Thailand targets reopening within 120 days as economy flounders

snoop1130

10 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I’m not too sure what he is talking about really, but it seems the balance is shifting heavily toward the “open and be damned” side of the equation.

To be fair, I don't think he is sure he knows what he is talking about either!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

a calculated risk needed to revive its troubled economy

I am asking myself, who „calculated“ that risk - Dr. Yong or Anutin ?

120 days? Instead being proud of what Thailand achieved, comparing their cumulative death rates, infections and number of positive tests to other countries,

another 120 days of not calculated risk for economy and prosperity ?

With their numbers, other countries already opened up and stopped wearing masks.

Take a look at the US: only 3 of all States not opening up and still stuck in Covid measures.

23 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Broke the law, but not criminals.

Hmm, ok, I’m going to just leave it there.

Breaking a law, one which essentially sets a framework of arbitrary regulations whose purposes are often unclear, and which seem often primarily to exist to feed the self importance of officialdom, is of course illegal, may be regarded as reprehensible, but is not really criminal.

Maybe, if this leader would get in the Pfizer and Moderna as well, so people could have those vaccines as 

choices as well as the AZ and Chinese vaccine, more people would and could get vaccinated.  Has this PM. ness

thought of that?  Just wondering.

Geezer

These articles stink with lies, offer some comedy relief and a lot of heartache for those already suffering again. But hey be optimistic, only around 4 more months of this...... then you may just see half a ray of sunshine.

These homemade vaccines, where are they made? In a lao khao lab? Certainly seems so as all the heads in charge have been vaccinated and that's what they are acting like

Edited by skorp13

Go ahead and open.  Most countries won't allow there citizens to travel to unvaccinated countries. 

Also, Sinovac isn't recognized in most first world countries and  isn't going to be much good for Thais wanting to do business overseas and enter foreign countries if thats in there "COVID-19 passport".

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Prayuth urged the public to get vaccinated as fast as possible and said the reopening target could only be met if the vaccines are delivered according to the committed schedules

And what a schedule its been so far apart from yours of course????

Been to Hua Hin hospital 3 times , no vaccine. Now I have been told to ring them every week to see if they have any vaccine.

What an over ambitious target!!

AS for lumping excessive insurance on long term Expats, would do better to get the Vaccination program completed ASAP & avoid unnecessary expense for long term Expats!!

Wake up PM & all Gov't members!!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

PM aims to fully reopen Thailand in 4 months

PM_120-days_web.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declared today (Wednesday) that Thailand will fully reopen its borders within four months, as the country is to begin welcoming fully vaccinated foreign tourists, starting with the southern resort island of Phuket on July 1st.

“The time has now come for us to look ahead and set the date on which we can fully open our country and start welcoming visitors, because it is one of the important ways by which we can start to reduce the enormous suffering of people who have lost their incomes,” said Mr. Prayut in a televised address.

“I know this decision comes with some risks because, when we open the country, there will be an increase in infections, no matter how good our precautions may be, but I think, when we consider the economic needs of people, the time has now come for us to take a calculated risk. The priorities for our country must now advance to the next level,” he added.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-aims-to-fully-reopen-thailand-in-4-months/

Logo-top-.png

First Thailand announces that it will open in 120 days.
Then the PM announces that it will open in 4 months.

Now that it's been announced twice using ever so slightly modified wordage, maybe it will take twice as long.

12 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

He has no choice but to open, the gravity of the situation has sunk in.

the country is bankrupt-devastated.

sad for the Thai people.

Yet a couple of years ago they were saying tourism only accounted for a minute amount of the GDP. And they were turning bonafide tourists away for coming too often. 

• Like 2

Lets face it,even if they opened up,would other countrys allow free travel to here,would anyone come,as my daughter said we wouldnt fly there for a holiday,but to see you. 

By the way if the country is so broke,why is the baht so strong still?

Edited by bert bloggs

56 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Let me guess: you never got a RT-PCR test and never did an antibody test, but you are sure you had Covid.

Mai pen rai, even if you did have Covid, you have no antibodies to protect against the latest variants.

Thats where you are wrong.

Healthy people have a solid immune system and their T Cell's kill the virus.

They dont need to develop any antibodies. 

Antibodies are a second line of defence if your T cells dont kill the virus.

The immune system is multi-pronged.......it has many ways of working, but the last resort is to generate anti-bodies.

This is why only those who are very sick with Covid will actually develop antibodies.   

Try reading up on this.

What is the role of T cells in COVID-19 infection? Why immunity is about more than antibodies - The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (cebm.net)

• Like 1

Say isn't 4 months happening , in October, at the start of the usual High Season?

How convenient, the leader wants the country open for High Season, but he just won't come out and

say that.  Honesty in most governments is fleeting.

Geezer

58 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are deluded.

Very few people on this planet are 100% healthy.

Many healthy people have died from Covid.

Not from what I have seen.

All the people I know who had Covid all recovered fine, no hospital.

Hundreds of millions of people have recovered from Covid without any issues.

Healthy means healthy...........means not obese, not an armchair sitting beer swilling lazy git, not a diabetic, not any underlying illness, not a drug user...........healthy means fit, healthy, eats well, not overweight, not sick, regular exercise.

How many athletes or sports people do you know who died of Covid ?  Strange that its none eh ???????

The world is full of overweight lazy people now......too much alcohol, too much bad food...........too overweight........and then they wonder why they get sick ????? LOL

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I entered the checkpoint at Phuket yesterday by car with a colleague. We showed the Covid free test certificate that we used from bangkok Hospital when we left Phuket a few days earlier - it was valid. The officer, was very polite, took a cursory glance at the certificate, did not take our ID and did not cross reference that the certificate was actually ours .... 

We could have used an old cert, a bogus cert, some-one else's cert.

This sandbox is going to be disaster and so is opening up in 120 days.

It is almost like they have lost sight of their objects and are now tripling down on their efforts ......

On problem they have NOT mentioned/overcome, is that, according to a Chinese researcher, who may, or may not, have "disappeared," has stated, publicly, that Sinovac is only 50% effective, which means 50% non effective. So, do the sums.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, grain said:

Yet a couple of years ago they were saying tourism only accounted for a minute amount of the GDP. And they were turning bonafide tourists away for coming too often. 

Thailand has plenty of money in reserve. But will they use it.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

If enough people are vaccinated, there won’t be very many variants. Because there is a mix of vaccines, it will be difficult for a variant to defeat all of them

Where did this brain flash come from.

Just a dream or have some data

• Haha 1