Americans, what are must bring items to Thailand?

Guest TerryS123

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, I would go along with that, in about 3 of the pairs, the zips in the pockets are faulty, but you can still open and shut them ok.

The zippers are generally steel instead of copper alloys, and are non-licking with small teeth, so they jam and rust easily. Candle wax helps a lot. I put it on my shoe and boot laces too to reduce wear. The relentless drive to cut fractions of a baht off manufacturing cost dooms too many goods to an early trip to the trash bin. Cheap is nearly always cheap regardless of the ubiquitous "buy one get one free" offers that make so many Thai hearts go pitty-pat.

As long as we're at it I will state flatly that good quality non-rusting stainless steel simply does not exist in Thailand. Beware of nickle-coated steel masquerading as stainless steel. Again, no real alternatives available. TIT

• Thanks 1

Lots of good replies on this topic.  Things like clothes, i.e.  socks, underwear. large size shirts and pants shoes especially if you wear size 10 or larger.  Also boots and outdoor equipment.  If you are into rock climbing then a full set of hardware and rope.  Quality bicycles are a lot cheaper in the USA whether they are road, mountain, or gravel.  Scuba gear is also expensive in Thailand so bring what you need.

7 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

?????? I buy Chilli beans every week in Makro ( 69Thb ) and spices in Foodmart ......

Those chilli beans aren't bad but it is not chilli con carne.

I just happen to be making a batch in a slow cooker right now.

No description available.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:36 AM, DFPhuket said:

I'm a pretty normal sized guy but I agree that it's a lot easier to find properly fitting clothes in the US than in Thailand. Here are some other things to consider:

• Make certain that you have your US banking/financial institutions setup for online access.
  • Keep a couple of US credit cards that don't have a foreign transaction fee. Some banks ask that you inform them when you're traveling overseas. 
  • Retain a US mobile phone number (you can remove your SIM or turn it off when it's not needed) so you can receive SMS one time passwords related to the above. 

Good thinking.

26 minutes ago, rwill said:

Those chilli beans aren't bad but it is not chilli con carne.

I just happen to be making a batch in a slow cooker right now.

No description available.

Yeah , looks similar to the one I make. I just mentioned the chili beans from Makro. Obviously I add ground meat, onion, garlic and even paprika ( green & red ) and when available Mexican peppers. 

8 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Yeah , looks similar to the one I make. I just mentioned the chili beans from Makro. Obviously I add ground meat, onion, garlic and even paprika ( green & red ) and when available Mexican peppers. 

Jalapeno, sometimes available...