Plumbing question.

giddyup

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If the contact areas on the sink are clean, and the parts are assembled correctly you should not need any tools or sealant. 

Make sure the contact areas are clean and the gaskets are oriented correctly. 

There are many YouTube videos identifying this issue. The problem is the water can run down the threads of the outlet, which I think is happening to me. The remedy is either silicone or plenty of white tape on the threads. There is also something called a "magic gasket" which is cone shaped and fits inside the basin hole from underneath, but I don't think they are available here.

Edited by giddyup

Plumbers putty is best but silicone will do.  Put generous bead on the sink flange, then press in the drain, and hand tighten the nut until you see the putty come out evenly around the edges of the drain.  No need to do anything underneath.  Paper towel to wipe off excess putty and that should be good to go.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There are many YouTube videos identifying this issue. The problem is the water can run down the threads of the outlet, which I think is happening to me. The remedy is either silicone or plenty of white tape on the threads. There is also something called a "magic gasket" which is cone shaped and fits inside the basin hole from underneath, but I don't think they are available here.

The kit's I have used seem to come with the "magic gasket". As the pressure is very low, it should seal easily. 

sink.JPG.d0dd42ae308db52cf896b5f7e17801cf.JPG

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

The kit's I have used seem to come with the "magic gasket". As the pressure is very low, it should seal easily. 

sink.JPG.d0dd42ae308db52cf896b5f7e17801cf.JPG

That is very similar to the outlet I bought, but different brand, but it only came with a couple of thin rubber gaskets, not like yours shows.

3 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Plumbers putty is best but silicone will do.  Put generous bead on the sink flange, then press in the drain, and hand tighten the nut until you see the putty come out evenly around the edges of the drain.  No need to do anything underneath.  Paper towel to wipe off excess putty and that should be good to go.

Why is it all the videos show putting silicone or the thread tape under as well? I must have installed the outlet at least four times now, don't want to do it again.

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Why is it all the videos show putting silicone or the thread tape under as well? I must have installed the outlet at least four times now, don't want to do it again.

I've never done that but go ahead if you feel like it.  It couldn't hurt.  Forgot to mention... after hand tighten I always give an additional tighten with a tool.  The only time I ended up with a leak was when I didn't put enough putty bead down to completely seal.

• Like 1

If you think about it, if it leaks through the gasket at the top, it only leaks into the overflow. The top does not really need a seal of any kind. The plumbers-putty centers the drain, and fills the void between the drain and the sink. It gets hard and makes a solid fit. 

The big nut tightens and compresses the lower seal, such that is expands against the sink and the smooth drain tube. If water is getting down to the threads, it is either not sealed correctly, or the smooth portion of the tube it too short for your sink. If your seal is on the threaded portion of the tube, it is likely too short. There should be no water getting down as far as the threads. 

If you want to watch a video, why not find one on a manufacture's website? If you want to gob on a bunch of silicone and tape, go for it. I have never had to use either for this.

Go to the HomePro website an do a search for "Basin Wastes" and look at a few of the many they have. Some have assembly drawing you may find helpful. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

As I said silicone grease or silicone oil, I would have thought that I was clear. 
I mean silicone grease or silicone oil

I was asking the OP, not you. You were clear. 

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

I read that vaseline(petroleum jelly) is the worst thing you can use on rubber gaskets

It may be however there are vanishing few rubber gaskets today, they are all various Synthetic rubber   compounds, few of which react to petroleum jelly 

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If you think about it, if it leaks through the gasket at the top, it only leaks into the overflow. The top does not really need a seal of any kind. The plumbers-putty centers the drain, and fills the void between the drain and the sink. It gets hard and makes a solid fit. 

The big nut tightens and compresses the lower seal, such that is expands against the sink and the smooth drain tube. If water is getting down to the threads, it is either not sealed correctly, or the smooth portion of the tube it too short for your sink. If your seal is on the threaded portion of the tube, it is likely too short. There should be no water getting down as far as the threads. 

If you want to watch a video, why not find one on a manufacture's website? If you want to gob on a bunch of silicone and tape, go for it. I have never had to use either for this.

Go to the HomePro website an do a search for "Basin Wastes" and look at a few of the many they have. Some have assembly drawing you may find helpful. 

How could you possibly tighten the bottom seal with the nut if the threads didn't extend past it? I have watched a couple of manufacturers videos and they show putting a bead of silicone under the top gasket and either plumbers tape or silicone around the bottom seal.

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

If they show putting silicone sealant on threads then they are compensating for poor quality product or incompetent fitting. Using PTFE tape allows the nut to run smoothly. 

28 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If they show putting silicone sealant on threads then they are compensating for poor quality product or incompetent fitting. Using PTFE tape allows the nut to run smoothly. 

I'm only relating what I've seen on a few of the YouTube videos. It must be quite a common problem as there are many "how to" videos online and YouTube.

Edited by giddyup

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How could you possibly tighten the bottom seal with the nut if the threads didn't extend past it? I have watched a couple of manufacturers videos and they show putting a bead of silicone under the top gasket and either plumbers tape or silicone around the bottom seal.

The you are compressing the seal, not tying to lock it down, but whatever. The nut has something of a counter-bore on one side, yes? 

What "manufacture's videos" have you watched? 

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm only relating what I've seen on a few of the YouTube videos.

Any numpty can post a YouTube video, many do, it doesn’t make them correct or good practice. 
there are good ones and bad, by numbers the bad swamp the good. 

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The you are compressing the seal, not tying to lock it down, but whatever. The nut has something of a counter-bore on one side, yes? 

What "manufacture's videos" have you watched? 

I just watched some randomly on YouTube, I didn't pay much attention to brand names, but all the ones I watched showed silicone being used, top and bottom.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I just watched some randomly on YouTube, I didn't pay much attention to brand names, but all the ones I watched showed silicone being used, top and bottom.

That's what I thought.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Any numpty can post a YouTube video, many do, it doesn’t make them correct or good practice. 
there are good ones and bad, by numbers the bad swamp the good. 

All I know is the gaskets supplied do not seal as they stand. Whether that's because of a less than flat surface that they sit on, I don't know, but AFAIK the silicone seems my only option.

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, not a manufacturer. 

So what, does that make it bad advice? As I have already said, leaking basin outlets must be a fairly common problem, going by all the videos, and I doubt that all the similar advice given is wrong. I have tried doing it (4 times now) using the gaskets supplied and it still leaks, so what do you suggest?

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I have tried doing it (4 times now) using the gaskets supplied and it still leaks, so what do you suggest?

Did you say you put a gasket on the sink side? That is not normal in my experience. On top, it is just the drain and putty or silicone. The gaskets are on the bottom and seal themselves. 

3 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Did you say you put a gasket on the sink side? That is not normal in my experience. On top, it is just the drain and putty or silicone. The gaskets are on the bottom and seal themselves. 

Both drains, the old one I took off, and the new one I just bought, have gaskets that go under the flange on top, and obviously the gasket don't always seal themselves, otherwise I wouldn't have the leaks.

4 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

I'd recommend you seriously forget the sediment trap in favor of a "Pee trap" so as to eliminate odor from sewer lines.   

They are inexpensive.

977.jpg.704e1664893f40df7a4f2ff74db550f6.jpg

The trap isn't the problem, it doesn't leak at all. It's the outlet that leaks. BTW, bottle traps, like I have, also stop smells.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Both drains, the old one I took off, and the new one I just bought, have gaskets that go under the flange on top, and obviously the gasket don't always seal themselves, otherwise I wouldn't have the leaks.

All I can say is that the drains I have installed don't have a gasket on the sink side. Just the drain that should seal just fine with putty/silicone. 

20 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

All I can say is that the drains I have installed don't have a gasket on the sink side. Just the drain that should seal just fine with putty/silicone. 

All new drains have gaskets top and bottom AFAIK.

cc29a29c4365b4b6f2d96b8f63f9992e.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg