Americans, what are must bring items to Thailand?

Guest TerryS123

Tech wise computers and phones seem to be more expensive in Thailand. I always buy my phones and computers in the States better deals and more updated models. Clothes seem to be better quality in the states as well. Some clothes in Thailand after 2 washes they seem to fall apart. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good quality,  well priced, not ugly CLOTHES that fit the average large sized American.

Decent fresh Sichuan peppercorns.

On my wife's trips back to Thailand from the USA, she would always take back a lot of clothes for the relatives.  Good quality stuff (she was a seamstress in Thailand)  bought cheap.  Much was from Vietnam. Export quality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

For some reason shaving cream and sunscreen can be rather expensive in LOS.  For example Edge Gel shaving cream is between $2 and $3 dollars in the US.  At the local supermarket a similar product goes for almost 300 Baht($9).  A few cans from Wal Mart could save you some money.  Also, if you like to wear hiking shoes or boots a good pair would be much cheaper in anywhere in the US.  

... and then lose them to some overzealous Airport XRay baggage checks stopping all  aerosols on 'planes...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wars said:

Tech wise computers and phones seem to be more expensive in Thailand. I always buy my phones and computers in the States better deals and more updated models.

Cameras & lenses also. Laptops, phones, cameras, all bought in the US, will save you a good amount.  Or keep a running tab on items like this and pick up when you go back to the US for a visit - assuming you do. 

-- I buy a big 50 odd disposable razor unit from Costco when I am back. Never brought shaving cream for reasons stated above.

imageService.jpg

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

Non aerosol deep woods Mosquito Repellent ! 25 percent deet ! Make sure you tighten the bottle caps and stick them in a zip lock bag to prevent leaking in your checked baggage !

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Computer keyboards and notebook computers with English font only keyboards. no have here.

any notebook computer you buy at say Cost Co or Best Buy or Dell will be FAR less than Thailand and better specs. 

Not only a better value, but you can be assured that the copy of Windows installed is genuine, as opposed to the pirated or dodgy variants that are sometimes installed by sellers in Thailand.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

My little home workshop is stocked with Snap-on and Milwaukee gear all purchased locally.

what good quality tools are not available here ?

Depends upon where in Thailand you live.  In rural areas, when your only local options are Tesco Lotus and Big C and you need something quickly, you're not going to find any quality tools. Its been a few years since I've been in a HomePro or HomeWorks, but at the time their hand tools were mostly Chinese produced junk.

4 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Depends upon where in Thailand you live.  In rural areas, when your only local options are Tesco Lotus and Big C and you need something quickly, you're not going to find any quality tools. Its been a few years since I've been in a HomePro or HomeWorks, but at the time their hand tools were mostly Chinese produced junk.

I purchased online and had delivered.

Do rural area's not have postal or courier services ?

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I purchased online and had delivered.

Do rural area's not have postal or courier services ?

Buying tools online is fine to build up a workshop over time, but not helpful when something critical beaks in your home and you need the proper tool to fix it NOW.

3 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Buying tools online is fine to build up a workshop over time, but not helpful when something critical beaks in your home and you need the proper tool to fix it NOW.

Ohhh.

Your are talking home maintainance tools.

my bad.

• Like 1

Name brand or better quality, better fitting clothes, shoes (trainers, trekking shoes, motorcycle boots), and underwear. They either can't be found here or are of lesser quality or are much more expensive. Avoid prohibitive shipping costs from the USA.

Vitamins & supplements. Eventually you'll order from iHerb, but you can have a good supply to start.

Aftershave, cologne, perfume, witch hazel. More expensive in Thailand or selection poor. Most vendors abroad won't ship liquids.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Computer keyboards and notebook computers with English font only keyboards. no have here.

any notebook computer you buy at say Cost Co or Best Buy or Dell will be FAR less than Thailand and getter specs. 

Don't know why the notebook computers are more expensive here. 

Tissues. So when you are crying about being an American in an foreign country yet not getting vaccinated by your government at your local embassy you will have something with which to mop up the river of tears.

Great pictures of white socks  and sandals. And yes I hardly ever wear socks over here, BUT. If you run, jog, walk, hike, play sports, etc., likely you will have a pair of trainers, tennis shoes, sports shoes, whatever you want to call them. You will want to have socks for those. I would suggest a lightweight, synth or merino wool, thin athletic/hiking sock.  Chances are they will be hard or impossible to find in Thailand.

Bring an international drivers permit, pereferably with the car + motorcycle stamp from your home state.  I got one from AAA in california for $20. It lets you skip a few steps in the process of getting a Thai driver license when you arrive here.   All of the other items that people post here are good ideas too.  Most things can be found online at potentially higher prices than than in USA.  But things like ID cards, other important documents from home are not easily bought online.  Bring originals and copies of whatever you can.  If you are planning to work in Thailand, bring university transcripts too.  Easier to request originals delivered to US address, then hand carry with you.

• Like 1