Phuket Sandbox scheme only available to international tourists

webfact

9 hours ago, kimamey said:

No vaccine is 100% effective at preventing illness from a virus or transmission. Expecting that just isn't sensible and wouldn't work.

Exactly.  So the theory behind the sandbox is flawed.

6 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

Pfizer vaccine is 99.97% efficient 

..... at preventing illness - but still not known if a vaccinated person could be an asymptomatic carrier.

Unless 70% of the total population of Thailand is fully vaccinated (not just Phuket) this scheme is not logical.

And it looks like the ideal route for new variants to enter the country - perhaps the new Moscow variant.

Just open up fully and go for natural herd immunity, or shut down fully, not this unscientific fudge.

1 hour ago, Albert Zweistein said:

She is allowed to enter Thailand but not via Phuket.

On further reading, I also would be excluded as an "expat" holding a retirement visa.

So unless anything changes, the scheme is of no use to us, and it's back to the drawing board.

Plan B is to go to Georgia and hang out there for a while until all this crazyness ends. Might end up being cheaper as well!

9 hours ago, John435 said:

I’m fairly sure that most of the people holding out for this scheme were Thai residents trying to get back into the country without spending 2 weeks in a hotel room. Holiday makers surely looked elsewhere by now, maybe for places where they don’t have to do this:

1    Supply proof of vaccine
    2    Apply for visa
    3    Complete COE registration
    4    Covid insurance of at least 100,000 dollars
    5    Register SHA+ hotel (which will be overpriced)
    6    Arrange flight directly to Phuket (which will be overpriced)
    7    PCR test 72 hours before I leave UK
    8    Possible PCR test on arrival
    9    Load up tracking app on phone
    10    Wristband to track my every move
    11    Two PCR tests during my 14 day stay on Island (at my own cost)
    12    Entertainment venues closed
    13    Tracked by facial recognition
    14    Large fines for breaking rules (not sure what they are but will try to mindread when I get there)
    15    Unable to visit other islands, (Phi Phi, Coral etc)
    16    Wear mask at all times (Even when I am asleep on the beach??)
    17    No alcohol on beach.
    18    No alcohol with my meal
    19    10 day quarantine on arrival in UK

(Credit to previous ThaiVisa poster for this depressing list)

So if residents can’t enter via Phuket, who actually will visit?

Your welcome ????

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

This astounding news.  The only logic behind it could that owners of quarantine hotels in Bangkok, who have paid good money to be on the list, don't want to lose the business of wealthy Thai returness to Phuket hotels.  Since there is going to be hardly any demand from foreign tourists, Thais and local residents allowed to spend two weeks in the Phuket sandbox instead of being quarantined in Bangkok would make the project more viable.  Chinese are not allowed to come to Thailand and the UK and many other European and Asian countries require travellers returning from Thailand to quarantine.  Why would you want to come in the rainy season and wear a parolee's electronic bracelet when most bars, tours etc are closed?  This is one of the most insane ideas yet.  To kill off demand from the most motivated customers who have to come to Thailand. 

A friend, who is a PR, is trying to get back and booked flight and hotel for the Phuket sandbox only to read this BS this morning. 

Absolutely. I've managed to get 4 weeks off work. If they had stuck to the original 7 days / requirements I would probably take the time to work my way through the red tape to see my wife but there's no way I am going to pay to be treated like a criminal for two weeks.

1 hour ago, Chill27 said:

On further reading, I also would be excluded as an "expat" holding a retirement visa.

So unless anything changes, the scheme is of no use to us, and it's back to the drawing board.

Plan B is to go to Georgia and hang out there for a while until all this crazyness ends. Might end up being cheaper as well!

If you are waiting for the craziness to end you might be spending the rest of your life in Georgia!

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Exactly.  So the theory behind the sandbox is flawed.

No. If the theory behind vaccines were that they need to be 100% effective then vaccines would be pointless since they are never 100% in any country.

The theory is that you vaccinate a certain percentage of people. You can't vaccinate them all as some will have contraindications that prevent it. The people who are vaccinated are less likely to die and less likely to pass it on. This in turn makes it less likely that those who can't be vaccinated and so are vulnerable will catch it and possibly die.

We don't get rid of doctors or seatbelts or helmets or safety checks on aircraft because they aren't 100% effective. It's a case of lessening the risk.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chill27 said:

I'm not sure. I'm not sure what your thinking is but if it's that you're not a tourist then logically you would be excluded but I'm not sure this is what it means. I've often entered as a tourist before without any problem even though I've said I'm here to see my wife. I'm guessing this is what will happen but it would be nice to be sure.