OA visa expiry - extension & bank balance

G'day,

I arrived from Oz in November on a multi-entry Non-Imm OA visa issued in Australia.  

I just had to prove equivalent of 800,000 THB in an Australian bank account.  

Then buy the two insurance policies (in/out patient cover & COVID cover).   

Because of COVID not ending any time soon, my usual trip back to Oz to renew and come back is looking mighty expensive (many thousands of dollars), fraught with uncertainty and 4 weeks of quarantine in total.  My visa expires 1st November. 

Can I get an extension on an O-A?  Is that for another year?

If so, does that mean I need to transfer 800,000 THB into a Thai bank account (bad time with low Aussie dollar)? 

I understand I'd have to get the same insurance covers again.  

Or is there another option?  Looks like I cannot convert from an OA to an O as well without leaving the country and going into quarantine.  

Thought I'd start early getting my ducks in a row.  Thanks.

Yes you can obtain an extension of stay based on the O-A Visa.  You need to transfer the 800k into a Thai bank at least 3 months, but probably actually 2 months seasoned before your application for the extension is done.  If doing it at CW then you can apply 30 days before your extension is due. You will also need to show proof of a insurance policy that covers the 40k outpatient and 400k inpatient including I believe to cover Covid now, which many of the policies do as well.  Do a search for the topic of O-A extension of stay as there are many reports, and I will PM you a write-up I did last year in October after obtaining my extension of stay based on the O-A visa I had entered on..

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes you can obtain an extension of stay based on the O-A Visa.  You need to transfer the 800k into a Thai bank at least 3 months, but probably actually 2 months seasoned before your application for the extension is done.  If doing it at CW then you can apply 30 days before your extension is due. You will also need to show proof of a insurance policy that covers the 40k outpatient and 400k inpatient including I believe to cover Covid now, which many of the policies do as well.  Do a search for the topic of O-A extension of stay as there are many reports, and I will PM you a write-up I did last year in October after obtaining my extension of stay based on the O-A visa I had entered on..

Thanks mate.  Much appreciated.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I would say September since that is when he will need the 800k baht in the bank if needs to get an extension.

Not sure I follow.

The OP is his first year of his non O-A.

IF he can exit and return prior to its expiry then he will be stamped in for another 12 months. No extension required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your options have been outlined above. This bit left field.

Look at what the situation is towards Nov.

If you exit Thailand and re-enter prior to expiry of your non O-A visa you will be stamped in for further 12 months

Thanks for the advice.  

Unfortunately, I would have already had to transfer equivalent of 800,000 THB from my Australian bank account into a Thai bank account, as that's 2 months in advance requirement and therefore too far off the visa expiry date to see if things had changed.  Defeats the purpose of the O-A visa, which was so I could keep my money in Australia. 

Damned COVID.  

Thanks. 

Edited by aussienam

4 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Thanks for the advice.  

Unfortunately, I would have already had to transfer equivalent of 800,000 THB from my Australian bank account into a Thai bank account, as that's 2 months in advance requirement and therefore too far off the visa expiry date to see if things had changed.  Defeats the purpose of the O-A visa, which was so I could keep my money in Australia. 

Damned COVID.  

Thanks. 

Sorta see your point......however for extension the 800k would need remain in Thai bank for 3 months after you obtain extension then not below 400k etc.

The money can be returned to Oz if not required. If it's possible to exit and re-enter before expiry of your non O-A then no money is required and you will receive 12 month permission of stay.

Really depends how long you wish to stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure I follow.

The OP is his first year of his non O-A.

IF he can exit and return prior to its expiry then he will be stamped in for another 12 months. No extension required.

If op re enters prior to the 12 month expiry, , when he re enters does he also need a new 12 month extension on health insurance and covid insurance to be stamped in for 12 months?.

8 minutes ago, Polaky said:

If op re enters prior to the 12 month expiry, , when he re enters does he also need a new 12 month extension on health insurance and covid insurance to be stamped in for 12 months?.

Yes. He needs the rubbish Thai health insurance ongoing even if he moves to extensions. The only way around the Thai health insurance scam is to obtain his extension to non O-A based on marriage.

Any new entry would also require the covid insurance for length of his stamped in POS so that would be 12 months coverage.

The insurance requirements that keep changing for Non-OA extension are making me less and less confident that I will be able to meet those as a 76 year old U.S. passport holder. I have the current minimum insurance with $100,000 + 40,000 baht outpatient coverage that also includes Covid, but if they change it to 3m THB, I am screwed. I intend to apply for the annual renewal soon (it expires Sept. 15), but my insurance is valid until March 15, 2022, so that's as long as I will get. Then I will leave for the U.S. as quickly as possible to get vaccinated there, and return only after the quarantine is no longer required. What are the chances of changing from a Non-OA to a Non-O? Single, not married to a Thai. Thanks in advance.