U.S. embassy in Thailand rejects citizens' appeal for vaccines

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Why is the head of the USA embassy in Bangkok calling himself a chargé d'affaires? Did we get sold to the French since I've been gone? 

Heads of embassies of the USA are called ambassadors. 

The difference is that a Charge d'affairs is only an acting ambassador when the ambassador is away.

They are usually a diplomat who is lower down than a full ambassador.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The only disturbing news I am getting from friends in Bangkok is that they are coming up against a wall of " Thais first " which I find ridiculous.

If that is the case it is because of the trickle down effect of xenophobic and nationalistic verbal assaults on TV from certain people in government.

It needs reporting to Embassies if this is the case, as this will be taken very seriously and passed on up the chain to Western leaders, who are supplying South East Asia with technology,  science and surplus vaccines.

I totally agree with you. I've been here a long time and yes it's always been kind of a racist country but with covid its now showing it's true colours. It's not the peoples fault it's the media and government brainwash tactics. Even on here its reports any crime or news with the words foreigner did this or that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Misty said:

The US is also not like "every country in this world".  The US insists on taxing its citizens, even while overseas.  Can you tell me what other country does that?  The US is awash in excess, effective vaccines that are going unused in its borders. Anywhere else like that? The US is pledging millions upon millions in vaccines and cash to help the world.  Good effort. But why does the US treat its own so poorly? 

Australia.

• Like 2

US expats have decide to live abroad when they retired. It is their  free choice to  absorb a new culture and way of life for many reason instead of living in the US.

The purpose of the US embassy is to facilitate  doing business in the US such as signing legal document, birth overseas, passport services and professional to contact in Thailand.

The US department has no obligation about taking care of health provider for expat. 

It is very clear that paying US taxes does not entitle any expat for the US vaccines. 

or an extension of the Medicare benefits overseas. It is not the job of the embassy but it is the responsibility of the local government to vaccinate the expat and provide them with medical service if needed. I think thailand is doing their best effort.

If an  expat health is being jeopardize living in Thailand, then they should consider being expat to a country close to home. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the green light said:

If an  expat health is being jeopardize living in Thailand, then they should consider being expat to a country close to home. 

Thanks for this helpful nugget.

Are you a U.S. citizen?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The only disturbing news I am getting from friends in Bangkok is that they are coming up against a wall of " Thais first " which I find ridiculous.

If that is the case it is because of the trickle down effect of xenophobic and nationalistic verbal assaults on TV from certain people in government.

It needs reporting to Embassies if this is the case, as this will be taken very seriously and passed on up the chain to Western leaders, who are supplying South East Asia with technology,  science and surplus vaccines.

All other countries are only vaccinating their own citizens first, if you are a non citizen you can still receive an injection if you are willing to pay for it. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello , 

I’m a Retired American ???????? Living in Thailand and I’m deeply appalled and saddened by these decisions, Especially being in the High Risk Medical Category with Covid-19.

Why is it that The French Government can assist there Expats in Thailand, Yet a Super Power Nation with now excess vaccines cannot !! ?? 
APPALLED !! 

Same goes for the US's best friend, the UK.   Perhaps a rewording of the countries name to "U" for useless is in order

Edited by Excel

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Imagine every country in this world would supply vaccines to all their citizens which are in other countries in this world. That would be a lot of vaccines flying around the globe. And for what? Most (all?) countries work on the vaccination of all the people in their individual countries. It just takes some time.

As far as I see there is no foreigner in Thailand who didn't voluntarily come to Thailand, maybe except from prisoners. Many foreigners are in Thailand because they enjoy that Thailand is different from home. But then some complain that x and y and z is not like home. Make up your mind! What do you want? Thailand with all the good and all the bad? Or only those parts of Thailand which you like and otherwise your home country should take care of you. Really? 

What you are forgetting is that Nationals abroad still pay taxes and in some cases more than the citizens back home in their own respective countries and so should receive something in return for those taxes paid and not be left behind or left to the mercy of foreign Governments regardless of their choice to live there.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, the green light said:

The purpose of the US embassy is to facilitate  doing business in the US such as signing legal document, birth overseas, passport services and professional to contact in Thailand.

The US department has no obligation about taking care of health provider for expat.

Sometimes the purpose of the US embassy seems to be to grant special privileges to MNC that are American in name only, paying no US tax, hiring few if any Americans....What is Citibank Thailand if not a Thai bank with an American franchise?

Yes, the US has no obligation to do many things, of course. Provide free vaccines to all of its citizens in country....Send billions of USD and hundreds of vaccines to help other countries....countless humanitarian missions to other countries.  Of course, none of these are obligations....

And yet, this is a global pandemic, and the US does do all of these things.  Why does it draw the line on helping its own citizens I wonder?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So that big 'ol nanny state aint working for ya.

So you're going to put your trust in Thailand after all?

I'm glad that's over.

Australia recommended that AstraZeneca's Covid-19 jab should not be given to people under 60 as after effects and deaths have increased.

13 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Biden would rather get illegal immigrants vaccinated than citizens abroad

As I expect his focus would be on ensuring domestic safety and security, then trying to vaccinate illegal immigrants in the USA would make much more sense than vaccinating US citizens abroad who are not going to affect it. But of course don't let facts get in the way of a good rant against your "enemies" (a.k.a. other citizens of the USA whom you hate and would much rather disenfranchise).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Good post.  It kinda reminds me of all the young Aussies who go (used to) to Bali, party 24 hours, drunk, race around on motor cycles with no experience, license or helmet, and then complain that the hospitals are not up to scratch and want the Australian Government to bring them home.

But I can also see some expats thinking that we still have to pay taxes back home, and often more as expats, but what do they get for it considering they are abroad?  Should their government step up to the plate in a crisis and protect its citizens and just put it down to the cost of doing business?

I think there are not many citizens in this world who have to pay tax in their home country if they permanently live outside that country. Maybe that is the part which is not fair and should be changed.

36 minutes ago, John Drake said:

You have no senators or representatives if you live abroad. Just go to any congressional website of a senator or rep and try to email them. You are blocked if you are outside their district. Abroad, we are getting taxation without representation.

36 minutes ago, John Drake said:

You have no senators or representatives if you live abroad. Just go to any congressional website of a senator or rep and try to email them. You are blocked if you are outside their district. Abroad, we are getting taxation without representation.

Yeah , 
Wrote to my Senator , Congresswoman, President and Vice President and got acknowledgments of receiving my correspondence,

OUTSIDE OF THAT A BIG FAT NOTHING !! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JCauto said:

As I expect his focus would be on ensuring domestic safety and security, then trying to vaccinate illegal immigrants in the USA would make much more sense than vaccinating US citizens abroad who are not going to affect it. But of course don't let facts get in the way of a good rant against your "enemies" (a.k.a. other citizens of the USA whom you hate and would much rather disenfranchise).

But he has not ensured any domestic safety and security by letting thousands of illegals into the country, exactly the opposite.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Since Biden has rightly emphasized vaccinating illegal immigrants and seems to have decided to not vaccinate Americans abroad, isn't that precisely what he's doing?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Misty said:

And yet, Thailand is really not like "every country in the world," is it?  190 countries joined COVAX. Thailand chose not to.  Other countries ordered vaccines, at least for back-up and safety, Thailand turned down offers from major vaccine makers including Pfizer.  Other countries allow their private sector to bring in vaccines, but no, not here.  After all, Thailand has a Thai-Chinese billionaire with a 15% stake in Sinovac. Vaccine queue-jumping is rampant, and Thailand has a uniquely inflexible, archaic visa program for working expats and retirees that every year requires long periods of renewal.

Can "every country in the world" boast these conditions? 

It seems you don't like it here. Now think about what is easier. Changing Thailand or leaving Thailand?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Misty said:

Sometimes the purpose of the US embassy seems to be to grant special privileges to MNC that are American in name only, paying no US tax, hiring few if any Americans....What is Citibank Thailand if not a Thai bank with an American franchise?

Yes, the US has no obligation to do many things, of course. Provide free vaccines to all of its citizens in country....Send billions of USD and hundreds of vaccines to help other countries....countless humanitarian missions to other countries.  Of course, none of these are obligations....

And yet, this is a global pandemic, and the US does do all of these things.  Why does it draw the line on helping its own citizens I wonder?

Hello ,

1. U.S. Embassy is to Assist its Citizens Abroad.

2. This is a Pandemic Situation, By far !!! Routine Medical issues PERIOD !! 
3. Covid-19 Vaccinations should have NO !! Boundaries regardless of where Americans Citizens are in the World or any other Nations for that matter.

4. Domestic and Foreign Nations Governments  should see to it PERIOD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1