Online appeal launched to fly home elderly British man taken seriously ill in Korat

webfact

1 hour ago, Hindy said:

read my post properly,i have funds in the uk and a house.

i just hope you have been 100% truthful to your insurance company.

i suspect many expats will get a shock when they try to claim.

OK, fair enough.

Why would I lie to my insurance company?

59 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Do not knock nurses, most of them do a sterling job, sometimes in very difficult conditions.

So what they watch tv when not attending to patients needs, they took damned good care of me in my time of need.

Me too, I love nurses, especially Thai and Irish ones ???? 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, puchooay said:

They are also paid to be able to take a break, a quick rest or just a minute to take their mind off of all the s%$t they see and go through.

They have no more s%$t than anyone else. Would nurses in the UK, example, be allowed a TV in their office? 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They have no more s%$t than anyone else.  

I didn't say they do. Thus, they should be allowed to take a break, just like many other occupations do.

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Would nurses in the UK, example, be allowed a TV in their office? 

Yes, I believe they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Never been to an hospital, government or private, where the nurses do not have a TV on in their office doing other things..

The nurses do a great job, even putting up with grumpy me the other week, when I had an op.????

Food's still rubbish though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I didn't say they do. Thus, they should be allowed to take a break, just like many other occupations do.

Yes, I believe they are.

Believing and actually knowing are two separate things.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

I'm not sure anyone does.

We don't know how long he has been in Thailand so we don't know his visa status.

The article does not state that he is not paying the hospital bills. It only states that his family need money to get him back to UK.

Hypothetical questions.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:31 AM, puchooay said:

Incorrect once again. I spent 21 consecutive years away from UK. Upon my return I have had no issues with receiving NHS care. I know of many others in the same boat.

Being unable to receive NHS care because of long term absence is a bar stool myth.

100% correct

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, superal said:

Just a thought , agreed UK health insurance once passed 70 years old is either expensive or unobtainable but is it the same situation if taking out insurance with a Thai company and if so would you ( have to ? )  declare previous conditions ?  

In my 18 years or so of living in Thailand I think health issues played a part in 5 or 6 of my old friends returning to their home countries.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Inala said:

Is 73 really still classified as elderly??

I'm 62 and the fittest I've ever been in my life, but does this mean regardless I'm going to be an elderly old man in just 11 years? 

Yes. Stop running away from the cold hard truth. In a few years, you will be an elderly man. Don't repress this truth. Accept it.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

In my 18 years or so of living in Thailand I think health issues played a part in 5 or 6 of my old friends returning to their home countries.

You can't remember how long you have lived in Thailand?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

You can't remember how long you have lived in Thailand?

I left and returned back to the UK in 2018. My time there was:

3 holidays in 1985 & '86 (soooo cheap there then ,and much less traffic!).

1998 -2000 lived there.

2001 -2018 lived there.

I often say 20 years.

No doubt there will be criticism of my comments

I am 76 have three lots of cancer, and no medical insurance. I choose not to return to uk at present, I am getting very low on funds

Stupidity to spend 80,000 on flights

Seems to me he is in hospital here and caring here is wonderful, they are unlikely to put him on the streets

I choose to be here have a longterm thai wife and if I die here thats life

I have a sort of plan if well enough get myself on a plane and then A&E and full time care, I am fully paid up on NI contributions

Why not just accept and die here, seems to me people trying to profiteer from his unlucky situation

UK Embassy will advance reasonable loan to get him home, but family eventually pay

NEED TO STAY POSITIVE SITUATION OF HIS OWN MAKING

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, it would probably be a money spinner for them.

That's the reason they used for us on O-A retirement visas and now extensions of stay based on said visa.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 11:01 AM, Neeranam said:

You remind me of a friend of mine who died recently. Not one of his family from the Uk were at his funeral. 

He basically cut them all off because of a 24-year old prostitute from Buriram. So sad, IMHO. 

Unless your family turn on you of course. Maybe you are lucky! Others may not be as fortunate to have a great family still living.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:22 AM, Denim said:

Couldn't have happened at a worse time what with covid still raging and travel so difficult.

Good luck to him, he's going to need it.

Sadly, when the pandemic hit, lots of 'tourists' were trapped (not only in Thailand) and had no ability to extend their insurances, a point that the government should have taken on board to underwrite. There was even failure to repatriate those affected, and from what little I gather, the British embassies sat on their hands........

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

From what we were told he had travel ( tourist ) insurance , that would have been arranged back home (uk ). There would probably have been little problem extending that coverage so we can assume he made the decision not to rather than actually been unable to do so.

The family (understandably ) are glossing over the fact that some pretty irresponsible decisions had been made .

I fully understand from the article reading it. I suggest you read it again!

Based on the story unless you have something different?  He arrived with travel insurance it was stated "  he tried but was refused due to his age "

My remarks is basically responding to those " glossing " over that they might have insurance here or abroad and those who " self insure themselves " one thing I'm not doing is assuming he made some irresponsible decision because it is a fact that trying to obtain some type of medical policy in Thailand at the age of 73 with any pre-existing condition is a mine field.

The article doesn't state when he arrived in Thailand but he had a stroke on June 7th, without more from the article we can assume whether he did or didn't act responsible but one thing I know there isn't a person that plans to have a stroke and the last time I look there isn't a person on the face of this earth that makes all the right decision all the time! 

Let's not " gloss " his problem to me <deleted> happens even when you are responsible!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:
7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Believing and actually knowing are two separate things.

I believe I had two sons. 

If you believe it means you weren't there at the birth to witness the event. Doh.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, NightSky said:

Unless your family turn on you of course. Maybe you are lucky! Others may not be as fortunate to have a great family still living.

I don't understand family turning on you. Family stick together where I come from. That's what I was taught from an early age and pass on to my kids. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1