Thailand must open to foreign tourism and accept some risk: PM

webfact

Good economy equals health and lockdowns ruin economies and cause a lot of distress and problems all over in the long run, probably more than covid. Having said that I don't think there is a big rush to get to Thailand yet. It is simply not appealing while other countries are opening up and losing restrictions.

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You mean he did not look into the magic mirror or ask his fortune teller before he decided Thailand was a mess.  A mess made because of his inaction in obtaining vaccines firstly instead of waiting for them to be produced in-house.  Amazing Thailand, where Risks must be taken yet they were never taken before......

Give the man a break , we all have a boss . The clue is to your term , in house .

The government should inject liquidity into the economy (much more than what they've been doing till now), as it's happened in the USA, UK, Europe, Japan, etc where billions of dollars have been added by printing money and/or issuance of public debt securities.

In other words, big fiscal deficit is needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mavideol said:

but in order to do something like that, somebody at the government should have some brains, unfortunately none has...

They can sell some of there dollar reserves . But that would hurt the baht . And for what ever reason the powers to be dont want that to happen . They have brains Mr Mavideol

Yea sure he's ok with his felow elites and friends, they have all been vacinated,
Lots of people in high risk with underliying medical problems will be in huge risk.
What will this C-NT come up with next? Certainly not vacinate all the people quickly.

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You mean he did not look into the magic mirror or ask his fortune teller before he decided Thailand was a mess.  A mess made because of his inaction in obtaining vaccines firstly instead of waiting for them to be produced in-house.  Amazing Thailand, where Risks must be taken yet they were never taken before......

Maybe the choice of the production facility as well?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James105 said:

I'd say the chances of that are incredibly slim unless he is extremely obese, or extremely old or both.     Even then the chances of death are very low with a 95% survival rate amongst the old/obese when they catch it.    Why do so many think catching covid is a death sentence?   It is not, especially if you are healthy and under 60 where it is either an inconvenience or something you don't even realise you have.   

Partly true and over all I tend to agree.....except for Long Covid - do a search if you don't know what it is.

• Like 1

Biggest vaccine test lab in planet PHUKET! All manufacturer's are welcomed!!!

You can test your product in closed island whitch is full infected "bogey's"!

Edited by 2 is 1

5 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Reality?

I remember, 17 years ago when I first settled in Thailand, a Government minister stating that tourism only contributed an insignificant 10-12%  towards the Thai GDP. At the time I considered it a stupid comment as it seemed pretty significant to me!

Of course, the figures quoted are "official" income figures and have never contained the "unofficial and undeclared" money generated by tourists. Tourists are wary of using credit cards in many venues -- and many Thais only want to be paid in cash -- and of course the majority is declared for tax purposes!

Thai ministers are far too naive, poorly educated, and inexperienced to run an economy and have only managed to do so due to the poorly educated masses and military 'might'!

Agree with that and I'd add to your comments:

It's fairly easy to run a business (or country) when money is coming in and all is going well. What sets out the leadership challenge is to be able to run the same business (or country) when NO money is coming in and your people are at desperation levels.

It's not as if Thailand provides State aid at the level of, say, UK.

Either the Thai Govt is so ignorant it just doesn't know, or so heartless it doesn't care.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Desire2016 said:

It's all about money from the PM down, 

He stated that Thailand should take some risks OMG, with only 3%of the population vaxanated its the foolish tourist that are taking the risk, I live in Phuket for 17 years ran successful businesses (not bars) sold out 5 yrs ago best move I did 

If the "foolish tourists" are vaccinated, they aren't taking much risk. They are however, increasing the risk to the UNvaccinated Thai people.

Of course if a "foolish tourist" happens to have an accident or get seriously sick whilst in Thailand and IF the hospitals are overwhelmed............

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

They still underestimate the effect of tourist money.  Even if they're correct in the percentage, they miss the cycle;

Tourist buys girl a drink,

Girl buys chicken & rice from a vendor,

Vendor buys from wholesaler,

Wholesaler buys from factory,

Factory buys from farmer.

Add transport at all stages, and that drink money has been spent a lot of times and benefited a lot of businesses, most of which never see a tourist.

No tourist and all this never happened.

So basic and so true ????

• Like 1