Advice on rat problems

Kenny202

On 6/17/2021 at 7:09 PM, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

I am having a problem but thank God not rats, mine is mice in the eaves of the roof and the roof void.

Now we already have the large Gecko species that have adopted the loft for themselves. 

My handyman actually removed  Gecko eggs the other day as we don't want to be overrun with them either.

We could hear the Geckos and claws scraping the ceiling late night chasing mice and then it would stop.

We have laid traps and bait and are catching them. It's this year more than any other we are having this problem.

I have told them as well to block any small holes with wire wool. We live in a rural area and we have many fruit trees. So, plenty of squirrels etc

I am looking for something to deter them and put them off altogether from coming here. With it being a roof void and our dogs are nowhere near, I can adopt any sensible deterrent.

We have never had any problems inside the houses with vermin.

Get one of those "Jump Start" battery devices with the strobe light feature. Fully charge and switch on the strobe then hange in the loft, two days and mice, gecko's and rats are gone.

• Like 1

There are some really strong metal snap rat traps you can buy down in the back streets of Chinatown ,  they are strong enough to take your finger off ,  they must have big rats down by the river !

also they have the metal cage traps  ,  used one last night to catch a young possum and we relocated it today up by Beverly Hills !

i have not heard of the strobe light idea , what does it do to  them and why do they not just come back when you stop using it ?

I have heard of using wall plaster and oatmeal  as bait and keeping a bowl of water  nearby , they drink the water and the plaster  hardens.......

My Rats do not like peanut butter unless i have the wrong brand !

Good Luck

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:24 PM, Kenny202 said:

Apart from using poison I was hoping maybe an old skool deterrent sprayed on the floor at night...vinegar, soapy water something like that they don't like. There are actually lots of stray cats in the area but probably rats are bigger lol. If it ws a bigger room I'd throw a Jack Russel in there clean em up in a night 

Maybe I should loan you one of my four, nothing unwanted lives long in our place, rats, mice, snakes, stray cats etc.

• Haha 1

Guys,

I have all the traps up there already with local poison which has been successful and the noise of scurrying has stopped. The scurrying was the Big Geckos.

However, I have ordered the spray from Lazada ( 5 bottles) that one of you posted and that arrives anytime now and I will spray both the loft thoroughly and my under my car bonnet.

My car has only been a victim twice in two year as the dogs sleep around and under the car at night.One time the vermin ate through the air con filter.

It is a bit difficult when we live rural to stop this, and as I said before, we have a full ' larder ' with a load of rich fruit producing trees.

I will check out the strobe light idea, (I have never heard about it before) and then if I have spray, traps and strobe, hopefully that should do the trick.

Old Thai house and occasionally had small rats/mice inside or in the roof. Sticky traps used to work for the smaller ones. Used poison once but they died in the roof and smelled quite bad for a few days. We were adopted by a cat 3 years ago and few problems after that. House is now modernised and entry or hiding places few, so haven't seen one inside since finished.

We have a shop (with lots of food) accessible from outside so occasionally get rats. Solution is move the cats food into the shop at night, problem solved in a day or two.

My wife ended up spraying the floor with alcohol every night since and no sign of rats anymore. Not sure if the initial dose of poison did them in or the alcohol itself actually is keeping them away but very happy. Thanks for all the advice and ideas

On 6/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Crossy said:

We have been adopted by a cat (actually she brought her boyfriend too).

Evidently we have the juiciest, tastiest rats in the area.

A small amount of cat food along with water to keep kitty interested (sometimes she doesn't bother with the cat food, rats must be better), not seen a rat for weeks.

really ,     I have a video to prove that the cats are more scared of the rats in Bangkok I have actually seen them eating together from the black bin liners on Khao san Road at 5 a.m. in the morning .

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

really ,     I have a video to prove that the cats are more scared of the rats in Bangkok I have actually seen them eating together from the black bin liners on Khao san Road at 5 a.m. in the morning .

Really?  What on earth would you be doing on Khao San Rd at 5am...........Bad man 555

• Like 1

Mate  bought a new pickup, parked in  his car port, within a fortnight rats had eaten out    most of the cars wiring.      Luckily his insurance  paid for repair.        As  others have said, and I told him, put   moth balls (camphor)    in his engine compartment . He did,   no more rats came.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:24 PM, Kenny202 said:

Apart from using poison I was hoping maybe an old skool deterrent sprayed on the floor at night...vinegar, soapy water something like that they don't like. There are actually lots of stray cats in the area but probably rats are bigger lol. If it ws a bigger room I'd throw a Jack Russel in there clean em up in a night 

Jack Russel best farm rat catcher of them all

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Jack Russel best farm rat catcher of them all

Well I will give you that, I just rehomed mine...we never had any rats but as lovely a little dog as he was he was just in turbo mode all the time. No good as a house pet. He has actually gone to a farm so I am sure anything that moves there will have their days numbered lol

13 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Well I will give you that, I just rehomed mine...we never had any rats but as lovely a little dog as he was he was just in turbo mode all the time. No good as a house pet. He has actually gone to a farm so I am sure anything that moves there will have their days numbered lol

Sorry to hear you had to give your dog away, yes Jack Russels need to be kept busy.