Thailand targets reopening within 120 days as economy flounders

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

but you’re wrong on one thing, it would be 16 weeks later, not 12 weeks. That’s another test underway right now, how far can the second dose be stretched beyond the manufacturers recommended 8 weeks.

Yes I realized it is 16 weeks however that would appear to be down to lack of supply. 

Also was aware of the studies of effectiveness of cocktail vax. 

Why would they even do that.

Again I would suggest possible lack of supply of some vaccine and availability of Sinovac

14 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

He has no choice but to open, the gravity of the situation has sunk in.

the country is bankrupt-devastated.

sad for the Thai people.

And left a face saving loop hole where he can blame the people for not getting the jabs quick enough when the country dosnt open. A true politician passing the blame

28 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Thai "studies" will support whatever the regime tells them it supports.

One dose, half a dose, wave the vial around the head three times, 16 weeks, 1 year, cocktail of sputnik and sino-blech, whatever.

Around the head?  Clock wise or anti clockwise?

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I realized it is 16 weeks however that would appear to be down to lack of supply. 

Also was aware of the studies of effectiveness of cocktail vax. 

Why would they even do that.

Again I would suggest possible lack of supply of some vaccine and availability of Sinovac

No argument from me on all counts.

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Around the head?  Clock wise or anti clockwise?

Waiting for peer-review.

Control group became dizzy.

Thai researchers rotated the patient while holding the vial stationary.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, internationalism said:

that's why this country is called also Kalaland or Dreamland.

Problem with vax for locals - only with the first dose some 50% of population is expected to be done in October. They need to do almost 500k per day.

So far they are doing 100-200k per day

The main problem is shortage in vaccines due to the fact there are production problems.

Also Thais with extremely low full vaccination figures are in high danger to be infected by the Delta Variant from India. 

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Go ahead and open.  Most countries won't allow there citizens to travel to unvaccinated countries. 

The latest UK idea is to allow it's vaccinated citizens to travel to amber and green countries and return without quarantine requirements. I presume an amber country would be a well vaccinated one, but not certain of that.  Sad for the young folks, as they are just getting their first vaccinations now, and hence will not qualify until September after their second!

5 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

The main problem is shortage in vaccines due to the fact there are production problems.

Also Thais with extremely low full vaccination figures are in high danger to be infected by the Delta Variant from India. 

Production problems they will not tell anyone about at this point in time, and just the one statement 2 weeks ago.  One has to wonder if it is a issue with the finished product meeting standards, teething problems for a new lab, or just that they can not make what they promised.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The latest UK idea is to allow it's vaccinated citizens to travel to amber and green countries and return without quarantine requirements. I presume an amber country would be a well vaccinated one, but not certain of that.  Sad for the young folks, as they are just getting their first vaccinations now, and hence will not qualify until September after their second!

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure if you mean that the rules will change for amber countries but currently the rules are as follows on return to the England. Quarantine is required on return, albeit at home.

On arrival in England

On arrival in England you must:

• quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

When Thailand say "re-opening" in the time of Covid, they don't really mean re-opening, they mean re-imagining everything pre-covid with a new improved crippling layer of red tape.

What gains will be made "re-opening" will be nullified by the red-tape to be opening in the first place.

Then you'll have no-warning shut downs of inevitable clusters.

The daily U turn.

The dual pricing lurk.

The slim-rigged legal system, where Covid rules and breaches do not apply to the crew-cut crony club.

How's the "Great Sale 2021" campaign goin?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

120 days? 

Thai math again? A zero is missing. 

It's what the fortune teller told him yesterday.

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

PM tells us we can't wait for everyone to be vaccinated - after claiming that was possible by 1 Oct or 1 Jan (22) - and that have to take risks.

Of course he's fully vaccinated. With the good stuff (AZ/import varietal).

Way to lead herr general.

He, the entire cabinet and all their families and servants.

"Let them eat cake!"

4 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

"The country was ahead of target in securing 105.5 million doses of coronavirus vaccine for this year, and would seek more supplies next year, Prayuth said"

Given that inoculating 70% of the adult population is required. 105 million doses would surpass that, why would he need to seek more supplies next year?

They'll need supplies next year, and annually. We'll be getting vaccinated on an annual basis, like the 'flu jabs vulnerable people have.

3 hours ago, eggers said:

What an over ambitious target!!

AS for lumping excessive insurance on long term Expats, would do better to get the Vaccination program completed ASAP & avoid unnecessary expense for long term Expats!!

Wake up PM & all Gov't members!!

This misstatement about Covid insurance being required by long term expats, (retirees?) has been corrected, and an apology issued by the paper that cannot be named.

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I entered the checkpoint at Phuket yesterday by car with a colleague. We showed the Covid free test certificate that we used from bangkok Hospital when we left Phuket a few days earlier - it was valid. The officer, was very polite, took a cursory glance at the certificate, did not take our ID and did not cross reference that the certificate was actually ours .... 

We could have used an old cert, a bogus cert, some-one else's cert.

This sandbox is going to be disaster and so is opening up in 120 days.

It is almost like they have lost sight of their objects and are now tripling down on their efforts ......

This proves how utterly useless this scheme is really going to be. Just as all the so-called measures like temperature checks, QR ThaiChana, etc ad nauseam; we installed disinfectant mats at the entrances to our condo last week, despite there being no reliable evidence that Covid can be brought in on the soles of shoes. But the rest of my committee thought if it made residents "feel" safe, we should do it.

1 hour ago, bullseye66 said:

Do Thais think of you and put your interests first? Ever? No, thought not.

Yes, but not all Thais. But many I know personally show thoughtfulness and kindness, and it's a heartwarming experience in this time of hatred and distrust. I suspect it's the same the world over.

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Thailand is currently an amber country, (for entry to UK). Don't know how much longer that will last. 

Edited by samtam

13 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Not sure if you mean that the rules will change for amber countries but currently the rules are as follows on return to the England. Quarantine is required on return, albeit at home.

It is a new proposal hence a rule change.. but I was wondering what put which countries on which list. Obviously with 58% of adults having been double jabbed there are hopes holidays to most continental European countries will open up.

Sky News.

Edited by jacko45k

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

On arrival in England

On arrival in England you must:

• quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

From friends in London, the self-quarantine for 10 days is very lax. I can hardly see the point of it. You're allowed to stay with friends or family, even go grocery shopping, and attend to other essential needs.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

He has no choice but to open, the gravity of the situation has sunk in.

the country is bankrupt-devastated.

sad for the Thai people.

Yes; the country and its people who were apparently barely interested in Tourism as it 'wasn't that important to the economy ' !

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

You’re right, who do these people think they are! The Thai government or something?

and it’s not like every country on earth doesn’t have some kind of immigration regulations that need to be complied with.

you need to go off and find yourself on Mars.

but seriously, I mean it is really really funny, I haven’t heard a better one for years actually “breaking a law…… is of course illegal…..is not really criminal”. You totally nailed it there, I can’t stop laughing.

keep on going, you don’t even need a spade….

1) Yes of course Thailand has an absolute right to impose whatever immigration rules and control measures it may wish. As of course do those subject to those rules and measures have a right to criticise them.

2) There are as many definitions of criminal acts as there are dictionaries. The common thread is that a crime ( or criminal act,) results in physical harm, loss or damage to property or in some way breaks the moral boundaries of a society. It really is pushing it, in my opinion, to suggest that breaking immigration rules does any of those. Hence my suggestion that whilst breaking a law, it is illegal but not necessarily a criminal act.

Whilst I thought my original comment was actually quite simple, maybe this has clarified the point I make.

Anyway if that view qualifies as the funniest thing you have heard in years, be my guest; continue with your unbounded hilarity!

Edited by herfiehandbag

8 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

1) Yes of course Thailand has an absolute right to impose whatever immigration rules and control measures it may wish. As of course do those subject to those rules and measures have a right to criticise them.

2) There are as many definitions of criminal acts as there are dictionaries. The common thread is that a crime ( or criminal act,) results in physical harm, loss or damage to property or in some way breaks the moral boundaries of a society. It really is pushing it, in my opinion, to suggest that breaking immigration rules does any of those. Hence my suggestion that whilst breaking a law, it is illegal but not necessarily a criminal act.

Whilst I thought my original comment was actually quite simple, maybe this has clarified the point I make.

Anyway if that view qualifies as the funniest thing you have heard in years, be my guest; continue with your unbounded hilarity!

Will do ????.

don’t do anything I wouldn’t do….like getting deported ????????????????

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Yes; the country and its people who were apparently barely interested in Tourism as it 'wasn't that important to the economy ' !

The people who said that, whilst influential and well connected, had very little connection with tourism. However many of the customers for their businesses relied to a significant extent, directly or indirectly, on income generated by tourism. They do not have the money to spend that they did.

That must be concentrating some minds!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is a new proposal hence a rule change.. but I was wondering what put which countries on which list. Obviously with 58% of adults having been double jabbed there are hopes holidays to most continental European countries will open up.

Sky News.

Thanks, I didn’t know that was in the works.

this is what I found on determining the classifications. Per Which, 3rd June

“How will the government decide which countries go on the green, amber or red lists? Destinations have been assigned to each list based on a range of Covid-19 health metrics, including vaccination numbers, infection rates and prevalence of variants. “

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/06/travel-traffic-light-green-list-countries-where-holiday-abroad/ - Which?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

25 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The people who said that, whilst influential and well connected, had very little connection with tourism. However many of the customers for their businesses relied to a significant extent, directly or indirectly, on income generated by tourism. They do not have the money to spend that they did.

That must be concentrating some minds!

Yes, I agree. I've always thought the definition of tourism and the percentage of GDP of Thailand was very narrow; the ancillary and related businesses make up a much larger part of GDP in reality; and reality is just setting in. Also, as the global economy takes a hit from Covid, Thailand's other exports in the manufacturing sector including motor car assembly, take a hit from falling demand. Furthermore, a strong baht does not help these export industries.

How is the Thai Baht still holding strong despite the economic issues? I don't get it. 

The Baht has been way overpriced for years, I was hoping this would at least bring it down to reasonable levels but nope. 

16 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

My worry is the opposite. Just like the Phuket scheme (only open if 70% of population is vaccinated) the numbers will be fudged and it will be open in 120 days…..come what may. Although, he seems to indicate open in 120 days no matter what the situation may be at the time so fudging may not be necessary.

if so we will find out if those who say the virus should be ignored because the death rate is low and the economic cost is immense, are right or wrong.

ten million vaccinations a month is 333,000 per day, or five million people a month allowing for 2 doses each. I don’t know how many people he is aiming to get vaccinated, 70%, but 70% of what? Kids included, excluded? Foreigners included, excluded. Anyway,  at five million people per month, that’s likely to be 10 or 11 months to a finish.

I think that’s more than 120 days. So it seems vaccinations is not a metric he is using to determine whether to open.

I’m not too sure what he is talking about really, but it seems the balance is shifting heavily toward the “open and be damned” side of the equation.

He is talking about opening up in thailand afiter 1 shot local.

Stupid clowns got no idea how bad this could go.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jojothai said:

He is talking about opening up in thailand afiter 1 shot local.

Stupid clowns got no idea how bad this could go.

He's the ringmaster of this circus, how dare you question his stupidity. 

To be honest I wasn't really expecting that, a tad concerning for those of us who have a high risk from this virus, unless they mark the orders for the Moderna, Johnson & Johnson & Pfizer as very urgent there are going to be a hell of a lot of us older people not getting a shot of our choice until about the same time as the first tourists arrive, that maybe well and good for those of you that live in non touristy areas but here in Pattaya not such a joy.

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You are deluded.

Very few people on this planet are 100% healthy.

Many healthy people have died from Covid.

What sort of percentage of healthy people have died globally from this Chinese virus? What do you mean by many? How do you define healthy people?

People without any medical conditions, not overweight, take regular exercise, do not smoke, only drink moderately, never in the morning, and nowhere near every day.

I ask again, what percentage of people just described, have died globally from the Chinese virus?

You seem to know.

16 hours ago, connda said:

forced to wear a mask your entire stay

you've forgotten the GPS tracker on tourists wrist and all the QR codes to be scanned during your movements around , e.g. entering the restaurant, entering the pool area, entering the shop, etc., all possibly multiple times, using the Governments Mor Chana application, then Phukets own version, and whatever else they can think of.

• Like 1