Do you ever confront mask shirkers in Thailand?

Jingthing

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You do realise I dont actually have covid, I just took the opportunity to throw it back at an anti-mask nutter, who was trying to confront me for wearing a mask.

Judging by the look on his face, I think he may now be a convert

I am calling BS on this...I saw the same story posted a few times already on IG weeks ago

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Risky business confronting anyone in Thailand - local or foreign. I would not unless I really believed I could not immediately avoid the situation by walking away.

Especially now being a time of extreme stress for many, I would not unnecessarily confront people -- especially Thais, especially being a foreigner.

Hard to disagree with that logic. Take care all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

What surprised me was the bike and suitcase had been there that long that creepers had grown all over the bike and yet no-one had stolen it or even opened the case to see whats inside.  Dont think I could see that anywhere else.

I was in the Singapore airport in the wee hours of the morning and all the shops were closed but the doors left open. Maybe there were no doors. But all the merchandise was just sitting there unguarded. I asked somebody about it and they assured me nobody would dare steal a thing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, connda said:

"Dirty farangs."  Good job dehumanizing your target while painting a picture of your virtuous actions.  Perhaps it's better to mind your own business?

Possibly yes, in this case he was only a few feet away ascending the escalator when I motioned the mask up....And yes, he'd not taken very good care of himself....

I'm not a boisterous or loud person and found his shouting from 40 feet away embarrassing....He had some issues or a bad couple of days - unfortunately.....

A good reminder for me that we're all not necessarily one happy group of expats...

I usually just exchange smiles.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Polio shots and on sugar cubes when I was in school (although this was my parents decision). 

I've always wondered, what did they do when they ran out of vaccine in those days, just start giving us placebo sugar cubes? 

Here, they could put water or maybe even some Johnny Walker into a syringe and administer that. It might buy them some time until they get their act together and source the real thing. Maybe it would even take some of the pressure off. Not sure what it would do to the covid infection rates, but it might be interesting to see.

"Rubbish!!!", you might say...

"You've no sense of humor!!", I say.

14 hours ago, bojo said:

Compliance and haircuts...............young Thai school students and haircuts (nits justification, a red herring)...................lots of compliance................. the locals have been trained to obey authority from an early age......I'm not currently in the Kingdom to witness behaviour, but I would bet on mask felony being a non Thai 'thing' (pro rata by populace).....................

Pretty much correct. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

"Yeah - got into an unpleasant exchange at a Big C....."
Which you initiated my man.

"Dirty farangs."  Good job dehumanizing your target while painting a picture of your virtuous actions.  Perhaps it's better to mind your own business?

Dehumanised how? Accurately describing someone's appearance so as to give an idea of their personality (which was then borne out by their abusive behaviour) is incorrect? Wow, Dickens was a real no mark, eh. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Lol. After reading this thread I have a couple of thoughts.

First, I might start strategically taking of my mask around farangs to see if any of these keyboard warriors actually put up in real life.

Second, there a bunch of stories about Singapore in here that just can't be true. Anyone who has spent meaningful time there would know it.

????

Jingthing, I posted a thread weeks ago about 'dirty farang' and them being easily in the majority here when it comes to wearing masks incorrectly. People didn't like it and accused me of either lying or being mistaken (some sort of subconscious bias). Strange how people get offended by association. 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did you apologise to him for your ignoring the current Covid regulations by not isolating when you know you are infected?

how do you know if your infected though ?

slight cold, ? feeling tired ? bit run down ? 

how many would go to hospital with symptoms like these, which the majority of infected people will get, just like a  normal cold or flu

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I had an interesting encounter the other day, I got into a lift with a guy, I had a mask on, other guy in the lift had it on his chin.. The guy insisted on telling me that the mask does nothing etc.

My response was to thank the guy for understanding, I explained that I actually have covid at the moment and having trouble breathing, so very much appreciate being able to remove my mask.

I remove the mask.

The guys mask went straight on, he backed away and literally stop breathing until we reached his floor, and exited the lift very quickly.

I'd have just thrown you out the lift and told you to take the stairs

"I'd have just thrown you out the lift and told you to take the stairs"

That talk is easy to make on a chat forum where you are safe in your space. Try that in real life and I think you might get a reaction that doesn't meet your fantasy expectations....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Is that a joke?

First time I went to Singapore to visit a friend she asked me, 'did you come for a free haircut?" as my hair was longish.

In Singapore the government offices won't serve you if you don't look respectful. They have the same rules here in Thailand but I still see some sorry sights down in Pattaya Immigration.

12 hours ago, Joinaman said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did you apologise to him for your ignoring the current Covid regulations by not isolating when you know you are infected?

how do you know if your infected though ?

slight cold, ? feeling tired ? bit run down ? 

how many would go to hospital with symptoms like these, which the majority of infected people will get, just like a  normal cold or flu

By being diagnosed with it!

In the not-to-be-taken-too-seriously situation that I commented on, he posted that he claimed he had Covid so, as daft as what he and I both said was, and for the purpose of this thread, I'm assuming that he had been diagnosed with Covid!

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You do realise I dont actually have covid, I just took the opportunity to throw it back at an anti-mask nutter, who was trying to confront me for wearing a mask.

Judging by the look on his face, I think he may now be a convert

Of course, I did!  

"I dont actually have covid"

Have you been tested?!   Only kidding.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 6:13 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Singaporeans were trained by their government decades ago to follow the law. I well remember flying through Singapore many years ago, and having hair cut by immigration officials before allowing me to enter as it was below my collar, and chewing gum was banned, that was confiscated as well.

An obedient and compliant population

"and having hair cut by immigration".  Really! This many years ago, would it happen today? If so, is there many expats or retirees living in Singapore? Did you know before you went to Singapore that it is/was against the law there to have hair growing over their collar?

• Like 1