Do you ever confront mask shirkers in Thailand?

Jingthing

I don't confront those mask offenders. Nor do I often confront line jumpers who don't understand the concept of one line feeding 2-3 cash registers. For these que jumpers I simply grab the metal lanes and don't allow them to go past or around me. Usually those are Russian or Arabs, and when they indicate they want to go up to the cashier who is almost ready for another customer, I simply reply "NO. One Line which begins BEHIND me"! Works every time. As for the mask offenders, there's no upside to confronting a person who does not understand the concept of hygiene, quarantine, or simple manners. What I do though is simple. I give them a huge look of my surprise and disapproval, I stare into their eyes with pity for their stupidity, and then I immediately move away from them, and I am obvious in my actions so it's clear to them why I'm moving away, and who I am moving away from. Doesn't change their action, but does keep me safely away from them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Only in an elevator - because everywhere else I can just walk away. I'll ask politely to please put their mask - with my foot holding the elevator door open until they do. 

There's been some discussion about it, but in the end wearing a mask in an elevator is common decency, it's currently the law in Thailand, and I've got unusually big feet ????

They don't get in the elevator with me without a mask. No discussion; just a no. I get some cursing, but they accept that they are not getting in regardless.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps you're a mask shirker yourself. Has anyone confronted you?

Yes, twice.

First time I was out exercising and this guy tending the plants outside his house on the other side of the road started shouting Covid! Covid! Wear mask! To which I replied, social distancing, I'm 2.5 metres away from you.

Another time I was wandering around the cart racetrack at Mini Siam when a 'security guard' came over and again said Covid! Covid! Wear mask! I said, it wasn't a problem until you came over here mate, there was nobody within 100 metres of me.

But that was last year though, had no such experiences in the last 12 or more months.

If you see me out and about without a mask feel free to come up to me and say "I am Jingthing and I claim my Baht 100"!!

Oh, I just remembered another one and it was a Farang. I was walking down to Jomtien Beach, again last year, when the mask rules just came in, and he told me there's a Baht 100,000 fine for not wearing a mask. I thought it was funny that none of the police I'd seen not wearing a mask looked like they could afford the fine.

A mate was fined a couple of weeks ago for not wearing a mask riding his motocy. Baht 500. They didn't say anything about him not wearing a helmet though.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes, twice.

First time I was out exercising and this guy tending the plants outside his house on the other side of the road started shouting Covid! Covid! Wear mask! To which I replied, social distancing, I'm 2.5 metres away from you.

Another time I was wandering around the cart racetrack at Mini Siam when a 'security guard' came over and again said Covid! Covid! Wear mask! I said, it wasn't a problem until you came over here mate, there was nobody within 100 metres of me.

But that was last year though, had no such experiences in the last 12 or more months.

If you see me out and about without a mask feel free to come up to me and say "I am Jingthing and I claim my Baht 100"!!

You are for sure the hero. Every not Farang will think just another stupid Farang. But wait - I am a Farang and think the same. Not sure anymore what you are proud of... Being a bad example or a danger for others? 

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I do give an automatic dirty look at them, I almost can't help it, and they usually notice, and they always know the reason for it, but they never fix the problem in response.

A dirty look is not enough. You should take a firm stand and never hesitate to directly challenge these depraved miscreants. They are in need of public shaming and a sound thrashing….every last one of them. It’s your civic duty.

chinmask.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Last week we went to the nearest small town to buy some duck food from a shop that was closed a few weeks ago because some of the family had Covid. The cocky young gob<deleted>e who "served" us stood just outside our car, maskless, talking to my wife through the open window. I was getting a bit angry about his selfishness and told him to pull his mask up, he did and laughed at being asked to, so I quite sternly told him "not funny" in Thai at which point he lost his smirk. There is a very high level of mask compliance around here but, as they say, there's always one.

9 hours ago, bojo said:

is that some kind of innuendo?

I have seen a funny video of a man who put a mask to cover his private parts in public before.

I wonder what would people think if he only covered parts of his private part.

Edited by EricTh

14 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

You are for sure the hero. Every not Farang will think just another stupid Farang. But wait - I am a Farang and think the same. Not sure anymore what you are proud of... Being a bad example or a danger for others? 

Well look at it this way.

YOU wear a mask, it protects YOU from catching Covid from ME, it also protects YOU from passing Covid TO me. So, as long as one of us has a mask on we're both protected right?

And you don't seem  to have seen the WHO advice that Covid is not transmittable in outdoor environments, especially when there is nobody else anywhere near you.

But Jingthing's OP is predominantly about indoor shopping situations where I do wear a mask.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I have seen a funny video of a man who put a mask to cover his private parts in public before.

I wonder what would people think if he only covered parts of his private part.

My goodness. What kind of videos do you watch? I have thought hots.., youpo.. and others are enough. 

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Well look at it this way.

YOU wear a mask, it protects YOU from catching Covid from ME, it also protects YOU from passing Covid TO me. So, as long as one of us has a mask on we're both protected right?

And you don't seem  to have seen the WHO advice that Covid is not transmittable in outdoor environments, especially when there is nobody else anywhere near you.

But Jingthing's OP is predominantly about indoor shopping situations where I do wear a mask.

It is not so much about science. It is a dress code that others expect from you showing them that you care (too). It is not only health but also politeness. 

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

image.png.e454551830b6e3c119226983ac30577e.png

This is the kind of mental jiu-jitsu I really wish I was much better at.

I've found it is the best solution - above all because it keeps my temperature down ...

In my area of Bangkok (Onnut) I have never seen a Farang without a mask.  It is always Thais.  And no, I don’t confront them nor give dirty looks.  I just go on with my day.

I do wonder about, and have a question for those who do/would confront someone for not wearing a mask….

How much do you weigh?  Are you overweight/obese?  What steps have you taken towards bettering your own health during this pandemic in order to lower your risk of becoming a statistic?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Personally I ALWAYS wear my mask and wear it properly so I'm not really concerned about them nor do I care about them. Look on the bright side as this being natures way of weeding out the uneducated and useless locals.

I don't see many mask shirkers in my neighborhood, but when it occasionally happens, I stay even farther away from them than from good, mask wearing people.

Confronting them would just make that a whole lot more difficult. I'm all for the police fining them though. Unfortunately we don't have Judge Dredd at our disposal to deal with these idiots swiftly and decisively.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Airalee said:

In my area of Bangkok (Onnut) I have never seen a Farang without a mask.  It is always Thais.  And no, I don’t confront them nor give dirty looks.  I just go on with my day.

I do wonder about, and have a question for those who do/would confront someone for not wearing a mask….

How much do you weigh?  Are you overweight/obese?  What steps have you taken towards bettering your own health during this pandemic in order to lower your risk of becoming a statistic?

6'4" @ 225# - installed & use a home gym + ride a bicycle every night for the legs.... Wife takes great pride in her vegetable garden, started during the pandemic & delights in serving me that green stuff because it's better for us....I eat it....

Got home yesterday after running 9 errand stops at 9 different places....Wife orders we shower & clothes worn to the laundry just as a precaution....

We don't necessarily avoid people, but we don't go any place many people could be expected to be.....We do mask up & follow all protocols...

Edited by pgrahmm

if the masks are so protective, and you have one on, it shouldnt matter if another person isnt wearing one.

if you are so worried, why not give him a double dose of social distancing (you do you) and just <deleted> (letting them do them).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I well remember flying through Singapore many years ago, and having hair cut by immigration officials before allowing me to enter as it was below my collar

Is that a joke?