year on my last OA visa I needed to do an extension of stay based on the OA visa I had.  You still have monetary requirements and insurance requirements to show in country on an extension of stay based on the original OA.

Right, but my point is that you can get two years in Thailand by just showing that you have had 800k in a bank account for (from memory) one month. After that there is no requirement to show anything further for two years. At the end of those two years you can leave the country and repeat the process. 

This is not the issue. Most elderly people have sufficient funds to cover mostly reasonable medical expense. It's a soft lure but once you are in, there is a plethora of do' and don't' that will not make anyone happy.  I'm not convinced. Sorreeeee.

Edited by Magenta408
typo
  • Like 1

For retirement you need to show 800k everytime you apply for extension (yearly) and it cannot drop below 400k in between. That is the current status, may be grandfathered if they double it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I had non O extension.

Crazy.

Identical to my situation, now I'm considering leaving ( after my O-A visa has expired ) to KILL it and get some covid jabs at the same time, returning visa exempt or TR then back to Non O in country. The O-A can work well with open borders, and of course having the health insurance covering your permission to stay.....  ( bit of a headache ).

8 hours ago, smedly said:

can you not convert to an O visa, tourist visa can be converted, let your OA expire, yes I know it makes little sense

In order to currently switch (O-A Visa on Extension of Stay), I would have to leave the country, re-enter visa exempt (in my case) and apply for the O Visa in-country. The insurance would be required to re-enter, plus other requirements.

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There was a 'rollout' of folk being able to be added to list. From memory it was folk with work permit and permanent residents etc. Then non O-A was added to list. Finally it was non O and then tourist visas and visa exempt were able to obtain COE.

I assume you obtained non O-A as non o extensions were not on list for COE at that time?

Yes correct in my situation, my valid non o extension was not accepted for COE at the time. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing is set in stone yet. The cabinet only approved it in principle. It is now up to the health ministry,immigration and MFA to finalize everything.

Maybe immigration will agree to accept foreign insurance coverage. Tricare for US military retirees for example. 

I will continue to support your global medical coverage for retired military personnel. You will understand, I hope, that I will ask your support for equity in extending earned and paid for global Medicare coverage (I continue to pay a monthly premium) for civilian personnel.

8 hours ago, tonray said:

Good Question...and why do they continue to punish OA Visa holders and leave O Visa holders unscathed ? Extensions now are absurd...because my OA obtained in 2017 needs insurance(s) and the guy in the booth next to me does not , all other requirements being equal ? 

Do OA visa holders have to have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

On your page. My fav is Saigon. Prior to covid went at least once per month.

Never understood the big rush for people exit Thai for visa matters and need to rush back. 

Nor do I. I'm 82 I have a cat O with a 12 month validity use ,90day stay . So l have to depart for Thailand every 90 day , no effort .I like Penang .Train straight from Hua Hin to  Pedant Bazaar immigration .From their team to Butterworth then ferry to Penang. Try it its no trouble .Same coming back , train from Pedang imm to Bkk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tonypandy said:

Annual extension requirements are identical to that of O Visa holders with the addition of 40/400 insurance

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

The O-A is obtained in your home country and the Embassy wants to see the 800k baht equivalent in your home country bank account. Extensions 800k Thai account.

Edited by CANSIAM

Catch 22

I can name more than 20 retirees who moved on to Vietnam, Bali and other sunny places as their First Class insurance from Europe (Germany, France and Switzerland) were not recognized by the Chosen People at the holy immigration dungeon. 

Some were even willing to sign up for a local insurance just to please the local yodelers but, guess what; none of those listed insurance companies wanted to insure them as too old and having a first class coverage (miles better than the local stuff) would not even be looked at. Most likely they could not read English?

You might consider given the Thai tourism industry in general and the money-spinning retiree business a lifeline - rather sooner than later - as all retirees here have moved at least once (namely to Thailand) and can move anytime (again) elsewhere. 

The writing is on the wall - you're killing the golden egg laying geese; whatever they spend is 100% generated overseas, i.e. 100% profit for the Promised Land. But yes, it takes some little grey cells and common sense to understand that - a commodity which is rare if not sometimes completely absent here ....... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Cabinet has also asked the Immigration Bureau to improve the rules and conditions for foreigners applying for short term visas and to ensure that any changes to regulations are properly publicised to foreigners.

Sounds like the panic is beginning to set in. It's about time they got up off their collective behinds and did something.

Will anything change? I doubt it...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

No, you have to have it in a bank account in your own country before you apply for the visa. It has to be there for either one or three months, I can't remember which. After that you can take the money out and do what you want with it.  You don't need any money in Thailand at any point.

Edited by Exploring Thailand

6 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

No, you have to have it in a bank account in your own country before you apply for the visa. It has to be there for either one or three months, I can't remember which. After that you can take the money out and do what you want with it.  You don't need any money in Thailand at any point.

Extensions in country have the same financial requirements as O visa extensions however which is the confusing element pkus additional insurance requirements

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

On your page. My fav is Saigon. Prior to covid went at least once per month.

Never understood the big rush for people exit Thai for visa matters and need to rush back. 

Not do I I'm 82 .leave TO every 90 days for Penang, don't rush back.

7 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

So there is the answer OA don't need to have money in Thai account, if they are sick in Thailand insurance covers them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

Extensions in country have the same financial requirements as O visa extensions however which is the confusing element pkus additional insurance requirements

Yes, but you can go for two years without an extension. The OA visa is valid for one-year, no extensions required. The unusual aspect of it is that every time you leave the country during that first year, when you come back in you have another year added. So if you leave in the eleventh month, you have almost two years in total without needing an extension and without have had to shown any funds other than those that you showed at the beginning to get the visa.

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Right, but my point is that you can get two years in Thailand by just showing that you have had 800k in a bank account for (from memory) one month. After that there is no requirement to show anything further for two years. At the end of those two years you can leave the country and repeat the process. 

Except the insurance requirement.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MadMac said:

With an O-A visa you get the benefit of not needing to leave the country every 3 months. Only logical that insurance requirements for 1 year are higher than for a max 3 months stay with an O or B.

I have an O visa because I want to leave every 3months , it's great meet up with established friend from the test of the world I've made friends with over the years.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I have an O visa because I want to leave every 3months , it's great meet up with established friend from the test of the world I've made friends with over the years.

That's ok Percy, but current travel restrictions do not allow that. So, perhaps you are a bit outdated on your information and possibly <you read it>. 

Edited by MadMac
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tonray said:

Good Question...and why do they continue to punish OA Visa holders and leave O Visa holders unscathed ? Extensions now are absurd...because my OA obtained in 2017 needs insurance(s) and the guy in the booth next to me does not , all other requirements being equal ? 

you could have changed it to O Visa a long time ago, just by leaving the country, and starting the process here, it would take 3 months

Cant do it now of course, because you need the insurance to re enter

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1