Thailand must open to foreign tourism and accept some risk: PM

webfact

29 minutes ago, AllanB said:

Na........

No...what? you don't know or don't want to know?

If the former, as i said, do a search, if the latter, up to you.

12 minutes ago, VBF said:

Did you join TVF specifically to Troll or is that just a side-effect?

If you didn't I understand that there are some great deals available in India and Brazil just waiting for you.

Enjoy ????

Don’t give him oxygen by responding ????????‍♂️

????????

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

They still underestimate the effect of tourist money.  Even if they're correct in the percentage, they miss the cycle;

Tourist buys girl a drink,

Girl buys chicken & rice from a vendor,

Vendor buys from wholesaler,

Wholesaler buys from factory,

Factory buys from farmer.

Add transport at all stages, and that drink money has been spent a lot of times and benefited a lot of businesses, most of which never see a tourist.

No tourist and all this never happened.

They always express tourism as a percentage of GDP.

From my schoolboy economics (and Google):

GDP is defined as the standard measure of the value added created through the production of goods and services in a country during a certain period.

Foreign tourism is 100% an export which means new money coming into the country.  This is why it matters.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pomchop said:

How about some of the Thai 1% rich step up and buy enough shots to vaccinate all Thais for free...I suspect mr red bull along with a few other ultra rich individuals and institutions could pay for the vaccinations out of their pocket change......what a great PR opportunity to actually do something positive for the people and country that made them filthy rich ....won't hold my breath.

Looks like they heard your call. The vaccinations are free. 

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very worrying news article from another Thai news thread relating to hospital beds. Posted by blackcab.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28921/leading-doctor-calls-for-bangkok-lockdown/

.com/28921/leading-doctor-calls-for-bangkok-lockdown/

And there we have it. Proof from the horses mouth about testing.

It’s enough to make a danderman  tear his hair out

“He said that public and private are limiting the number of tests they provide because there are not enough beds for everyone who might test positive.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very worrying news article from another Thai news thread relating to hospital beds. Posted by blackcab.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/28921/leading-doctor-calls-for-bangkok-lockdown/

I understand that we are not allowed to link to Bangkok Post but there is an article in it entitled "Covid beds running out"

Beds designated for patients in critical condition at all state-run hospitals in Bangkok are now fully occupied by Covid-19 infected patients with severe symptoms, while the last 20 of such beds are strictly reserved for emergency patients, health authorities said on Tuesday.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Looks like they heard your call. The vaccinations are free. 

really?  then why do so few have shots?  i have read lots of stories of people paying for shots...

i hope you are correct and every person in thailand can go get a free shot today (or two)

6 minutes ago, pomchop said:

really?  then why do so few have shots?  i have read lots of stories of people paying for shots...

i hope you are correct and every person in thailand can go get a free shot today (or two)

They're free in every country I know of....the problem is Thailand doesn't have enough so free or not makes little difference.

Edited by VBF

3 hours ago, KhunMorris said:

Let's be honest here. Nobody except a few middle aged Yank sex tourists desire to come back to Thailand anytime soon. We all know the reason for that and it's not the beaches or food.

Families won't come as they don't want to their children put into state quarantine farms, backpackers won't come as cross-boarder travel is not an option and the bars are dead, the Chinese won't come as they aren't allowed to leave home countries, the same goes for the Brits, Japanese, Aussies and Koreans.

In short, if you simply opened Soi 6 Pattaya as a Sandbox then probably 95% of tourists would be happy.

Sincerely

MORRIS
Ex Bar Owner, Crypto Early Adopter

Let’s get something straight. There are sex tourists of all ages! Just open the bars and clubs and they will accept quarantine. ????

10 hours ago, poskat said:

ah, the zero tolerance to covid cases wall begins to crack

about time that the government realizes that they need to learn how to live with covid and that lockdowns/business closures wont cut it

Sorry mate many people DONT live with covid, 50 today. I would be more understanding if the OPEN policy were coming from a government that was prepared to be the last in the vaccination queue. But no! they are already fully vaccinated so who are they talking about when they say some risks have to be taken?   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If you do not follow the Tourism news and who works in this sector or the types of people that would be in the millions then I feel sorry for you.  You also have all of the street vendors and such that are part of that 20% plus group.

I used to work at a (no <deleted>) very high level in regional tourism. I know what I'm talking about  it's all of you I doubt. I don't need your sorrow either.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Very interesting article. As for the 7 day lockdown in BKK the horse has bolted. That should have happened in April and nation wide not just BKK. Now a 7 day circuit breaker is not enough. A month at the very least is needed. I hate to say this but if they want to get this under control even a month might not be enough. As for testing, hospitals have been turning people away for some time now which makes it obvious to all but the dead that the numbers reported are understated.

Agree....We in the UK tried "circuit-breakers" last year. All that happened is that they put lockdowns off until later.

It's only now that the UK vaccination is so successful, that restrictions are being lifted, IMO too slowly, but that's another topic!

Sadly Thailand is nowhere near that state, thanks to the "efficiencies" of its Govt

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Says the fully vaccinated Government !

Due to your inability to organise a vaccination programme !

This is a virus with a world wide 90% recovery rate . with out vaccination.  It isn't going away, we have to learn to live with it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Anutin is very quiet? Is he still running the background show?

Haven't seen him on a building site for ages.

He's maybe unorganising the next "inactive posts" building - the current one must be full to capacity!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

It was therefore necessary to re-open the country before it was completely ruined.

In order to do this he admitted that some risks must be taken.

Yes, like the Republican governor of Texas who famously said "We must sacrifice our grandparents for the sake of the economy!".

I think there would be a lot less risk if the government could manage to deliver Covid vaccine in a timely manner.  This all could have been avoided if the PM had been proactive and ordered the vaccines 6 months sooner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DefaultName said:

They still underestimate the effect of tourist money.  Even if they're correct in the percentage, they miss the cycle;

Tourist buys girl a drink,

Girl buys chicken & rice from a vendor,

Vendor buys from wholesaler,

Wholesaler buys from factory,

Factory buys from farmer.

Add transport at all stages, and that drink money has been spent a lot of times and benefited a lot of businesses, most of which never see a tourist.

No tourist and all this never happened.

I would like to add to your statement .

The infrastructure has had much funding from the vendors you mention . 

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

You must have missed my recent post regarding holiday entitlement in the USA when the PM was mouthing off about attracting tourists from there (and Europe) 

"The number of days varies from employer to employer, but on average, US workers receive around 10 days of paid holiday each year. In addition, this holiday time is often accrued, which means that US staff will need to be working in their job for 12 months before they're entitled to 10 days of holiday."

In the UK , speaking from experience, while the annual holiday entitlement is a bit more than that, to take a break of more than 3 weeks normally requires special dispensation from your employer(s).

Obviously, the above conditions do not apply to the self employed , which are probably the "cash cows" that the PM is trying to attract, but there are not too many of those about (certainly not the hundreds of thousands that are supposedly going to "invade" Thailand over the coming months!) and one thing that he should be made aware of (because he obviously isn't aware of it, or purposely ignoring it because of his and the Government's draconian attitude to alcohol) - they would probably like to be able to visit a bar or two, and have a drink when  they get here, and they certainly won't want to sit around a hotel for two weeks while they wait for room service to begin! 

Draconian attitude to alcohol is life saving , please get wise to what social distancing means . 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Heck yeah! Let's do it. ????

Can't spend your whole life hiding. Well, you could I guess, but what kind of life would that be?

It might be the life where you avoid the new Delta+ variant, and the ones that come after that. And who said they wanted to hide for their "whole life" anyway? I don't intend to.

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

online polls show not many want to step into a plane to fly to europe for a short flight

Because you have to get a pile of documents to do it and arrive to a destination where most things are closed.