Phuket Sandbox scheme only available to international tourists

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Also last week, Thailand’s Minister for Tourism and Sports said that around 29,000 people who had said they would  visit Phuket have now cancelled their plans

They have in uneasy relationship with the truth at the best of times and that number of 29k cancelled already comes across as inordinately high to start with .. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomyami said:

Think UK and EU will spend there money in the med or canaries bars open no writ bands maybe 1 test no excessive airline required documentation, COE Insurance, prebooked accomodation.

On arrival being herded around like lepers nah dream on....

There won't be many Europeans coming to LOS. It'll all be between Israel and Portugal/Canaries.

Greece seems to be thriving.

It is only really interesting for long stayers, if at all.

Having said that, I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

There's two big assumptions for this scheme:

1. Vaccination is 100% effective at preventing spread.

2. Other countries will risk rate Phuket differently to the rest of Thailand to avoid the need for quarantine on return to the tourist's home countries.

Personally I think the scheme is phuket.

No vaccine is 100% effective at preventing illness from a virus or transmission. Expecting that just isn't sensible and wouldn't work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

They have in uneasy relationship with the truth at the best of times and that number of 29k cancelled already comes across as inordinately high to start with .. 

I was surprised at all the TV veteran's that bought into that nonsense. Just the tourism minister firing back after his job became twice as hard. 

• Like 1

On Tuesday Thaivisa member NCC1701A posted the image I hope I've managed to attach and was current as of the 14th apparently. That seems to have changed already. At the time I asked whether the term "tourist" was going to be strictly applied as it would stop people like me who are trying to get home. I've assumed it isn't strict but I'm not sure.

This seems to suggest Thais are less of a risk as the requirements don't appear so strict but now they're being excluded.

Never mind it'll probably have changed by tomorrow anyway.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by kimamey

This astounding news.  The only logic behind it could that owners of quarantine hotels in Bangkok, who have paid good money to be on the list, don't want to lose the business of wealthy Thai returness to Phuket hotels.  Since there is going to be hardly any demand from foreign tourists, Thais and local residents allowed to spend two weeks in the Phuket sandbox instead of being quarantined in Bangkok would make the project more viable.  Chinese are not allowed to come to Thailand and the UK and many other European and Asian countries require travellers returning from Thailand to quarantine.  Why would you want to come in the rainy season and wear a parolee's electronic bracelet when most bars, tours etc are closed?  This is one of the most insane ideas yet.  To kill off demand from the most motivated customers who have to come to Thailand. 

A friend, who is a PR, is trying to get back and booked flight and hotel for the Phuket sandbox only to read this BS this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm waiting to return to Thailand from the UK with my Thai Girlfriend and she has to leave the UK by 10th August.

We were going to use the Sandbox scheme, now this news!

So what are they saying here? If we fly to Phuket together, I'll be admitted, but she, a fully vaccinated Thai, will not.

How can they prevent a Thai from entering Thailand?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John435 said:

I’m fairly sure that most of the people holding out for this scheme were Thai residents trying to get back into the country without spending 2 weeks in a hotel room. Holiday makers surely looked elsewhere by now, maybe for places where they don’t have to do this:

1    Supply proof of vaccine
    2    Apply for visa
    3    Complete COE registration
    4    Covid insurance of at least 100,000 dollars
    5    Register SHA+ hotel (which will be overpriced)
    6    Arrange flight directly to Phuket (which will be overpriced)
    7    PCR test 72 hours before I leave UK
    8    Possible PCR test on arrival
    9    Load up tracking app on phone
    10    Wristband to track my every move
    11    Two PCR tests during my 14 day stay on Island (at my own cost)
    12    Entertainment venues closed
    13    Tracked by facial recognition
    14    Large fines for breaking rules (not sure what they are but will try to mindread when I get there)
    15    Unable to visit other islands, (Phi Phi, Coral etc)
    16    Wear mask at all times (Even when I am asleep on the beach??)
    17    No alcohol on beach.
    18    No alcohol with my meal
    19    10 day quarantine on arrival in UK

(Credit to previous ThaiVisa poster for this depressing list)

So if residents can’t enter via Phuket, who actually will visit?

You forgot to mention the possibility of them being locked up in a Covid field hospital with no air con or private room, if the tested positive.  Or else forced into a private and overpriced hospital.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

I'm waiting to return to Thailand from the UK with my Thai Girlfriend and she has to leave the UK by 10th August.

So what are they saying here? If we fly to Phuket together, I'll be admitted, but she, a fully vaccinated Thai, will not.

Well technically she can enter but has to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days wherever she enters so they aren't preventing her from entering Thailand, just making it more difficult but I take your point. It doesn't make much sense but then is that what this means and how long will this plan last?

I would wait a bit to see how things go as if the measures put enough people off entering Phuket hopefully the infection rate will drop and the tourism trade will stay at the edge of collapse at which point the government will "make some improvements". 

Good luck

43 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

She is allowed to enter Thailand but not via Phuket.

5 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

Pfizer vaccine is 99.97% efficient 

I'm not sure where you got that figure as the ones I've seen are around 90% but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't to that level depending on the situation. The problem is there are many different factors involved. The effectiveness will depend on whether you're looking at avoiding infection, hospitalisation mild symptoms, serious illness, long term symptoms or even death. It's quite possible that those figures might be achieved in certain circumstances but it still won't be 100% as vaccines never are. None are anywhere near 100% in terms of stopping transmission which was the point mentioned in the post I was replying to but then they don't need to be.  They won't stop the virus but they can reduce it's transmissibility and serious health effects which is all that's needed.

5 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

She is allowed to enter Thailand but not via Phuket.

I think she can enter via Phuket but the sandbox scheme won't apply to her so she'll have to undergo the hotel quarantine. Doesn't make much sense does it?