Do you ever confront mask shirkers in Thailand?

Jingthing

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I do nothing. 

That is an excellent, excellent approach!  You've lived here long to know that putting you nose into a Thai's business is a good way to get in flattened.
Farangs or more likely to get into other farang's business as we are less likely to violently explode. Those encounters tend to end in a few choice words and gestures.

6 hours ago, asiam110 said:

Work quickly and you could land your ideal job handing out fines for mask wearing and not-correct motorbike licenses:

https://www.phuket-tourist-police-volunteers.com/join.html

The world needs more people like you... Don't delay

There ya go Jing.  A job made in heaven for you.  You'd have the authority to act!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah - got into an unpleasant exchange at a Big C.....

Farang in a rumpled gray shirt that had what looked like big black mold stains all over the shirt, dirty rumpled shorts... Many days unshaved & unkempt matted hair...You get the picture - looked a step away from homeless.....

He got on the raising escalator & was about 20 feet away at a right angle as I was approaching the bottom from another direction....His mask was down under his chin, I thought he forgot and motioned to his mask - mask up = nothing.....

I got on the moving escalator with some Thai families in between me and him; he was about 40ft away ahead of me....

Pretty soon the loud fku's were raining down at me along with other incoherent shouts.....The Thai's in between us actually got scared, basically huddling up together watching the show.....He yelled it's nobody's business - I pointed to everybody around replying it's everybody's business in the store....He fku'd me several more times & I called him an idiot. ....He got off at the top & didn't wait around to pursue it any further,  he definitely had a fighting posture on the escalator but didn't make a move down towards me.....

I apologized as best I could to the Thai people that were around to see and hear it.....

It was 11:00 so I figured he was there to grab some alcohol....I didn't see him during the course of my shopping or in the parking lot....

Clearly he was a man that didn't care about how he looked/acted or how he represented farangs.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

... should have just reacted, by then silently openly 'Pointing' at him, and get those around you to do the same...   Once this look me too moment gains momentum, it is then time to spirit oneself away into the background 

14 minutes ago, tifino said:

... should have just reacted, by then silently openly 'Pointing' at him, and get those around you to do the same...   Once this look me too moment gains momentum, it is then time to spirit oneself away into the background 

Like the final scene in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Note the Pointers being the ones with no humanity.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tifino said:

Good advice, I've seen the Thai people do it in store aisles.....The escalator & my blindspot around the corner to enter the escalator, along with the escalator itself kind of removed that on this occasion....

• Like 1

The problem is......................if someone is intentionally not wearing a mask in a crowded space they are probably looking for a fight........if I were built like Maro Itoje I would just love to confront them......but as a 65 year old, five foot nothing weakling......maybe not.......just the glare will suffice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

If Myself and family are wearing our masks correctly we are protected from a sick person coughing aren't we ......Or are the masks ineffective?

I can’t believe people still don’t quite understand this.......   (as above).

Masks are more effective when the ‘sick person’ wears it, the mask prevents the expulsion of ‘most of the’ aerosol from a sick person coughing, sneezing, breathing heavily.

• Like 1

I see very many without masks every day - especially Farangs. I saw laws never enforced when the entertainment industry was still open. They had to act sometimes if there where too many complaints. I see many regulations on paper. But I am afraid Covid can't read them... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Personally I’m not interested in what others are doing. You can only control your own actions. 

I agree with you. But if there are laws there should be also an enforcement of the laws. By the way do you know many lottery sellers that sell the tickets for 80 Baht? I was just kidding - forget it. The law is the law and the enforcement is the enforcement. And this we have to accept how it is - or so. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Singaporeans were trained by their government decades ago to follow the law. I well remember flying through Singapore many years ago, and having hair cut by immigration officials before allowing me to enter as it was below my collar, and chewing gum was banned, that was confiscated as well.

An obedient and compliant population

Agreed,  I recall being in Singapore in the 80's.  I always like to see the non-tourist areas and one day was walking alongside a canal in the back streets and spotted a push bike leant against a fence.  A small suitcase was strapped to the back carry-all of the bike and the bike was not chained.  What surprised me was the bike and suitcase had been there that long that creepers had grown all over the bike and yet no-one had stolen it or even opened the case to see whats inside.  Dont think I could see that anywhere else.

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Singaporeans were trained by their government decades ago to follow the law. I well remember flying through Singapore many years ago, and having hair cut by immigration officials before allowing me to enter as it was below my collar, and chewing gum was banned, that was confiscated as well.

An obedient and compliant population

Sounds like heaven

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

I agree with you. But if there are laws there should be also an enforcement of the laws. By the way do you know many lottery sellers that sell the tickets for 80 Baht? I was just kidding - forget it. The law is the law and the enforcement is the enforcement. And this we have to accept how it is - or so. 

Yeah for sure and the there are people employed (well at least in the UK, maybe not in Thailand) to deal with the non conformers. 

If I were to enquire on the tube with every non wearer as to why it would be a full time job. If someone without a mask comes in my zone I just move. You even get the odd one who wants to have an argument over that hence my previous point re they are looking for an argument and generally Mr Angry. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ventenio said:

What?????????????????????  You mean keep your family indoors 24/7????  You mean never go to immigration???  Never let them take their kids to school?  Never go to 711?  This has been 19-months!!!!!   what about the people who deliver food and stuff to the house???  

hahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

My garden is OK, my village has a nice green, no need to go anywhere else where crowds of people congregate.

Immigration is a once a year trip, plus 3 drive through where I never take my helmet off.

Drop off and collect the kids, never need to get off the m/c. or talk to anyone.

Probably a bit harder if all you can afford is a 1 room condo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Agreed,  I recall being in Singapore in the 80's.  I always like to see the non-tourist areas and one day was walking alongside a canal in the back streets and spotted a push bike leant against a fence.  A small suitcase was strapped to the back carry-all of the bike and the bike was not chained.  What surprised me was the bike and suitcase had been there that long that creepers had grown all over the bike and yet no-one had stolen it or even opened the case to see whats inside.  Dont think I could see that anywhere else.

Singapore is not about chewing gums or your bike. It is an extremely organised population. Try to buy a car or try to get a condo. Then you will understand. Is it good or bad? It is different and can be a challenge for some. Apart from the very muggy climate... 

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah for sure and the there are people employed (well at least in the UK, maybe not in Thailand) to deal with the non conformers. 

If I were to enquire on the tube with every non wearer as to why it would be a full time job. If someone without a mask comes in my zone I just move. You even get the odd one who wants to have an argument over that hence my previous point re they are looking for an argument and generally Mr Angry. 

Perhaps there are law enforcers sitting around extremely bored in their office. They could make a fortune for their employer if they only enforce the law 1 time a day and they could help to achieve that the whole economy is not suffering anymore because laws are not enforced. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Like 1

Only in an elevator - because everywhere else I can just walk away. I'll ask politely to please put their mask - with my foot holding the elevator door open until they do. 

There's been some discussion about it, but in the end wearing a mask in an elevator is common decency, it's currently the law in Thailand, and I've got unusually big feet ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah - got into an unpleasant exchange at a Big C.....

Farang in a rumpled gray shirt that had what looked like big black mold stains all over the shirt, dirty rumpled shorts... Many days unshaved & unkempt matted hair...You get the picture - looked a step away from homeless.....

He got on the raising escalator & was about 20 feet away at a right angle as I was approaching the bottom from another direction....His mask was down under his chin, I thought he forgot and motioned to his mask - mask up = nothing.....

I got on the moving escalator with some Thai families in between me and him; he was about 40ft away ahead of me....

Pretty soon the loud fku's were raining down at me along with other incoherent shouts.....The Thai's in between us actually got scared, basically huddling up together watching the show.....He yelled it's nobody's business - I pointed to everybody around replying it's everybody's business in the store....He fku'd me several more times & I called him an idiot. ....He got off at the top & didn't wait around to pursue it any further,  he definitely had a fighting posture on the escalator but didn't make a move down towards me.....

I apologized as best I could to the Thai people that were around to see and hear it.....

It was 11:00 so I figured he was there to grab some alcohol....I didn't see him during the course of my shopping or in the parking lot....

Clearly he was a man that didn't care about how he looked/acted or how he represented farangs.....

Bloke, you need to target your altercations a lot better. 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I had an interesting encounter the other day, I got into a lift with a guy, I had a mask on, other guy in the lift had it on his chin.. The guy insisted on telling me that the mask does nothing etc.

My response was to thank the guy for understanding, I explained that I actually have covid at the moment and having trouble breathing, so very much appreciate being able to remove my mask.

I remove the mask.

The guys mask went straight on, he backed away and literally stop breathing until we reached his floor, and exited the lift very quickly.

I would have responded by taking your picture and calling the covid hotline to drag you away to quarantine after having sticks shoved down your nose as you clearly shouldn't have been walking around in public in the 1st place!! ????

2 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

I would have responded by taking your picture and calling the covid hotline to drag you away to quarantine after having sticks shoved down your nose as you clearly shouldn't have been walking around in public in the 1st place!! ????

Me ?

• Like 1