Thailand reports 3,129 new COVID-19 cases, 30 more deaths

webfact

COVID17a.jpg
Reuters file photo: People receive the first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in Bangkok, Thailand, Jun 7, 2021. Photo: Reuters/Soe Zeya Tun

Thailand on Thursday (June 17) reported 3,129 new COVID-19 cases and 30 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 2,672 new infections
● 457 prison / prison infections

● Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 207,724 with 1,555 deaths.
(Total infections since April 1: 178,861)

The news comes as Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declared Wednesday that Thailand will fully reopen its borders within four months, as the country is to begin welcoming fully vaccinated foreign tourists, starting with the southern resort island of Phuket on July 1st.

• Sad 1

The increase to 2600 community infections was predicted by the recent increase in hospital walk-in cases.

If you watch the numbers for walk-in cases,  they will provide an insight into near term infection numbers.  

This is based on the premise that the government tests contacts of positive cases, and thus can uncover clusters. They don’t test where there are no contacts. 

13 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sorry those numbers are way above the reporting threshold so you probably won't see them.

It doesn’t matter - if hospital walk-in cases reach 2500+ cases a day, everyone will know that community infections are far higher.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

Delta variant...........

You will see how ineffective the Sinovac vaccine is in due course I believe.  Prepare for 3000 and 4000 and 5000 cases daily before too many more weeks pass.

i definitely agree with you point.

they will never increase testing from current levels and so if we see those sort of numbers it means the infection rate is climbing. Testing numbers will stay the same (no up to date data available but seems to be in the 20k to 30k per day range)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

As a prison visitor for many years, I am concerned at the continuing high numbers of infections in the jails. It seems that no effort whatsoever is being made to thwart its spread. I would also like very much, given the prison numbers are reported separately to the country, to know the fatality numbers, which I suspect will be disproportionately high to the rest of the population.

See this article.

Vaccination in prisons

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I wonder how unwell the folk are feeling that causes them to report to a hospital.

I also wonder how many try and 'wait it out' at home.

I realize this may sound like a crazy comment however I'm not sure what I would do if I had symptoms. 

You are correct. A certain percent won’t go to the hospital, even if they are sick.

What you forget is that we are dealing with large numbers. So, if X% won’t go to the hospital under any condition, if reported walk-in cases double, we know that the number of community infections likely has doubled.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, itsari said:

Testing is the issue for the number of cases found in Thailand . 

You mean the lack of testing is the issue for the low numbers.  I do agree with that sentiment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are correct. A certain percent won’t go to the hospital, even if they are sick.

What you forget is that we are dealing with large numbers. So, if X% won’t go to the hospital under any condition, if reported walk-in cases double, we know that the number of community infections likely has doubled.

Think you missed my point. 

It's the X% number that is critical. 

• Like 2