Americans, what are must bring items to Thailand?

Guest TerryS123

One more: If your bank offers one of those RSA key generator devices, get it before you leave.  I have one from Wells Fargo, and it allows me to approve some transactions online that would otherwise be more difficult.  Many banks are a pain about calling / texting US phone numbers to make things happen.  They wont accept Skype phone numbers.  So, this RSA SecureID device can be very convenient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Thailand there is everything you need you are not going to Nauru.

Yes there are socks, yes there are trainers even the latest models.

Computers cost more? 13 inches MacBook M1 in Thailand 32900thb. In the USA 1299$

32900 THB = 1050 $

• Like 1

I moved to Thailand with a tiny suitcase, the reason being, you will eventually run out of whatever you bring along anyway. Get used to using whatever can be bought locally.

Two things are important though: Make sure that your banking is in order, have a good number of ATM and credit cards. Bring common sense, as it's in short supply in Thailand.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

• Kirkland, Kirkland, Kirkland - especially their hard cheeses (which are imported from Italy) that can be frozen long term.  (Typically 1/4 the price and 10X the quality of what you can get here).
  • Anything computer related.  But not phones, which I've found cheaper here. (MBK FTW!)
  • Clothes - last a lot longer than local clothes and fit better.
  • Joy of exploration!
  • Did I mention Kirkland products?!

Does anyone know if the pipe size/threads here are the same as in the US?  I mean for finished fixtures.  I'd like to bring a water filter (and replacement filters) that attaches to a kitchen faucet.  Much cheaper in the US.

The one thing I miss, is my sodastream.  Anyone know if CO2 tanks here use the same size/threading as in the US (or Australia)?  I'd buy one of these kits and get a tank locally if it'd work: 

On 6/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, kiteman9 said:

Please bring some for me. Kirkland Signature Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water, 7 oz, 8 ct you $17.49 at Costco

Me too.

The Tuna is very terrible here.  But I found a Malaysian Brand at Tops  called Ayam.  If you rinse out the olive oil it is pretty good once in a while.

American food brands are expensive here, but you can find UK or Australian alternatives that are similar.

I use Skype for calling.  $10 will give you a lot of calls, but as some posted if you need a bank or someone to text you a OPT to confirm something you are in trouble.  Still can't unlock a gmail account because they HAVE to email me a OPT.  A pain.  Tried to use a friends phone number and they KNEW it wasn't my phone.  Yikes.

A US address is important for your US credit cards.  they will probably cancel if they know you are in living in Thailand.  I use a private mail box.  A little expensive, but worth it.

Vitamins, you can order anything you want from iherb.  The postage isn't too bad, sometimes they have specials.

Pretty much you can find what you need.  I wouldn't worry too much.  

On 6/19/2021 at 9:36 PM, LivingNThailand said:

American food brands are expensive here, but you can find UK or Australian alternatives that are similar.

I use Skype for calling.  $10 will give you a lot of calls, but as some posted if you need a bank or someone to text you a OPT to confirm something you are in trouble.  Still can't unlock a gmail account because they HAVE to email me a OPT.  A pain.  Tried to use a friends phone number and they KNEW it wasn't my phone.  Yikes.

A US address is important for your US credit cards.  they will probably cancel if they know you are in living in Thailand.  I use a private mail box.  A little expensive, but worth it.

Vitamins, you can order anything you want from iherb.  The postage isn't too bad, sometimes they have specials.

Pretty much you can find what you need.  I wouldn't worry too much.  

I use my sister house in US for important mail--tax stuff--bank--credit cards--etc....then she scans me mail or I send her stamps or pay here a visit--90 min drive

I use google voice which lets me text for free and call over any wifi.......or tons of apps as LINE is #1 in LOS for text-calls-video--I have skype but never use that anymore

Yes having no "address" or mail box is a pain and i just lost my US # as some places wont accept my VIOP google voice #-tho some do, if they dont I call, via G voice

Besides clothes, shoes and socks, Neosporin (find it in Walmart) is what I really would bring from US, it's very good to have and saves you big hazzles and is not available here.

Edited by cucme
typo

Eleven years ago moved full time to CM brought my clothes and vitamins, also single edge razor blades, but I buy these every trip back to the states. You will be suprised at how quick you will not need many things you thought you just had to have.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:56 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Whats all this with shaving cream ? $3 or so aint gonna break the bank surely. Just adapt a little.

Yes you can adapt.  A lot of things in Thailand are much much more expensive.  Dairy products, razors, shaving cream, tools, automobiles, and most imported items.  Things that are cheap in Thailand include labor costs like gardeners, taxi, trash removal etc, car insurance, water and electric, home insurance, and native plants and flowers.  Clothes are cheap but quality is often times not good.  Overall, I don't find the cost of living in Thailand to be markedly different than the USA. Unless you live in a high cost state like New York or California.   You can in many areas of both Florida and Texas get equivalent homes for about the same price as here in Thailand and the bonus is you actually can own them rather than put them in a company name or in your Thai wife's name. 

I brought with me, lots of shorts, underwear, sport shirts, and personal care products like razors, and OTC medicines.   Most things you can get at a reasonable price but often they have to be ordered online and frequently from China. 

• Like 1

Tapatio hot sauce, if you happen to enjoy it. Can’t find it here. Closest substitute is Cholulu for $7 a bottle. Also, Hidden Valley Ranch is $10 a bottle, and there is no good substitute over here. Bring a bottle if you like it. No Uncle Dan’s anywhere. Bring a few packs. I also wished I had brought a few more packs of Gillette gel deodorant. All they seem to have here is liquid roll-on and sprays similar to Axe. 

• Like 1

If you are a reader, I suggest that you dust off your local library card and sign up for Libby:

https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/

Some books you may need to wait for, but typically only a week or so.  If you have a dedicated reader you can use that, but I use a surplus 5-inch Samsung phone as my reader and music player for streaming and playing downloaded music.

Once you are here you may find some media subscriptions are cheaper here (YouTube Premium, New York Times, etc.) if you declare a Thai locale.

Depending on how long you intend to stay…..  bring some good quality sheets and pillow cases.  They cost a fortune here.  Sure, you can get cheap ones but if you’re discerning,  bring a set.  A decent set of 600 count cotton sheets will cost you well over $200.00.

If you wear anything over a size 10 or 11 shoe, bring extras.  Same with socks.

If your in the range of large to extra large shirts and if you’re taller than 6feet, bring extra shirts and pants.

as others have mentioned keep access to your bank accounts in America, keep a mailing address there, and arrange for someone to forward your mail. You may want to consider a forwarding service.  I use Wanderers Mail service in Seattle.  They’re great.  Check them out on line.  Also, plan ahead for methods to transfer funds here.  There are several options.  Do your research before you leave!

Dont bother bringing anything that only runs on 120v power.

Stay safe and enjoy your travels to Thailand!

• Like 1

I have not seen one item mentioned above that is unavailable here except the obviously

hard to procure & expensive Tuna but plenty available here, which is what the poster asked.

As to good shoes my bootmaker has been making my half calfskin half boots for 27 years 

3,000 Bht & just so comfortable

Shaving cream seems to be the flavour of the day, I have not used for years, just double lather up with Dettol Original soap

On 6/18/2021 at 5:49 AM, bkk6060 said:

Larger sized condoms.

OP: Some may think this a joke, but it's not. I'm quite sure bkk6060 is quite serious.

I'm not that large but enough so that the largest Thai condoms are way too tight. So tight that blood supply is limited leading to disappointing performance and pain. 

Sadly, Preparation H if you need it.  LOL ????  Witch Hazel if they will let you fly with it and if you use it.  Can't find these items. 

If you have a belly, hot weather shirts and shorts.  Sizes run small in Thailand so your choices are limited if you're a larger then large person.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:57 AM, sqwakvfr said:

For some reason shaving cream and sunscreen can be rather expensive in LOS.  For example Edge Gel shaving cream is between $2 and $3 dollars in the US.  At the local supermarket a similar product goes for almost 300 Baht($9).  A few cans from Wal Mart could save you some money.  Also, if you like to wear hiking shoes or boots a good pair would be much cheaper in anywhere in the US.  

Agreed. A quality pair of boots and sneakers. Shoes are plentiful here, and cheap, but are almost universally garbage.

If you wear briefs and like brands such as Fruit of the Loom or  Hanes, be sure NG them. Good quality stretchable undershirts are also a must. A good quality rain coat also. If you like plush towels bring a couple of those.

You can get these things here but the quality is poor and the fabric is thin.

Rechargeable AA/AAA cells too; the ones here are typical Chinese junk. Yes, I know that china makes most of the world's batteries, but they don't sell the better ones here for the following reason.

The point to remember, about anything, is that people here generally cannot afford/will not pay for quality, so the stores don't carry it.

Analgesics such as Naproxen, and other over the counter drugs are generally not available here. Most all you can buy is paracetamol which the doctors give you for everything from headaches to amputations.

A good way to make your decisions is the go to the Lazada website for Thailand and look for items that are vital to you. There are quality items there, with commensurate price, but for many items only junk is available.

An item that has been especially useful to me is a quasi-sine wave 220/120 solid state inverter. I've been very happy with a 200W unit by Bestek that I bought on Amazon. Very handy for battery charger, electric toothbrush, shaver, and other low power items that want USA voltage /frequency. Above all else buy a name brand charger for your phone/ device, including a car charger. About 99. 9% of what sold here is dangerous trash.

Grocery stores here like Big C and Makro carry many spices, but not all of those popular in America. If you drink herbal teas like those from Celestial Seasonings, bring those.

All the things I mentioned are low weight. If you use tools, as one reply stated, bring those. I've been very happy that I brought a decent metric socket set on my first trip. Quality pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, and especially vise grip style pliers will save you time and annoyance. Most of those things here are Chinese junk.

I could go on and on. If you want to, PM me and we can connect by Skype phone or you can simply give me your USA  number and I can call you. You are wise to prepare well, especially since it may be difficult to return home once you are here, at least for a while. Ordering things from America is expensive, risk losing them, pay high duties, and pay ludicrous shipping fees compared to using your international flight luggage allowance. Plan to bring the number and largest size luggage your flight allows without extra charge and fill them up. You won't regret it.

• Like 1