Online appeal launched to fly home elderly British man taken seriously ill in Korat

webfact

27 minutes ago, itsari said:

What ever the situation he needs help .

I have never been involved with crowd funding . Yet I can see that it is a way people can insure each other without the premiums thanks to the internet . Things change quickly in this day and age.

.If anyone out there can send a link I will make this fellow my introduction to crowd funding .

Understand what you are saying! I never give to crowdfunding as a rule, but this poor <deleted> has been left high and dry by a scumbag insurance company. I would hate to be in his situation and his family must be distraught. They cannot travel here to help him and their only options are to pay the unbelievable price of between 20-80K GBP to get the poor guy back home! Shame on the insurance company involved, I hope they disclose the name of the company so we all can take heed (but I bet most will be the same) This Ridiculous Covid lockdown with its ridiculous and non sensical measures is killing more than the illness!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

They're in shock! Seriously, a visa agent told me the majority of her customers are British and live from day to day upon their Government pensions. 800,000 baht is beyond their means. What chance any of those guys having health care plans?

bribing government officials for a temporary fix to a life long money issue..

• Like 1

here is my take on self insurance

i have 25k GBP in a Bangkok bank account,which i never touch and use for my visa,(3 so far)

it will also double up as a self insurance policy should i need it.

no need to pay rip off insurance fees.

i also have money in the uk which i can use ,if need be

i am 63

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

There was a story about a 56 year old British guy on Thai Visa a few months ago who was stuck in a similar way for the want of £10,000. I'd suggest that if he didn't have that much money, he couldn't really afford to be 'retired' in Thailand.

Being Brits, we're not so well versed in health insurance.

I know that once we reach 70 years old it can be hard (or impossible) to get.
Then there's pre-existing conditions.

Good luck to this guy BTW.

Just a thought , agreed UK health insurance once passed 70 years old is either expensive or unobtainable but is it the same situation if taking out insurance with a Thai company and if so would you ( have to ? )  declare previous conditions ?  

8 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Most helpful thank you. Alternatively, I understand that it is possible to travel by rail between UK and Singapore (Singapore being the furthest continental land mass with a rail connection). As you say, where there is a will there is a way!

And how can he travel to Singapore all countries are locked for travel because if covid he only has one option and that's to fly direct to london and airlines will want some sort of insurance in a way if doctors with him and that costs money with return flights and quarantine in the uk and then back in Thailand for say 2 doctors plus salaries 

Something not right with this story. Was he on holiday? if so that means he came in during lockdown and did quarantine because you only get 30 days. If not he could have flown back home long before his unfortunate health problem. Not buying this story 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aarin said:

Something not right with this story. Was he on holiday? if so that means he came in during lockdown and did quarantine because you only get 30 days. If not he could have flown back home long before his unfortunate health problem. Not buying this story 

The article says he had been here for 18 month because he couldn;t return to UK because of Covid19. It does not say how long he had been here prior to Covid19.

Still would have been better for him to return and take the minimal risk of Covid19 rather than stay in Thailand with health conditions and uninsured.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

Better than the UK, especially for 80,000

the 80k is to get him home alive (hopefully) in one piece and be with his nearest and dearest along with free NHS treatment. His family's justgiving page is not to pay his medical bills in Thailand away from them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

They're in shock! Seriously, a visa agent told me the majority of her customers are British and live from day to day upon their Government pensions. 800,000 baht is beyond their means. What chance any of those guys having health care plans?

They were ill-advised to come to Thailand on the first place. Significant funds are needed to survive here. 

30 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

And just wait until everyone realizes they need to "Balance" their books after this two year fiasco, we are all going to get shafted big time! We are going to be fleeced left right and centre to cover these Covid costs, a lot of people are going to be in the same situation, held to ransom by insurance companies just to get basic cover, denied cover, overcharged. They are going to recoup their bottom line one way or another and the poor sods paying a premium every year will be the target....

I told my wife if it gets to the point where we are going to be extorted foe everything we still have when we are sick, just make sure I have a good pain medication and then shoot me and get it over with, better that family get any money than have it leeched away to the hospitals and insurance companies.

I'm sure your missus will do that and get put away for murder. The charcoal stove seems to be the answer. But the heat would kill me.????

1 minute ago, phka said:

He wasn't self insured he was insured and it expired

.....and yet he still didn't go home when he could have, preferring to stay with no insurance (which is the same as being self insured).

Not only do actions have consequences, but inaction has them, too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Excel said:

But I think perhaps the issue of the cost of his treatment and ongoing treatment means he does not have the funds to remain here, hence the need to get him back to the UK

Why didn't the insurance he had when he came not renew it .he got it in the 1st place to come here ???????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hindy said:

here is my take on self insurance

i have 25k GBP in a Bangkok bank account,which i never touch and use for my visa,(3 so far)

it will also double up as a self insurance policy should i need it.

no need to pay rip off insurance fees.

i also have money in the uk which i can use ,if need be

i am 63

Not much use if you get what this guy got and the 80,000 quid fee is correct.

11 hours ago, Excel said:

But I think perhaps the issue of the cost of his treatment and ongoing treatment means he does not have the funds to remain here, hence the need to get him back to the UK

Unless he was in TH as a tourist but a longterm stay he won't get free NHS medical care straight away. I would have thought care in a TH hospital would be more affordable. More compassionate surely.

1 hour ago, eastendanto said:

the 80k is to get him home alive (hopefully) in one piece and be with his nearest and dearest along with free NHS treatment. His family's justgiving page is not to pay his medical bills in Thailand away from them.

80.000£ for a medevac to UK? Would have thought half would do. A few years ago a young American guy got flown to the US for less. It include doctor, 2 nurses, transit in Dubai. And the guy was in bits after a car accident.

3 minutes ago, Letseng said:

80.000£ for a medevac to UK? Would have thought half would do.

People keep quoting the highest figure (it's the way media works).

They are claiming 20K, with a worse case scenario 80K.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Thank you for your comment, but with due respect, what type of insurance do you suggest - health/medical, accident or travel?

If you are referring to health, then in my case this is not possible being a Type 2 insulin dependent diabetic. Over many years (27) I was recommended on many occasions to take up health insurance but I was always refused (in Thailand and the UK) when I mentioned diabetes. No problems for personal accident insurance which I had for several years through Bangkok Bank before relocating to Cambodia. Fortunately I receive 3 pensions from which I fund all the medication and medical tests I require, previously Government Hospitals in Thailand and now private pharmacies and clinics in Cambodia. My pensions also provide "part" self insurance from savings. I cannot get accident or Covid-19 insurance in Cambodia as I am too old (77 years).  

It’s nice to see you have adequate coverage, those that don’t should not be there and find themselves in a bad situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

For gods sake crying poor from a family what bs if you realy love your dad get over here pay the quarantine and look after him for the next few months and after that send him into an aged care facility over here similar to the one a friend of mine used ,,room food 24 hour Care ,,cost him 35000 baht a month and after about 6 months looking like he was already dead he  came back to live in his own condo again a new man ,,giving a single baht to this fund raising is a clear lack of intelligence ,sending back to the uk would only most likely end his existence a hell of a lot of quicker than staying in the land of warmth and super cheap aged care for gods sake the thought of 80 k for a return you have to be joking ,,I keep a budget of what I spend here and last year spent 7000 pound for the year drink everyday sprits shrimp and steak when I want ,,charity is fine but not for this guy 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds a bit odd,

My pension is until I die, and even then my misses gets 66% of it until she dies.

Sure but pension differs country to country and can be different depending on the individual's assets and other income. And in some countries there can be reductions/cancellation if the individual gives false data (data which cannot be possible in this case). 

The individual didn't disclose that he had an ongoing smaller pension from when he worked for an affiliate company, and that pension was paid monthly for many years but the terms of the pension included a final quite small payout and no further monthly payments at 80 years of age. Individual now several years past 80. 

13 hours ago, Excel said:

The FCO , if you read the article, as advised against them flying to Thailand. That means their own insurance would be null and void should they contract anything whilst here due to the covid situation not being controlled I suspect.

Not true. The FCO advice against all but essential travel only applies to areas on the Malaysian border and is terrorist related. Anyhow this is surely justified as essential.