Advice on rat problems

Kenny202

Wife has a lockable corrugated garden shed type thing about 2m x 3m. getting rats in and it would be practically impossible to seal effectively. She has everything up on racks, in sealed tubs etc but they are still coming in. They don't appear to be getting into anything and there is nothing there for them to eat or take back to their nest so not sure what the attraction is. there is definitely no nest in the room. But they are crapping everywhere. There is food in there but in a sealed fridge no way they can get to that. The area has lots of restaurants and shops and underground waterways so would be a gazillion rats there and no way to kill them all. The floor is spotless. I have ordered some bait stations. Is there a particular type of bait best to use? Preferably the one they eat and take back to the nest and kill the lot of them. I was also wondering if there was something we could spray on the cement floor of a night maybe deter them? Preferably not diesel or something smelly lol. Any advice appreciated

• Haha 1

Guys,

I am having a problem but thank God not rats, mine is mice in the eaves of the roof and the roof void.

Now we already have the large Gecko species that have adopted the loft for themselves. 

My handyman actually removed  Gecko eggs the other day as we don't want to be overrun with them either.

We could hear the Geckos and claws scraping the ceiling late night chasing mice and then it would stop.

We have laid traps and bait and are catching them. It's this year more than any other we are having this problem.

I have told them as well to block any small holes with wire wool. We live in a rural area and we have many fruit trees. So, plenty of squirrels etc

I am looking for something to deter them and put them off altogether from coming here. With it being a roof void and our dogs are nowhere near, I can adopt any sensible deterrent.

We have never had any problems inside the houses with vermin.

• Sad 1

I got this spray called P Power on Lazada. I was having a problem with rats chewing rubber and plastic on my truck. I spray this under the bonnet every 3-4 weeks. No more rats.

I reckon if you spray it around your shed, it should do the trick.

Edited by jaiyenyen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from using poison I was hoping maybe an old skool deterrent sprayed on the floor at night...vinegar, soapy water something like that they don't like. There are actually lots of stray cats in the area but probably rats are bigger lol. If it ws a bigger room I'd throw a Jack Russel in there clean em up in a night 

Traps better than poison.

With poison the rat will likely die in an inaccessible place and there will be a bad smell for a couple of weeks.

Spring loaded traps bring almost instant death and you can retrieve the dead rat and dispose of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Traps better than poison.

With poison the rat will likely die in an inaccessible place and there will be a bad smell for a couple of weeks.

Spring loaded traps bring almost instant death and you can retrieve the dead rat and dispose of it.

The idea of poison is they take it back to the nest and it kills the lot of them. As the other guy said it makes them haemorage and go to water. By the looks of it there'd be at least 10 rats there in the night and a million more to take their place. The traps they sell here with the trap doors the best. Simply put it in a bucket of water after catching them. Guy was telling me tonight probably because of the recent heavy rain. Maybe their nest was flooded out 

Edited by Kenny202

17 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Try some glue traps. I found them to be very effective. You can get them from local market/hardware stores. Cheap and effective in my experience. Cost around 20 baht each.

Here in the U.S. I had a few mice.  Got one in the upstairs kitchen with a conventional spring trap.  Also got some glue traps.  Put a couple glue traps in the kitchen and some in the enclosed garage downstairs where we have a stove/oven for smelly stuff. 

Downstairs, I got 2 mice with the sticky traps.  Upstairs we had a real problem with pantry moths.  Those glue traps (with some sort of little bait thingie in the middle) got a couple dozen of those moths and I haven't seen any lately.  But a glue trap is a slow death for a mouse.  I had to drown one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

I got this spray called P Power on Lazada. I was having a problem with rats chewing rubber and plastic on my truck. I spray this under the bonnet every 3-4 weeks. No more rats.

I reckon if you spray it around your shed, it should do the trick.

Thanks,

Ordered five bottles online already, Try it  for car as well as the loft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Try some glue traps. I found them to be very effective. You can get them from local market/hardware stores. Cheap and effective in my experience. Cost around 20 baht each.

glue trap.jpg

Make sure you put the glue traps under something low like a low shelf or something to stop anything else sticking to it.

I tried shaving the wife's cat years ago that managed to completely stick itself to one of these from head to toe.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Hideous and unnecessary way to kill something.

I hold my hands up and agree that it is not the most humane way to deal with the problem, but conventional (spring) traps failed and this was the last resort.

7 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes, thats goes without saying.

I would imagine shaving the wife's cat could be quite a pleasurable experience. Think about it.

I should have said "ex-wife".

There are some pussys I'd rather forget.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I hold my hands up and agree that it is not the most humane way to deal with the problem, but conventional (spring) traps failed and this was the last resort.

Like I said, mothballs won't kill rats, but they certainly deter their movements inside a house. Pretty sure the mothballs deter other creatures as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

The idea of poison is they take it back to the nest and it kills the lot of them. As the other guy said it makes them haemorage and go to water. By the looks of it there'd be at least 10 rats there in the night and a million more to take their place. The traps they sell here with the trap doors the best. Simply put it in a bucket of water after catching them. Guy was telling me tonight probably because of the recent heavy rain. Maybe their nest was flooded out 

Found no need for them taking poison to the nest.... Use for years the rat cage, when the Mother goes in for food, next day or so the young ones + babies come out looking for food and die simple to sweep them up..

Got the big male the night before  + this morning was a big female in the cage

Joys of living out in the sticks, no different than when I lived in the UK or that matter Portugal, lots of Rat and mice.

With mice I found they wouldn't go near poison, glue or humane traps.

Unfortunately, the only thing that worked was snap traps baited with peanut butter and blocking off their entry points so they couldn't get back in again.

Edited by katana

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Like I said, mothballs won't kill rats, but they certainly deter their movements inside a house. Pretty sure the mothballs deter other creatures as well.

OK Thanks. wasn't aware that M/B were a deterrent.

Whilst I have no love of rats, surely it's better to use a method that deters the rats from your home. Using traps, whatever kind leaves, you to deal with either the dead rat or release the live rat (Maybe to return later). Also the traps might catch other small animals that are not a pest.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:09 PM, Scouse123 said:

We could hear the Geckos and claws scraping the ceiling late night chasing mice and then it would stop.

Creepy.

We had bats.  We hired a few locals and somehow got them to move out to someone elses house in the village.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, Crossy said:

We have been adopted by a cat (actually she brought her boyfriend too).

Evidently we have the juiciest, tastiest rats in the area.

A small amount of cat food along with water to keep kitty interested (sometimes she doesn't bother with the cat food, rats must be better), not seen a rat for weeks.

I second that. Best advice. We had a mice problem. Since I got a cat the mice are gone. We only get a few visitors in the rainy season now but they are dealt with quickly by my cat.

That anticoagulant poison is the way to go.   The trap method is like fighting ants by squishing them one at a time.   There are probably 5x or 10x more rodents that you don't see.   The trap thing works if you happen to live in a sealed biome and you're just trying catch a mouse you accidentally let in.