Americans, what are must bring items to Thailand?

Guest TerryS123

Material Nothing. Everything you possibly need IS here. Forget USA.

Non - Material EVERYTHING you use back home to survive handguns everywhere.......Wits, Insurance, Safety, Civility, Patience, Tolerance, Reason.

Minding Your OWN Business. No Arguments. Read Up Thai Culture..:... ! 

USA WAY more dangerous so you CAN relax here but always be Situationally Aware. Well Travelled Seasoned Brit here.......

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I have yet to find decent low priced sunglasses in Thailand.  It's either that garbage they sell on the street with absolutely useless lenses that scratch as soon as you touch them, or the stupidly overpriced name brand sunglasses in the mall shops costing hundreds of dollars.  So I always bring at least 2 pairs of good cheap sunglasses with me.

Edited by shdmn

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

I have yet to find decent low priced sunglasses in Thailand.  It's either that garbage they sell on the street with absolutely useless lenses that scratch as soon as you touch them, or the stupidly overpriced name brand sunglasses in the mall shops costing hundreds of dollars.  So I always bring at least 2 pairs of good cheap sunglasses with me.

Ray Bans are hell expensive here in Thailand 

Almond Joy or Mounds bars ! I have yet to find chocolate covered coconut  candy ,in my food shops ! Walmart has those family size miniature bars in 2 lbs bags!

stick'em in the freezer before you leave !

Edited by riclag

No matter what you think are must bring items eventually you will run out of them.   Most stuff you really need you will find a way to get them here.

Like having relatives or friends back home post them to you.  Using Amazon, Ebay, Lazada, etc.  to get stuff.

Vitacost is good for vitamins and has lots of other stuff you can get also.  And a $10 shipping fee.

One thing to keep in mind is to keep packages under 1,500 baht in value to avoid having customs charges on them. (about $48 currently)  Also under 2 kilos in weight.

Vitamins are considered the same as medicine here and are technically illegal to ship into Thailand without a license.  So it is important to keep it cheap and light to avoid customs checking.  Otherwise you will lose the items.

That said the one thing that is different here are sponges.  My wife doesn't like the sponges here.  So I ship them in using either vitacost or amazon.

Also if you like Chilli Con Carne it is hard to find here.  There is a Princess brand you can find on Lazada here but it isn't very good.  More like a paste with hardly any beans in it.  Plus it costs about $5/can.  

There are some Grocery stores that sell imported stuff.  Such as foodland, villa market, and others.  But everything western is going to cost you more here than in the US. 

If you like having good beef that can be a problem too.  The beef in the local markets is very tough.  Lots of locals here don't eat beef for religious reasons.  Imported beef is expensive.  There is some really good Thai beef sold by KUbeef that is cheaper than the imported stuff.  Their Wagyu ribeye costs 1,500 baht a kilo (close to $21/LB) but is well marbled and tender.  To get that price you have to buy a whole piece, around 4 kilos, but they will slice how thick you want and vacuum seal it for you too.  Only a few locations around in Bangkok.

Great question - One that I wish I have learned more about 10 or 12 years ago.

I used to sweat stuff like deodorant, shaving cream, & razor blades. 

No longer - These things are available on Lazada. Yes, they cost a bit more, but grin & bear it ...

Instead, I concentrate on items that are not available here --

Farang sized shirts & clothes.

Vitamins & supplements. 

Office supplies - western size files & folders.

Odd food items -- That special K  flavor my wife likes - Orville redenbacher popcorn, chocolate snacks, spices.

Tech stuff --- Special headphones, batteries, computer accessories.

I can use Amazon for some real hard to find restricted items. They ship to Thailand, may charge a tax deposit. Shipping and tax can be expensive, but they do honor their deposit refund process.  (Amazon has the best customer service on the planet).

We are big Laada fans. 

We live an hour from Tesco, and 3 hours from farang markets. 

Lazada is not perfect, but have been improving year after year. 

There are some other drop ship services that may help with import taxes, but I personally have never tried any of them.

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

For really keen prices on replacement lenses I use the Sunglassfix company in OZ, fantastic mail order service around the world for all models pretty much, had the same frames for years just change the lenses every couple......................................

On 6/17/2021 at 5:56 PM, ThailandRyan said:

If you have sensitive skin the local shaving cream causes some minor issues.  I guess one could use just soap and water....lol????

Have you tried K-Y or Boots' equivalent?   ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rwill said:

No matter what you think are must bring items eventually you will run out of them.   Most stuff you really need you will find a way to get them here.

Like having relatives or friends back home post them to you.  Using Amazon, Ebay, Lazada, etc.  to get stuff.

Vitacost is good for vitamins and has lots of other stuff you can get also.  And a $10 shipping fee.

One thing to keep in mind is to keep packages under 1,500 baht in value to avoid having customs charges on them. (about $48 currently)  Also under 2 kilos in weight.

Vitamins are considered the same as medicine here and are technically illegal to ship into Thailand without a license.  So it is important to keep it cheap and light to avoid customs checking.  Otherwise you will lose the items.

That said the one thing that is different here are sponges.  My wife doesn't like the sponges here.  So I ship them in using either vitacost or amazon.

Also if you like Chilli Con Carne it is hard to find here.  There is a Princess brand you can find on Lazada here but it isn't very good.  More like a paste with hardly any beans in it.  Plus it costs about $5/can.  

There are some Grocery stores that sell imported stuff.  Such as foodland, villa market, and others.  But everything western is going to cost you more here than in the US. 

If you like having good beef that can be a problem too.  The beef in the local markets is very tough.  Lots of locals here don't eat beef for religious reasons.  Imported beef is expensive.  There is some really good Thai beef sold by KUbeef that is cheaper than the imported stuff.  Their Wagyu ribeye costs 1,500 baht a kilo (close to $21/LB) but is well marbled and tender.  To get that price you have to buy a whole piece, around 4 kilos, but they will slice how thick you want and vacuum seal it for you too.  Only a few locations around in Bangkok.

?????? I buy Chilli beans every week in Makro ( 69Thb ) and spices in Foodmart ......

On 6/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, captainjackS said:

Bring an international drivers permit, pereferably with the car + motorcycle stamp from your home state.  I got one from AAA in california for $20. It lets you skip a few steps in the process of getting a Thai driver license when you arrive here.   All of the other items that people post here are good ideas too.  Most things can be found online at potentially higher prices than than in USA.  But things like ID cards, other important documents from home are not easily bought online.  Bring originals and copies of whatever you can.  If you are planning to work in Thailand, bring university transcripts too.  Easier to request originals delivered to US address, then hand carry with you.

Have they banned, recently, Copy machines recently in TH???? Wasn't aware yet...????

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 5:57 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

surprisingly maybe, clothes.. I used to get really good deals on Hawaiian type shirts at Walmart in September clearance.. and the cheap boxer briefs that come in 3 packs.. which I prefer to the more expensive ones... 

With the exception of wifebeaters, these Hawaiian type shirts are the worst clothes I have ever seen on anyone, it seems they are mostly favoured by the big fat guys for some reason.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:29 AM, bendejo said:

DEET-based mosquito repellent.

Blistex.

If you take vitamins/supplements bring your favorites, the assortment and quality available here is disappointing.

If you use sunscreen bring it, most of the stuff out here has "skin whitener" in it. 

Slightly off topic, if you're looking for a break from LOS while you're here, consider a trip to Malaysia and do some shopping there.  For some reason the Tesco stores in Malaysia have Tesco-brand items the ones in Thailand do not.  Or for an even longer "short trip" Australia, used to be some cheap flights. 

If you have big feet you are out of luck with shoes here and any neighboring country.

Your OK here up to size 11 (UK size).

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

With the exception of wifebeaters, these Hawaiian type shirts are the worst clothes I have ever seen on anyone, it seems they are mostly favoured by the big fat guys for some reason.

Yo blue suede shoes, Thanks - at least you didn't use my post to take a shot at the Thai government like you usually do... and i learned something too.. people w/grumpy old man syndrome don't like Hawaiian shirts...

I guess those shirts are too cheerful for you... better to stick w/rhinestones and glitter... 

On 6/18/2021 at 9:01 AM, Wars said:

Tech wise computers and phones seem to be more expensive in Thailand. I always buy my phones and computers in the States better deals and more updated models. Clothes seem to be better quality in the states as well. Some clothes in Thailand after 2 washes they seem to fall apart. 

I'm wearing the same trousers, the ones with four zipped pockets that I bought up to 12 years ago for less than 400Bt. Have at least one pair for everyday, been through many washes, and none of them have been thrown out yet.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:01 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Keep them in America. There is no need for socks in Thailand.

Yes there is, to tuck your money into when you are walking about Pattaya and Lower Sukhumvit after dark. ????

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yo blue suede shoes, Thanks - at least you didn't use my post to take a shot at the Thai government like you usually do... and i learned something too.. people w/grumpy old man syndrome don't like Hawaiian shirts...

I guess those shirts are too cheerful for you... better to stick w/rhinestones and glitter... 

Thailands "government" is in name only, Oh! There I go again, sorry. ????

13 hours ago, shdmn said:

Excellent point. Spot on.

If you wear prescription glasses get an extra pair before you come.

Of course one can get them here but if you're picky about frames but them at home.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I'm wearing the same trousers, the ones with four zipped pockets that I bought up to 12 years ago for less than 400Bt. Have at least one pair for everyday, been through many washes, and none of them have been thrown out yet.

Many might have a good experience as you have.

However, many, including me, cannot cannot say the same. Clothes are cheap and so are the materials: cloth, zippers, buttons, etc.

Why would clothes be any different than most of the other goods available here?

In most western countries you can buy a range of quality from low to high. That range is simply not available here for the vast majority of goods.

I think the OP is looking for the general experience with goods, not exceptional cases.

I think we can all agree (except a certain Buffalo) that many of the goods widely and  commonly available in America are not sold here. I think we can all agree that there is also a quality gap in both workmanship and materials.

1 minute ago, RocketDog said:

Many might have a good experience as you have.

However, many, including me, cannot cannot say the same. Clothes are cheap and so are the materials: cloth, zippers, buttons, etc.

Why would clothes be any different than most of the other goods available here?

In most western countries you can buy a range of quality from low to high. That range is simply not available here for the vast majority of goods.

I think the OP is looking for the general experience with goods, not exceptional cases.

I think we can all agree (except a certain Buffalo) that many of the goods widely and  commonly available in America are not sold here. I think we can all agree that there is also a quality gap in both workmanship and materials.

Yes, I would go along with that, in about 3 of the pairs, the zips in the pockets are faulty, but you can still open and shut them ok.