Do you ever confront mask shirkers in Thailand?

Jingthing

19 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I don't even know why you took my post seriously as I ended it with

hahahhahhahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

i don't understand your comment, but it's a comment on a joke.  

It's probably because you didn't use: 555555555

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

By being diagnosed with it!

In the not-to-be-taken-too-seriously situation that I commented on, he posted that he claimed he had Covid so, as daft as what he and I both said was, and for the purpose of this thread, I'm assuming that he had been diagnosed with Covid!

No, he was just being a richard head.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, Ralf001 said:
On 6/23/2021 at 1:26 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I can’t believe people still don’t quite understand this.......   (as above).

Masks are more effective when the ‘sick person’ wears it, the mask prevents the expulsion of ‘most of the’ aerosol from a sick person coughing, sneezing, breathing heavily.

Expand  

So provided iam not snezing and coughing it makes no difference if I wear one or not then.

There’s a richard head comment in the post above...  

perhaps it was directed towards you !

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You do love a personal insult. Sign of frustration and losing the argument. 

……or perhaps as you’re name is Richard………….

On 6/23/2021 at 5:58 PM, pgrahmm said:

or how he represented farangs.....

LOL. The last thing I ever thought about in LOS was how I represented farangs. I saw far too many <deleted> farangs, especially among the youth bagpacker brigade that were only there to get sozzled and take drugs at the FMP, to even think that I could make any difference.

I'm pretty sure that after 50 years of western tourism Thais have made up their mind about farangs.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

He was right, learn to mind your own business.

Your fault, not his ................ you have no authority over other white people.

If you'd tried this game with a Thai, you'd have got a good kicking.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Kadilo said:
15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

You do love a personal insult. Sign of frustration and losing the argument. 

……or perhaps as you’re name is Richard………….

When the hat fits !!... in this case you are right... I was somewhat of a ‘richard head’ with my comment... 

.... the slur aimed at you was somewhat deservedly so given your silly response about sneezing coughing....  everyone sneezes and coughs... even perfectly healthy people - think airborne irritants (as apposed to online ones)..... asymptomatic will cough and sneeze !!! - Hence the recommendation for a mask. 

As much as I hate mask wearing... and I do really hate it. It gives me the feeling that I can’t catch my breath when I’m walking any distance etc... But, I see the value in it. 

I’ve picked up too many colds and illnesses on flights. Perhaps this changes global culture and anyone with a cold now wears a mask to protect others. 

On 6/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, Surelynot said:

Sounds like heaven

It was. The bad guys were mostly locked up and the rest of us could get on with life without fearing some thug(s) attacking us.

I loved it there and was sorry to leave.

Good to live in a country where the bad guys fear the cops.

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2021 at 6:46 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Agreed,  I recall being in Singapore in the 80's.  I always like to see the non-tourist areas and one day was walking alongside a canal in the back streets and spotted a push bike leant against a fence.  A small suitcase was strapped to the back carry-all of the bike and the bike was not chained.  What surprised me was the bike and suitcase had been there that long that creepers had grown all over the bike and yet no-one had stolen it or even opened the case to see whats inside.  Dont think I could see that anywhere else.

Saudi is great for dealing to criminals. Crooks think twice before stealing because they could lose a hand for it.

Riyadh was a very safe city for carrying large sums of money around- no muggers.

On 6/23/2021 at 6:54 PM, Mickeymaus said:

Singapore is not about chewing gums or your bike. It is an extremely organised population. Try to buy a car or try to get a condo. Then you will understand. Is it good or bad? It is different and can be a challenge for some. Apart from the very muggy climate... 

I loved that there were no <deleted> locals around looking for a fight. In fact, I loved everything about Singapore, which is not something I can say about most places elsewhere.

My idea of paradise would be a combination of Singapore's cleanliness and organisation combined with Thai sanuk.

Yeah, I sweated a lot there.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One of the things I really liked about LOS, was that it's not a nanny state.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I loved that there were no <deleted> locals around looking for a fight. In fact, I loved everything about Singapore, which is not something I can say about most places elsewhere.

My idea of paradise would be a combination of Singapore's cleanliness and organisation combined with Thai sanuk.

Yeah, I sweated a lot there.

So you do or don’t like a nanny state ???? I’m confused.

One of the things I like about Thailand is that is not a nanny state, thats also one of things I dislike about Thailand. 

I agree that I like the cleanliness and organisation of Singapore...  I like the approach to safety and work ethic....   I wonder if in Singapore more people would be judgemental and telling others to wear masks than do so in Thailand. 

Thailand has its major issues particularly related to safety, think road safety, boiling vats of oil at a childs face height on the pavement, stray dogs, poor electrics etc.....  These are all facets of ‘the lack of nanny state’.... 

We all love the nanny state when it offers protection for us, but we hate it when we get a speeding ticket or have to follow rules we don’t agree with on an individual basis.

The mask wearing issue is an enigma - Some of the mask wearing rules are sensible, then some are just outright strange (i.e. on the beach, exercising in an open part, or in the car with family)

• Like 1

I wear a mask 100% of the time. Having said that , a couple of weeks after the mandatory mask wearing rule was introduced, I drove to the local Big C, went in a restaurant to eat lunch. Of course I had to take the mask off to eat, so I put it in my pocket.

Finished eating and walked the 20 metres or so to Big C. I was stopped at the entrance as I had completely forgotten to put my mask on. No problem, I smiled and said sorry, but I also asked about all the staff I see who do not wear masks. The lady didn't believe me, so I decided to take a few photos. I found six staff members not wearing masks and showed the manager the photos.

I don't know what happened, but now 100% of the staff wear masks.

Edit.

Incidentally, there have been several cases of Covid in that particular shopping centre with several of the shops and banks being closed because of this. 

Edited by petedk

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We all love the nanny state when it offers protection for us, but we hate it when we get a speeding ticket or have to follow rules we don’t agree with on an individual basis.

I've always railed against the nanny state on TVF. IMO we should be responsible for ourselves except when we might hurt others. Things like speeding tickets were before PC and nanny state ism reared its ugly head, and there is a valid reason for reducing speeding, also arresting drunk drivers etc- they are a menace to others. However, wearing a crash helmet should be an individual choice as long as they don't get free hospital treatment when it goes wrong. Likewise we should be able to use any drug we like, so long as no free treatment when we go nutso, and arrested if we steal to buy drugs.

I liked that I could get almost any drugs over the counter in LOS, but here I have to pay a Dr to get my routine heart etc drugs.

On the road I knew that I would not get a ticket for speeding, but if I caused an accident I'd be in serious trouble- it was my choice, my responsibility.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder if in Singapore more people would be judgemental and telling others to wear masks than do so in Thailand. 

I assume there is a law that says Singaporean's must wear one in public, and as I doubt anyone in Singapore would ignore a rule to wear one, IMO the situation would not arise.

Myself, if I go on public transport I'll wear a mask as it's the "law", and if they made it the law to wear one outside I would, but as long as there is no compulsion to wear one, I won't, like everyone else where I live. I'd be unusual if I did, and small children might mock me.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought we all moved here because we hated the nanny state?

• Like 2

We seem to have many foreigners here at my condo who skirt the mask wearing rule by eating or drinking while walking inside.  I simply do not get on an elevator with them as think it is rude to eat and drink while moving about anyway, and they obviously do not care about others ...    

Thai men and women always follow the mask wearing rules at the condo - which is appreciated ✌

• Sad 1

if you want to give any one a hard time,start with the cops and govt thats where the problem lies.most of the thai pop is taught their place from an early age,its called education here so there are few people that dont do that.the ones that do are usually high ranking people who the rules dont apply to but we all know that,well anyone whos been in this part of the world more than a short period or is incredibly dumb.

• Like 1