Online appeal launched to fly home elderly British man taken seriously ill in Korat

webfact

13 hours ago, Excel said:

You know I believe in Karma ad if you do then your apparent attitude towards this poor guy and his family suggest you should be very careful with your health also

Believe what ever you want.

It was a stupid decision to stay with no insurance and existing conditions.

Stupid decisions should not, for any reason, be funded by people that have prepared themselves financially for this situation.

You cannot go through being sympathetic to all those who choose their own path in life.

Old age is a fact.

If a person has not figured that out and that time will catch up will all of us, I have no sympathy.

I would not want to be in a dire health situation in old age and have no money or means to get home 10,000 miles away.

Why would any rational person do that to themselves?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Excel said:

You know I believe in Karma ad if you do then your apparent attitude towards this poor guy and his family suggest you should be very careful with your health also

deleted

Edited by bwpage3
bug is posting reply twice

6 hours ago, Hindy said:

here is my take on self insurance

i have 25k GBP in a Bangkok bank account,which i never touch and use for my visa,(3 so far)

it will also double up as a self insurance policy should i need it.

no need to pay rip off insurance fees.

i also have money in the uk which i can use ,if need be

i am 63

How much do you think it cost to be treated for a stroke?

8 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Reality is trying to buy insurance here when you have a pre-existing condition is pretty tough if not impossible. They will cover but not the condition so why would someone at his age 73, or any age purchase a policy that doesn't provide coverage. At that age policies 70-75 for just a million baht of coverage inpatient only would range 60-75,000 baht. 

Personally I understand the need for coverage but some need to do some research before providing judgement people self insure for a reason. Just because someone can't afford to have insurance particularly at age 73 should they just stay home and wait to die?????

From what we were told he had travel ( tourist ) insurance , that would have been arranged back home (uk ). There would probably have been little problem extending that coverage so we can assume he made the decision not to rather than actually been unable to do so.

The family (understandably ) are glossing over the fact that some pretty irresponsible decisions had been made .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Understand what you are saying! I never give to crowdfunding as a rule, but this poor <deleted> has been left high and dry by a scumbag insurance company. I would hate to be in his situation and his family must be distraught. They cannot travel here to help him and their only options are to pay the unbelievable price of between 20-80K GBP to get the poor guy back home! Shame on the insurance company involved, I hope they disclose the name of the company so we all can take heed (but I bet most will be the same) This Ridiculous Covid lockdown with its ridiculous and non sensical measures is killing more than the illness!

Why do you assume his insurance company was to blame. If a company insured him ( travel insurance) initially then in all probability they would have extended his cover , chances are he didn't fancy paying the premium.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Maybe I do but I have seen it. Even my wife's own grandmother was sent home from hospital to die.

Not because she had no money.  Thais are covered under the 30 baht system.  

• Like 1

I'm sorry .......................  Hang on. No I'm not sorry for the old guys predicament. All brought on by himself. All his family want is to reduce the financial burden of him being sick in Thailand by getting him shipped home, free, and then getting him treated , again, free in a UK hospital. No I have no sympathies with either him or his family.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Sorry I do not understand, he can get very good treatment here

He doesn't have insurance cover now as that expired and not renewed, the family don't have the funds to get him home.. hence the fund

who's going to pay a hospital bill in Thailand?

What's not to understand?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yeah a guy in his condition on a slow boat home.. what a great idea.

Inside a pre-built medical suite in a cargo container...that's the ticket. Fresh sea air, rolling waves....

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yeah a guy in his condition on a slow boat home.. what a great idea.

actually going to 36,000 feet has its risks - if he is stable and just needs help feeding etc then a boat would be ideal, not sure of the availability of boat travel from Asia - ultimately he is probably better staying were he is, like I said before - some stroke patients can improve over time but not all, it depends on the severity of the stroke obviously, some end up needing constant care - it just depends on his level of incapacity, sounds to me like he just needs care doing routine things right now - a berth on a boat might be no worse that where he is right now

23 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

He doesn't have insurance cover now as that expired and not renewed, the family don't have the funds to get him home.. hence the fund

who's going to pay a hospital bill in Thailand?

What's not to understand?

I understand he could use a Government hospital and save a fortune - why does he need to use a Private hospital ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

I understand he could use a Government hospital and save a fortune - why does he need to use a Private hospital ?

How can he use a government hospital without paying. He probably dies not have a yellow book or a pink ID card, or married to a Thai.  He probably would be charged a nominal fee as well. Sounds like he now requires everyday help, so he would need a nursing home facility.  It will still cost a pretty penny.

5 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Can someone please show me where it says he is being treated in a private hospital? Due to his condition, in a government hospital, I'd expect him to be in a private room which should cost around 1,500 Baht per night.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

How can he use a government hospital without paying. He probably dies not have a yellow book or a pink ID card, or married to a Thai.  He probably would be charged a nominal fee as well. Sounds like he now requires everyday help, so he would need a nursing home facility.  It will still cost a pretty penny.

If you visit your local Government hospital and ask the costs you would be surprised how low they are compared to the extortionate charges at a Private Hospital.

He has money in Thailand, just not the amount to go private – plus his family in the UK could transfer any extra he may need