Thailand targets reopening within 120 days as economy flounders

snoop1130

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“The time has now come for us to look ahead and set the date on which we can fully open our country and start welcoming visitors, because it is one of the important ways by which we can start to reduce the enormous suffering of people who have lost their incomes,” said Mr. Prayut in a televised address.

The time has come for the government to admit tourism is all Thailands got and the lack of it is driving it ever closer to bankruptcy.

It doesn't have the funds to keep paying millions to unemployed tourism related people.

Borrowing huge amounts of cash must be un-nerving the money men and they need to get something back into the pot.

Thailand other economy is suffering due to the high baht and quality of goods are slipping.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

3,129 today.

add in 30 more deaths as well.  It just keeps on moving along...so how can the country open up with tourists whose own country might keep them from coming and if they do upon returning then they must quarantine at home or isolate.  Of course with any statement, there may be many u-turns and flip flops with this as well.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The time has come for the government to admit tourism is all Thailands got and the lack of it is driving it ever closer to bankruptcy.

It doesn't have the funds to keep paying millions to unemployed tourism related people.

Borrowing huge amounts of cash must be un-nerving the money men and they need to get something back into the pot.

Thailand other economy is suffering due to the high baht and quality of goods are slipping.

Where is your source for these numbers?

Thailand's national debt is in line with other Asian developing Countries. As to public debt, Thailand is not in the top 20 in relation to GDP for 2020, of course USA and UK are there, and I expect for 2021 they are well up the list again. UK is spending like a drunken sailor. 

• Thanks 1

I'm expecting...'Following the PM's statement on reopening Thailand in 120 days TAT reports  a surge of bookings..."

Seriously though, I really wish Thailand was going to be ready for that because it would mean a return to some kind stabilisation. However, the way organisation has gone so far, I doubt it very much.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I am unsure how they still calling Phuket as opening when tourists required to stay for 14 days in government approved hotels while all bars and many other businesses are closed

I cancelled my flight and hotel for Mid July because of nothing being open...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"The country was ahead of target in securing 105.5 million doses of coronavirus vaccine for this year, and would seek more supplies next year, Prayuth said"

Given that inoculating 70% of the adult population is required. 105 million doses would surpass that, why would he need to seek more supplies next year?

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The government hasn’t worked that bit out yet.

they needed a headline that would make people think things will be ok, so they said visitors can come without quarantine in 120 days time.

they also forgot, if Thailand doesn’t improve its Covid/vaccination status, it will end up on many countries red list. Tourists will have to quarantine on the way back. That’s why it’s important not to rush……oh never mind, open and be damned,

I can understand the caution and not to rush but the attention to all these measure today shouldn't be concentrated on Tourist coming especially if they have been vaccinated the real problem today and always been since the start of the 3rd wave has been at their borders surrounding. Behind their words is still the mentality that foreigners are dirty especially the ones who aren't the same color as the Thais. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I can understand the caution and not to rush but the attention to all these measure today shouldn't be concentrated on Tourist coming especially if they have been vaccinated the real problem today and always been since the start of the 3rd wave has been at their borders surrounding. Behind their words is still the mentality that foreigners are dirty especially the ones who aren't the same color as the Thais. 

Agree completely. The focus on the tourist is foolish. It’s first necessary to implement a health protection program, fundamentally, but not entirely, focused on vaccines. Get that 80% there and then you are ready to focus  on tourists.

The trouble is Thailand was slow to start vaccinations. Now they are way behind and feel they need to catch up. Unfortunately they are catching up by cutting corners. They may pay for that down the road. Sometimes, more haste, less speed, makes sense.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

But at the same time , long-term retirees are still threatened with deportation if they happen to be on overstay for just a few days or do not always comply in time to some ridiculous rules ... come on Thailand show some tolerance and good-will to foreigners living here and contributing to the economy for many years already .

We are not criminals and do not like to be treated as such ...

That would be an intelligent move and a good point to start with ...

Broke the law, but not criminals.

Hmm, ok, I’m going to just leave it there.

1 hour ago, RR2020 said:

Reduced chance, but still very much 100% vaccinated people can get Covid, can spread Covid, can be in hospital for Covid and can die of Covid.

and this means the world needs to come to grips with the fact that ever single person is going to be infected eventually be it this year or in the following years with variant XYZ. Everyone is getting COVID. Get over it.

• Like 1

Seems to be the only way the boys in charge would take action would be when it affects the "baht"

Like boys lined up on the shoreline with arms outstretched trying to push back ocean waves..

Blasting the waves with their whistles..truth always comes out and Mother Nature always wins....smh

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

and this means the world needs to come to grips with the fact that ever single person is going to be infected eventually be it this year or in the following years with variant XYZ. Everyone is getting COVID. Get over it.

I have had it...so I am already over it.

I have had worse flu than Covid was............Covid is a walk in the park for healthy people.

Its just a new virus.............so healthy people recover no problem and sick and unhealthy people suffer from it badly.

Unlike Flu......which has a very nasty effect on healthy and unhealthy people.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I am unsure how they still calling Phuket as opening when tourists required to stay for 14 days in government approved hotels while all bars and many other businesses are closed

open doesn't mean anyone will be coming there. At this point the so-called phuket opening is going ahead simply on the basis of not having to admit that they screwed it up again

• Like 1

Urging everybody to vaccinate , with what ?? All being depending on vaccines being delivered , already having an excuse if cannot reach his date and nr's . And saying opening in 120 days from now when the 105milj+ vaccines havn't even been delivered yet is calculating this date on what ??? It will be the same as with the 7th of june mass vaccination , it will hold for 3 days and then they ran out of vaccines now they will open in 120 days and after 3 days will find out this whole plan was 1 big dissaster and just an at the moment sticking himself a feather in the !@#$ plan . What an useless peace of human this guy is , really unbelievable( well it's quit believable because he's really there) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Excel said:

But the THB is still holding up unfortunately

Cheap labour . That’s the windfall to the super rich . Work for nothing , happy to “ take rice” and not think too much. Equals profitable exports.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

I have had it...so I am already over it.

I have had worse flu than Covid was............Covid is a walk in the park for healthy people.

Its just a new virus.............so healthy people recover no problem and sick and unhealthy people suffer from it badly.

Let me guess: you never got a RT-PCR test and never did an antibody test, but you are sure you had Covid.

Mai pen rai, even if you did have Covid, you have no antibodies to protect against the latest variants.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

You are deluded.

Very few people on this planet are 100% healthy.

Many healthy people have died from Covid.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

If enough people are vaccinated, there won’t be very many variants. Because there is a mix of vaccines, it will be difficult for a variant to defeat all of them.

At any rate, I am vaccinated, so I don’t expect to get Covid.