Thailand must open to foreign tourism and accept some risk: PM

webfact

Brilliant idea PM now you can follow the example of Sweden which closed nothing and had the same death toll as other countries, but as it seems you are two years late and your country is already financially destroyed.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the PM accepted that the economy in Thailand was in a mess. 

I wondered why he was saying this....

Then, in another news article on tvf, I read that "tax restructuring" is on the cards.

Marvelous...????

1 hour ago, The Cipher said:

Heck yeah! Let's do it. ????

Can't spend your whole life hiding. Well, you could I guess, but what kind of life would that be?

Sorry to ask a personal question The Cipher, but are you over 60 and/or have any health conditions such as diabetes, obesity or the like?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the PM accepted that the economy in Thailand was in a mess

Maybe they should rethink the budget and the big budget items like subs and tanks, before risking the lives of the Thai people in the hope a few foreigners will come on holiday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Not much risk in rigged elections and failing that the ability to put tanks in the street. 

I would much rather see them put the submarine in the streets and the tanks in the Andaman

1 hour ago, rodknock said:

he does not care, he has been vaccinated along with his staff.

all they see is more money!!!

what are people dieing to him mean, he does not care other wise he would see to it that every one in the country was vaccinated.

he has had enough time to do that.

spend the money on vaccinations instead of submarines and new airplanes for billions of baht.

Exactly .....spot on!

i wish the Thai people were a little less pretty and with more tendency to be really revolting! then this guy and his gang might be forced to make a hasty exit

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

It was therefore necessary to re-open the country before it was completely ruined.

If he thinks that he has to step down... today... because he is the one to blame for ruining the country, with incompetence, no vision, and greed. So Mr Prayuth step down if you stand behind your words

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I think we can finally put to bed the notion that foreign tourism is inconsequential to Thailand's economy.

Hopefully they will learn from this and show future tourists a bit more respect for the contribution they make to Thailand.

Yes, after years of suckling on the foreign tourist teat it's proven quite challenging to wean themselves and move up the food chain.

6 minutes ago, ourdon said:

If the hotels and other venues actually have to open soon won't that mean the return of thousands of unvaccinated Thai workers right into the middle of the "safe Phuket sandbox".  What is the plan for vaccinating the returning workers?

Spot on! if they are to fully staff the hotels and bars etc for the avalanche of eager tourists they will need their return from the Issan provinces where testing has been miniscule and the vaccine roll out floundering staggered...........yep so untested unvaccinated staff to your positions in the shambox.

14 minutes ago, ourdon said:

Just a thought that occurred when I was talking to a friend in Phuket today.  She mentioned that it would be slow opening because most of the working staff had gone back to the family in Isan when Phuket shut down. The government has not really vaccinated heavily in Isan instead in places like Phuket. 

If the hotels and other venues actually have to open soon won't that mean the return of thousands of unvaccinated Thai workers right into the middle of the "safe Phuket sandbox".  What is the plan for vaccinating the returning workers?

Well, yes, following a digital analysis they will all pull together!

11 minutes ago, ourdon said:

The government has not really vaccinated heavily in Isan instead in places like Phuket. 

Some employees have traveled from their homes to Phuket for two doses of Sinovac.

Obviously the "informal" workers will not have been vaccinated, nor will they be allowed to sneak onto the island. Will they find a way? Yep.

9 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

The government only knows of what a receipt is generated.  After I spend time in Thailand there are many thousands of dollars spent but very few receipts.

So you're saying spending by long-termers is below the line? Well in that case, it's still being spent as most long-termers are still here (albeit spending rather less because of the restrictions).

1 minute ago, Disparate Dan said:

So you're saying spending by long-termers is below the line? Well in that case, it's still being spent as most long-termers are still here (albeit spending rather less because of the restrictions).

The comment was directed to percent of GDP generated by tourism.

No reference or inference to "long-termers."