Online appeal launched to fly home elderly British man taken seriously ill in Korat

webfact

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Brit wife basically cut me off because of a 50 year old gardener from Bodmin.

Throughout the years we heard a lot about this gardener. 

What did the legend have that you did not? 

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Apparently yes. It is/was the longest possible rail journey. No idea how many separate tickets and changes of trains you would have to make, or the total cost of the journey. But it is possible. 

You would have to use the Trans Siberian Railway and go via China, wherein lies the problem. There is no direct rail link between Thailand and China. You can get to HCMC but the lack of track in Cambodia and Laos means the train trip to Thailand is not possible.

None of this any use to a paralysed man who can't speak or swallow.

5 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

there is nothing a hosp in the uk could do ,he would b in a care home with his problems

he wont get better whatever drugs he gets..locked in syndrome is the endof

That's twice now you have mentioned locked in syndrome and yet the gentleman in the article does not have it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Throughout the years we heard a lot about this gardener. 

What did the legend have that you did not? 

My Brit wife!

The world is full of disappointed wives looking for something they don't have.

In the end they usually end up living alone in a house full of cats (or dogs).

Back to the OP, stroke victims only have more serious strokes to look forward to.

My pal (Dave2) was a multiple stroke victim, his last one was at age 70+.

There's no escaping death by stroke, once you've started.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

can he not get an accompanied low cost business class flight back to UK for what Total GBP 4- 5k ? 

80k would be for a private medical jet if he’s completely immobile or comatose ? which he is not.

we are given no details of his family financial situation which must include savings and ownership of multiple houses and various vehicles etc.......( including his probable property / vehicles here) 

Family appears understandably desperate, with other peoples money, to get him back under their purview , including of course Free UK NHS as Primary Caregiver, for next 10- 15 years......

Unlikely someone with his age/ condition profile will ever “improve” so over to the good old UK taxpayer for a few million over his remaining life I guess ( well he is lawfully entitled and probably paid a fortune in UK Income Tax / VAT etc. during his working life) in absence of private insurance or family money. agree with the calls here for compulsory medical insurance for all expats........

as to “travel insurance”; that would have expired after max. three months I suppose, so he self- insured for last 15 months here....... maybe was truly uninsurable then......

but then should not be here with his uninsured health profile...... unless decided that anyway.....

or booted out back home ........so much we dont know but need to know as our money is being asked for.....

I do wish the old boy good fortune.... god knows I have found myself in many bad positions.....

but the odds are heavily against him now........

• Thanks 1

£80,000, That's 3,000,000Baht. If they can raise that amount it would be better spent here, than to have the added trauma of flights and what possibility of care in the UK.  £30,000 would get good care in a General hospital with private room. Aim for the top of the mountain by all means, but if you only make first base , make the most of that.

8 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Difference between treatment and care. As the gentleman can't swallow he must be being fed through a tube. Communication is another problem. Realistically, is there a chance of improvement if he did receive free therapy in UK? It must be possible to arrange personal care within Thailand that's affordable for the gent?

Nice points but seems to me there's plenty of farang in Thailand who are simply bankrupt/destitute.

But if his family can raise sizeable public donations then perhaps his treatment and stroke therapy can be financed here for a few months.

There's also the issue of renewing his visa.

Bankrupt/destitute can creep up on anybody but of course there's many instances of foreigners who don't manage their finances well.

I have a buddy who retired about 15 years ago with a massive lump sum (US$5million), plus several very large bank accounts, plus a national monthly pension around 50,000Baht a month. 

He took no medical insurance whatever and threw his money around like it was Christmas every day.

Three years back he disclosed to his close friends that he has less than 10,000Baht to his name and his monthly pension was about to stop because he had given repeated false information to the gov't agency involved.

He's now very sick, his family abroad (none of them with big funds) now trying to borrow/beg money from old friends to pay his air fare to come home plus fare and costs for a nurse to accompany him on the flight.

Building a fund to get him home is looking hopeless. His condo is on the market but no viewers, plus he hasn't paid the monthly maintenance fees for around 2 years.

Old friends have started discussing a plan where he will stay with one friend for 60 days, then another for 60 days. And that will mean his friends providing his meals, etc.  

We all need to do serious planning and that's regardless of where we are located.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I have a buddy who retired about 15 years ago with a massive lump sum (US$5million), plus several very large bank accounts, plus a national monthly pension around 50,000Baht a month. 

Sounds a bit odd,

My pension is until I die, and even then my misses gets 66% of it until she dies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

my local hospital on two occasions now have waived fees on antibiotics given to me. I can not be comfortable with that so always make sure when I see them outside of their work to pay for a meal or drinks for them. They deserve it.

That's theft followed by a dodgy back hander

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Reality is trying to buy insurance here when you have a pre-existing condition is pretty tough if not impossible. They will cover but not the condition so why would someone at his age 73, or any age purchase a policy that doesn't provide coverage. At that age policies 70-75 for just a million baht of coverage inpatient only would range 60-75,000 baht. 

Personally I understand the need for coverage but some need to do some research before providing judgement people self insure for a reason. Just because someone can't afford to have insurance particularly at age 73 should they just stay home and wait to die?????

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ignis said:

me at 70 could no longer do it...  so someone in poor health ?

Pretty sure the guy that mentioned overland by train initially didn't do so as a genuine suggestion.

25 minutes ago, ignis said:

remember years ago had to get off a train in the middle of the night [Not at a station] to catch another train, thankfully others were doing the same., in Eastern Europe 

That for me would be the reason to do such a train journey the BM mentioned - the adventure and memory making. Knew a couple a few years back that decided they wanted one last big adventure before really "settling down". She's Canadian, he a pom from London so they decided to head back to London (from Australia) but flying not allowed. Hell of a trip with some excellent stories and no doubt something they will remember to their dieing day - or Alzheimer kicks in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I wondered that as well but they don't say when it lapsed though, she says "Dad did have insurance initially". That could have been 3, 5 10, 20 years ago.  I think he is in the position of a "self insurer".

What ever the situation he needs help .

I have never been involved with crowd funding . Yet I can see that it is a way people can insure each other without the premiums thanks to the internet . Things change quickly in this day and age.

.If anyone out there can send a link I will make this fellow my introduction to crowd funding .

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My Brit wife!

The world is full of disappointed wives looking for something they don't have.

In the end they usually end up living alone in a house full of cats (or dogs).

My first wife left me, after 14 years of marriage and hard work had just paid off our mortgage and we were in a position to start a family. She left me for her childhood boyfriend. She married him. 2 years down the line she finds he's a shirtlifter, and to add insult to injury he died of AIDS after passing it on to her. Celestial Justice. And just in case, I did get checked and was negative. BUT He wasnt a gardener and also not from Bodmin (Oldham actually)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, itsari said:

If anyone out there can send a link I will make this fellow my introduction to crowd funding

Click the link in the OP:

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The family hope to raise £20,000 but have been told by the Foreign Office the cost for Mr Short to return to the UK could be as much as £80,000.

• Like 1

Insurance companies are nothing better than parasitic vermin! I for one will try and send a bit to help the poor <deleted>, what a nightmare.....just think, this could be you in onw, two three, four or more years the way this ridiculous Covid garbage is going, these companies are going to claw back all of their losses one way or another and the insured are the ones that will be footing the bill!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

He chose to stay in Thailand without insurance , he thought he was better off there , he gambled and he lost !

I like a bet but at his age , and with serious underlying medical problems , the odds really were not in his favour.

I've backed Mr Lupton in 5.0 at Royal Ascot today , if it loses I wont be asking anybody for a whipround.

idiot, read the post!

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Then the Thai government will have to start REQUIRING Thai insurance companies to cover old people at a price they can afford.

Then you woke up and realized it was all but a dream.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, iamariva1957 said:

Naive? No. Just lived all.over the world throughout my 65 years of life... been to war... been to corners where you will most likely never go.

If you say so.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Pretty sure the guy that mentioned overland by train initially didn't do so as a genuine suggestion.

That for me would be the reason to do such a train journey the BM mentioned - the adventure and memory making. Knew a couple a few years back that decided they wanted one last big adventure before really "settling down". She's Canadian, he a pom from London so they decided to head back to London (from Australia) but flying not allowed. Hell of a trip with some excellent stories and no doubt something they will remember to their dieing day - or Alzheimer kicks in.

Wanted to do the same in 1971 after being coned into a one way flight to Australia . 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I am so glad that i have a loving wife and son here to care for me ,i was very ill sometime ago and they were so very very good in looking after me.

That is very heart warming. I am in the same boat, daughter rather than son, but I also have health insurance. 

• Like 1